Joining the gym? Scared of not seeing the lbs drops?

Cerys122

Hiya,

I'm re joining next week and really want to join the gym along side But after some googling it seems that most people don't seem to see the lbs dropping as much as just slimming world alone I know that inches go down but I think id have to see the scales go down too to stay motivated any advice please on the best course of action please :) ?

Hiya,

I'm re joining next week and really want to join the gym along side But after some googling it seems that most people don't seem to see the lbs dropping as much as just slimming world alone I know that inches go down but I think id have to see the scales go down too to stay motivated any advice please on the best course of action please :) ?

This is a big myth, exercise is good for you full stop.

The issue with the scales is temporary and often due to retaining water or bingeing after a workout. On sw you can eat pasta n it's easier to over eat this kind of food after a workout.

Try it, don't take ppls word for it give it a go for a few months and see for yourself how you feel. My personal experience is if you get a sts for a week or two it comes over in bigger numbers after if you stick to it

from fat to skinny jeans

I don't see any difference in weeks when I get lots of exercise vs those when I don't, unless I go to the gym right before weigh in and that's probably because I drink lots of water at the gym and/or retain water after intense exercise. I think long term going to the gym helps me feel more motivated with the diet and more toned, so I can see the results and feel inspired to stick to it.

Having more muscle speeds up your metabolism so you will burn more fat, even if you aren't burning off millions of calories from the gym sessions themselves. Muscle may weigh more than fat but you'd have to exercise a LOT to build up more muscle weight than you are losing in fat.

And everyone knows it's massively better for you to exercise - you shouldn't let any such rumours put you off, ever!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat... a lb is a lb is a lb (a bit like what weighs more; a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks? A ton is a ton) Muscle however takes up less room than fat so there can be more of it.

I'd love to be able to get to the gym on a regular basis and see those inches go down and my body tone up a bit.

An article I found....

fat-v-muscle-resized-600.jpg

Muscle weighs more than fat, true or false?

It's true that 5lbs of muscle weighs exactly the same as 5lbs of fat, so technically the preceding sentence is false.

The idea that's typically being explained, however, is true. By volume, five pounds of fat is lumpy, fluffy, and just plain takes up more space inside of your skin than five pounds of muscle. Additionally, fat has a way of finding the worst possible places to park itself, and doesn't offer you all that much assistance when it comes to improving your metabolic rate.

Trading in some fat for muscle, even if your overall body weight doesn't change, is a good idea because the added muscle will:

• Improve Your Body Shape
  • Make You Stronger
  • Raise Your Resting Metabolic Rate
  • Protect Your Joints From Injury
  • Help You Maintain Good Posture
Improve your body shape within a few short weeks when you add only a few pounds of muscle. Unlike fat, muscle won't squish awkwardly over the top of your jeans or wobble around when you move. If you want to improve the shape of your upper arms, work your shoulders, triceps and biceps. If you're concerned about a saggy bottom or flabby thighs, work your glutes, hamstrings and thighs. Adding muscle alone won't give you the final shape you're after, but if you also lose a few pounds of fat you'll be smiling when you look in the mirror.
A few pounds of muscle will Make you stronger. Whether lifting small children or carrying a few boxes to help your new neighbours move in, a little additional strength is always an advantage. Your joints and back will thank you too. Muscles help to keep our bones in proper alignment, and that protects your joints from injury.
Good posture not only helps you feel and look more confident and attractive, it provides another layer of injury protection and gives your balance and coordination a boost.
If you want to burn fat while you sleep, you need to raise your resting metabolic rate. Adding a few pounds of muscle is the simplest and safest way to do that because five pounds of muscle requires more calories at rest than five pounds of fat.

I joined the gym at the same time as starting SW and haven't noticed any difference on the scales between weeks when I go to the gym 3 times and weeks when I don't get chance to go at all! I have noticed a big difference in my fitness levels though which is great for keeping up with my toddler who has just discovered she can run!!!

Thanks for posting that Zafira thats really interesting. I find it hard to find time to exercise as I have a baby and a disabled husband and at home I've got into a routine of being so lazy.

i have a gym membership too....just need to use it!:rolleyes:

And I intend to from next week, well when I go will see how busy it is (it's usually heaving), and I might change to another one , there are 2 more I could use/join :)

when I used to go regularly years ago ,I did enjoy it, and I felt so much better for it, i think once you've got out of a routine it's hard to get back into one.

Hmm, I took up running in June and didn't lose any weight for a little bit and then it started to come off without SW, about 1/2 st in 5 months.

Now I'd say it's helping my losses. Whenever I've done diets before I've lost 1-2 lbs a week, so far since the start of December I've lost 13lbs (with a maintain over Xmas).

I know it's not just the running but I do think it's helped a lot - perhaps it cancels out the odd extra syn.

So I'd say go for it. I think it helps in the long term and to keep it off afterwards.

Hiya, I'm re joining next week and really want to join the gym along side But after some googling it seems that most people don't seem to see the lbs dropping as much as just slimming world alone I know that inches go down but I think id have to see the scales go down too to stay motivated any advice please on the best course of action please :) ?

The reason people tend to struggle is twofold.

1)not drinking enough water - make sure you drink loads to avoid water retention
2) you are usually starving after a gym session so over eat. Best way to combat this is to eat something small, with a decent amount of protein in it an hour before the gym.

Either way it is always a short term issue and, if you're looking to be healthy, lower weight losses for a couple of weeks are a small price to pay in my opinion !

I was told last week that slimming world doesn't work if you go to the gym regularly...
Exercise and eating a healthy balanced diet surely equates to weight loss right?! From Monday I will be going to the gym 3-5 times a week for 60-90 minutes each time as I really enjoy going and will enjoy even more to see my inches and weight reduce :)

I was told last week that slimming world doesn't work if you go to the gym regularly...
Exercise and eating a healthy balanced diet surely equates to weight loss right?! From Monday I will be going to the gym 3-5 times a week for 60-90 minutes each time as I really enjoy going and will enjoy even more to see my inches and weight reduce :)

Who told you that? Whoever it was, was talking nonsense. Take no notice!! You seem to be on the right track.

I did [and currently do] fat burning on a recumbent bike, I have never noticed a slow down. When I was deliberately eating egg protein with the diet the loss became slower but I was building muscle, that was part of the aim.

Who told you that? Whoever it was, was talking nonsense. Take no notice!! You seem to be on the right track.

It was a member of my OH's family lol x

That's hilarious Nettie. I never knew SW was special like that!

I know... crackers isn't it! It was one of those comments where it was better to say nothing, just to kinda nod and walk away thinking 'what the heck?!' lol x

Hiya,

The gym can do nothing but good for you. Slimming World works based on the approximate mathematics of consuming x number of calories a day vs. expenditure. Clearly, the more you exercise, the more calories your body consumes, thus, over time, the more weight you will lose. Going for a run or having an energetic swim wont see you lose pounds on the scale, but repetition of this will!

A pound of fat is around 3,500calories, so if you were able to exercise off 3,500 additional calories on top of your SW diet, you'd lose an extra pound a week. This is, of course, approximate, but overall your life will drastically improve from all aspects of taking regular exercise :D

Back