Jo's Spangletastic Jibberings- a Joyous Journey

Hey Lady. I get weighed in exactly a week from today as my CDC is away. Eeeeeek.

Spangleicious Day 3

Day 3.....DO IT ANYWAY!

I love this section of La Spangle which summarises perfectly what often goes wrong with my missions.....

''People who are interested in losing weight

** 1. Stick with it until something better comes along

** 2. Take action only if they "feel like" doing it

** 3. Need to see results in order to stay motivated

** 4. Blame people or circumstances for their struggles

** 5. Easily give up when they face challenges

People who are committed to losing weight

** 1. Stick with their plans no matter what

** 2. Take action whether they feel like doing it or not

** 3. Assume that if they stay motivated, results will follow

** 4. Take responsibility for their own actions

** 5. Keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks''
*-Today's Tasks-*
1.In your diet or exercise plan, identify a task you don't feel like doing, and then do it anyway!

I really don't feel like going for a run today. It is raining and horrid out there and not appealing to me at all. I will do it though and report back this evening. I need to JUST DO IT, no matter what. No matter how I feel. No matter how hard it rains. I need to just do it.

This is what happens so often with me in life. I struggle to balance my level of commitment with wether or not I 'feel' like doing something. Here's how....

* I don't FEEL like going to my class tonight. I FEEL tired and have had a hard day

* I don't FEEL like running.*

* I lost only one single pantsy pound. I don't FEEL like this is working so I'll veer off a bit.*

* I FEEL like eating a chow mein tonight. I don't FEEL like eating that salmon and veg.

* I FEEL like having an extra bar...

2.Notice how it feels to accomplish a goal by taking a "no matter what" approach to it.

In short, amazing.....when you push on through you get such a feeling of success. On the other hand, when you give into your feelings, you feel so rubbish, low, like a total failure.*

3.In your notebook, make a list of actions you plan to stick with today, regardless of how you feel at the moment.

* 3 mile run
* phone my mother
* ironing*
* stick to my plan

Doing these little analyses really helps me to identify the causes of my previous undoings......how I give into how I FEEL is a massive cause of caving in.*

Xx

Ooh, it's like reading back through my own diary... The nostalgia... :D

Well - I've had a well-good 'do it anyway' day. Be prepared to be impressed, okay?

I've defrosted the freezer (yikes, that was a nightmare. I suspect it's been years since I last did it. :eek:)

I've done 3 lots of washing and hung it up to dry all over the house, LOL.

I've cleared out my wardrobe :eek: :eek: Everything left in there now hangs and isn't being 'ironed' by the rest of the clothes there.

I have 2 enormous bagfuls of clothes to dispose of. I need to go to the tip with 3 other bags of rubbish too but it's raining and I'm not in the mood to get soaked.

I've tidied up the kitchen. I've put the toaster away (well, no one's even eating toast anymore in this house!). I've arranged our vast selection of teas into some kind of order (I thought about alphabetical, but figured that might be going a bit far... :D).

I feel like Superwoman, LOL.

Needs some more Beck Credit now!

Ah - yes. Judith Beck. Have you got it? I'm not 100% sure that you'll need it now that you're being Spangled. Something to consider if you need more when you're done with 100 Days. She's a lot bossier than Linda. :D

Have you phoned your mother yet? :D :D :D

Ooh, it's like reading back through my own diary... The nostalgia... :D

Well - I've had a well-good 'do it anyway' day. Be prepared to be impressed, okay?I've defrosted the freezer (yikes, that was a nightmare. I suspect it's been years since I last did it. :eek:)I've done 3 lots of washing and hung it up to dry all over the house, LOL. I've cleared out my wardrobe :eek: :eek: Everything left in there now hangs and isn't being 'ironed' by the rest of the clothes there.I have 2 enormous bagfuls of clothes to dispose of. I need to go to the tip with 3 other bags of rubbish too but it's raining and I'm not in the mood to get soaked.I've tidied up the kitchen. Needs some more Beck Credit now!
Ah - yes. Judith Beck. I'm not 100% sure that you'll need it now that you're being Spangled.She's a lot bossier than Linda. :D

Have you phoned your mother yet? :D :D :D

What a day you've had lady!! You are blooming unstoppable...

To use your quote on my iPad I've had to cut bits out cos I can't scroll through the text box and there are no down arrows....just invade it looks like I've edited you. Lol.

I lazed all day and then phoned my mother. She wasn't there...does that count?? I ran 3 miles and stuck to my plan and am gearing up to face the ironing pile.

I did eat a teeny bit more protein today....had 130g chicken plus two small eggs. How very naughty of me.

Lily, being Spangled has rocked my little mental world. Makes so much sense, like you say. She speaks to my inner diet wrecker in a soothing though directive manner.

So how is it going in the GOLD club then? Always delighted when you call by.

It was your banter with Carla that lured me into this amazing forum....thanks to you both xxx

Missy Jo - totaly on the metal in your earlier post...it's all about the feelings isnt it!!! I feel like it, or I dont feel like it. My question is, why do we allow our inner doom merchant take over the running of the ship!

I am so totaly spanglafied and the 100 day challenge is absolutely perfect for me because thats about 14 weeks isnt it, and hopefully I will have changed my mindset to food and be able to live a normal lifestyle when I come out of my CD coma...

Maybe I will have to blag the other half into buying me an ipone/ipad/kindle....I am quite liking the idea of not having to cart a book around with me.

Missy Jo - totaly on the metal in your earlier post...it's all about the feelings isnt it!!! I feel like it, or I dont feel like it. My question is, why do we allow our inner doom merchant take over the running of the ship!

I am so totaly spanglafied and the 100 day challenge is absolutely perfect for me because thats about 14 weeks isnt it, and hopefully I will have changed my mindset to food and be able to live a normal lifestyle when I come out of my CD coma...

Maybe I will have to blag the other half into buying me an ipone/ipad/kindle....I am quite liking the idea of not having to cart a book around with me.

Thanks Betty!! I agree, whatever web tell ourselves goes if our mind jabber on enough!! Thinking about commitment the role of feelings has helped me so much already. I think all us Spanglers are turbo powered for the next 90 odd days now :).

The doom merchant doesn't appear in my brain....but a little impulsive imp does. When I fall off the wagon it happens so blooming fast that I often don't have time to summon any counterbalancing thoughts. Need to slow down.

Get that man to get you that kit, lady. Lol. I moaned on til he caved in :)

Hehe. Have a lovely day xxxx

HAPPY TUESDAY HONIES XXXXX

Same to you Jo!

Whats the spangle for the day???

Have a great day beautiful!! xx

Jo, this diary is genius.... the 'commitment' stuff has been going round my head all day and helping!!!

xxx

Spangle of the Day

Same to you Jo!

Whats the spangle for the day???

It's a long un

Day 4

Today's Tasks-*

Useful quote:

'As you walk on the road each day, your goal is to stay between the sides of the road. Unlike strict or rigid diet plans, boundaries stay flexible. They provide guidelines, but at the same time, they allow for common sense and good judgment.'

The PRESENT is the narrow road.*

In practice, this means doing SS Monday through Thursday and then doing SS+ Friday to Sunday.*

Exercise wise it means a minimum of two 3 mile runs and one class per week while on CD

It means saying no, consistently and reminding myself of the conflict between my commitment, interest and being aware of issues caused by my feelings

The NARROW ROAD involves regularly revisiting my goals and keeping up my positive mental attitude.*

The NARROW ROAD involves JUST DOING IT WITHOUT QUESTION.*

THE WIDER ROAD

This will be for maintenance and as an alternative. *I am a but confused about it to be fair, because days 1 to 3 of La Spangle focused on being committed at all costs. I am finding it difficult to envisage a wider road for this phase of my plan!*

I only want to think of the narrow road....perhaps I need to reflect and come back to this later!!

**some time later**

I got on the scales and saw that there has been no change at all since last Thursday. I mean, ok I ate a slice of quiche bigger than my own head, but I still didn't expect that.

I got myself all fed up and ate all my meals by 4pm (not all at once). It felt impulsive, rebellious.*

After I had 'messed up' I avoided berating myself. Instead I conceded to have made a choice and assured myself that I would now face the evening with no CD. I decided that this is not self-punishment because we know that our CD meals are not about satisfying hunger.*

The NARROW ROAD in this scenario is what I have chosen to do. To not have an extra CD. To accept I made a choice because I was hungry and cold and dejected and frustrated. To live with that.*

The WIDER ROAD is an option I can take if hunger kicks in. I have already kind of agreed to myself that I can have a small portion of protein but only if I am REALLY desperate.*

I think I understand the concept a bit now. Loving la Spangle :)

Jo, this diary is genius.... the 'commitment' stuff has been going round my head all day and helping!!!

xxx

Hello again Sparkly Charlotte!! Where have you beeeeeeen?? I've missed you. How is it going?? Xxx

**some time later**

I got on the scales and saw that there has been no change at all since last Thursday. I mean, ok I ate a slice of quiche bigger than my own head, but I still didn't expect that.

I got myself all fed up and ate all my meals by 4pm (not all at once). It felt impulsive, rebellious.*

After I had 'messed up' I avoided berating myself. Instead I conceded to have made a choice and assured myself that I would now face the evening with no CD. I decided that this is not self-punishment because we know that our CD meals are not about satisfying hunger.*

The NARROW ROAD in this scenario is what I have chosen to do. To not have an extra CD. To accept I made a choice because I was hungry and cold and dejected and frustrated. To live with that.*

The WIDER ROAD is an option I can take if hunger kicks in. I have already kind of agreed to myself that I can have a small portion of protein but only if I am REALLY desperate.*

I think I understand the concept a bit now. Loving la Spangle :)

Loving these posts - go go Missy Jo! :banana dancer:

My wider road gave me a worst cases scenario of doing Atkins for the day - the bonus of that being that I'd stay in ketosis, if nothing else.

It's up to you - of course it's up to you - but you might want to think about widening your wide road just a bit. I suspect the theory behind it is to lessen any sense that you've failed if you have a day where you've been less than perfect. Because it's often the sense of failure that boots us off the wagon more than the actual food we've eaten.

Now I can see that my approach to the wide road might be a bit too wide for you - but I don't think it'd hurt to widen out to maybe 810. Like I said - your decision. But think about it, okay? :)

I'm good thanks, up and down with cd but as ling as the scales go down I don't care!

You sound so full of beans and positive, its fab xxx

So interesting!!!

I think the narrow road (the road of control and restriction) versus the wider road (the road of choice and control) are two very scary places for those of us who have commited to a "lifestyle" of weightloss for the foreseable. The narrow road is the road of limitation, the road of struggle, the road that seems like it has no end, the one when you begin to drive down it, you feel like turning back.
The wide road is the road where things can happen, cows can run into the middle of it, holding bags of crisps or cakes, there are so many distractions and turnings, you can chose to stay on the road, turn off the road, switch lanes or freak out and become a car crash...SCARY.

The narrow road, for me...

* commiting to SS for the foreseable.
* Building my life around excercise, even 10 minutes a day is better than no minutes - no excuses just do it.
* keeping an eye on the prize - I know what I want, I know how much better I already feel, and I imagine how much better I will feel in14 weeks time
* Staying in control for a bit will allow me to break old habits and develop new ones, while limiting my fear of failiure and returning to my old coping mechanisms of nomming everything with a sugar content of more than 10g per 100.

The wide road

* I know that the narrow road can't last forever eventually it will become a dual carridgeway or even a motorway.
* I will be able to make the right choices for my health and welbeing in the future.
*I trust myself enough to be able to resist my old temptations and deal better with my FEELINGS, I will be able to self soothe without OD'ing on sweet stuff, because I WILL BE THE SWEET STUFF.
* After 100 days a behaviour becomes a habit and a habit fits with a lifestyle. So 100 days down the line, all this will be my lifestyle.

Thats what I came up with for today...

MissyJo. Dont feel bad, you know and I know, that is the inner critic talking to you, when you look at the scales and they dont move, your inner critic just says "hey I told you, you cant do it". You know a piece of quiche *no matter how big* can't cause you to stay the same, its the biological effect of eating, then starving for a few days. This is your body, saying NOT ON YOUR NELLY, you are not stealing this from me, it is mine I tell you MINE.

I liked your insight into it though, you went off on one, you eat all your CD, but you know that you are not having anymore, not as a punishment, but because thats what being responsible and in control is all about. You have to face up to the consequence of your actions, and just take better actions next time.

Drink that water, massage those bits of you that swell up when you retain the water. RELAX. Tomorrow is a new day and there are well more than 90 of them left.

Nat

Great post Nat... I seem to be permanently on the wide road, but as long as my weights gpibg down, cd is working better than anything else in the past 2 years has for me! Xxx

Do you know what? I am actually speechless. Utterly moved by the level of thought and reflection and support and friendship you guys put into posts....from the fleeting messages of support to personal reflections.

I learn so much from bantering with you....i am so warmed by the contact. Going to have another little read and pull bits out.

Big smiles here xxx

So interesting!!!

I think the narrow road (the road of control and restriction) versus the wider road (the road of choice and control) are two very scary places for those of us who have commited to a "lifestyle" of weightloss for the foreseable. The narrow road is the road of limitation, the road of struggle, the road that seems like it has no end, the one when you begin to drive down it, you feel like turning back.
The wide road is the road where things can happen, cows can run into the middle of it, holding bags of crisps or cakes, there are so many distractions and turnings, you can chose to stay on the road, turn off the road, switch lanes or freak out and become a car crash...SCARY.

My God - cows with crisps and cakes? :eek: Where do you live??? :D :D Remind me never to move there!

Great post!

Back