Jo's Spangletastic Jibberings- a Joyous Journey

There is a strong correlation here Ladies, query PCOS, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, visceral fat storage...

This is something that you are so very right about. The medical profession know these are all strong indicators for cardivascular disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood preasure etc.

I found this on mednet a while ago which about explains the state of play with treatment on non-specific sugar metabolic issues.

The ideal treatment of IR has not yet been agreed upon. Diabetes experts can help with options currently available for diabetes. While IR is associated with an increased risk of death, there has been no major study to show that treating IR early reduces the risks of complications. It is my personal opinion that over the next few years, we will see an important shift in the treatment of diabetes. While the actual treatment of diabetes will continue, and be more precise, I think we will start to see doctors focus their attention on the treatment of earlier forms of abnormal sugar metabolism (prediabetes).
In our clinic, we have taken to measuring fasting insulin and glucose levels in patients at risk for the development of diabetes, or with associated complaints such as polycystic ovarian syndrome. If insulin levels are high, we discuss treatment options including specific lifestyle changes as well as medications. While there are pros and cons to any argument, one thing is certain. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including exercise and good nutrition, is really the best way to prevent and reverse the course of IR and its complications down the road

By the way, to get a diagnosis of PCOS (in the absence of any actual cysts - I had to go private!)

So meanwhile loads of women like us, have to wrestle with these issues daily and feel like we are lazy b's who are slowly losing our minds and our battles with our weight!

Thankfully, we all know this, and its time for us to fight back. F you insulin, stop flooding my body and confusing the situation.

Right off to work, stopping by holland and barrett en route for some magnesium zinc and B vitamins!

Morning Jo, well done on getting through the buffet! That sounds like what my OH's Mum would give us all when we are not on a diet. My OH eats like a pig! I have no idea how he survived on her rations!!

Excellent discussion of the hormonal pap we girls have to go through
I kept going back to my doc and asking him why I couldn't lose weight on a slimming world plan even though I am very active....

This didn't work. I just kept getting patronised.

So I changed doctors and also reviewed opening gambit.

Instead of the opener 'why can't I lose weight?' which only leads to a response of 'eat less' 'go to the gym' 'tone uo' 'have you tried slimming world....oh, then try weight watchers instead'.....and on and on and on, I tried this:

Doctor, do ai look like the kind of person who

A doesn't drink alcohol
B follows a slimming club plan to the letter
C runs 4-5 miles three times a week and
D does 3 body pump classes a week???

It worked. Initially. She described me as a classic case of PCOS and sent me to get my ovaries scanned. Which drew a blank because they appear to be structurally normal.

So I just gave up, took matters into my own hands and decided that my body can't do carbs. Cambridge loomed into view as a viable option.

Our stories have so many commonalities girls. Hormones are a major player in our battles with our zippers......

So good that you lot get it. Xxx

MMmm makes me wonder as a few people have told me they think I have it too but have done anything about it.
One of my key reasons for weight loss is to try and start a family later this year do I hope everything is ok in that dept.
My friend cud not believe when we went away we would eat n drink exactly the same literally for two weeks except she'd throw back more booze as I am not a big drinker. We did loads of walking n swimming and she gained 1lb in two weeks and I gained 1.5stone. Happened on six holidays and she still tells everyone that something is wrong with me.
Anyway I continue with my quest to drink water blurgh xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Heeeeeeeeelp!

Why did I just go to the vending machine, buy a bag of Steak McCoys and a Biscuit and Raisin Yorkie and eat them?

I did it quite consciously. Felt hungry. emotionally and physically.

Told myself that if I wanted them I would have them but I would have to savour them

Which I did

But now I feel rubbishy about it.

Scared :(

I've been struggling like that lately too hon, it's odd isn't it? Even though you KNOW what to do with Linda's book you still consciously eat it anyway. Because you simply want to. Don't worry about it, only a pause to enjoy the scenery ;)

Oh Jo we like all the same things I'd trough them too.
Now this is so not like you. Normally you control your 'cheats' by sticking to protein.
Maybe Its because you are getting closer to goal and feel you can afford these risks and because you have such good willpower for getting back on the wagon.
So you are tired physically and emotionally. So this is the trigger and the outcome is that you need a plan of action or an emergency protein ration to use next time.
Don't worry you will get through it hunni n I am here for you xx

Awwww, love you lot you know

I think I am just an idiot to be fair.

I just wanted them. Ignored my rational brain and fed my money into the slot.

I did enjoy them. Now I must stay calm and deal with the consqeuences.

Do you sometimes feel you sabotage yourself on purpose??

LOL xx

oh, and AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHGHGHGHGHH

Yes I think we do sabotage it ourselves sometimes and it reminds me of something from when I worked in a secure forensic hospital. All my patients ever went on about was getting out of there. Now several patients got so close like weeks away from discharge then took drugs or ran off AWOL etc because sometimes the next step can be quite daunting and we just aren't ready for it hence the self sabotage.
But it's just a small trip over a small stone on the wide gravel path to success Jo. So all you can do is put a plaster on the graze and keep on going.
Big hugs from me xxx

Yes I think we do sabotage it ourselves sometimes and it reminds me of something from when I worked in a secure forensic hospital. All my patients ever went on about was getting out of there. Now several patients got so close like weeks away from discharge then took drugs or ran off AWOL etc because sometimes the next step can be quite daunting and we just aren't ready for it hence the self sabotage.
But it's just a small trip over a small stone on the wide gravel path to success Jo. So all you can do is put a plaster on the graze and keep on going.
Big hugs from me xxx

That makes so much sense Katie. There is definitely something impish and rebellious buried in my psyche....sometimes I kind of wonder if my weight gain was a bit of abusive self denial. Not wanting to be attractive maybe? Blimey, we're deep today.

Anyway....the good news is that I didn't go off the rails any more today.

I ran over 4 miles and am still in Ketosis, bizarrely. Hopefully a lot of the glycogen has been blasted off.

Ultimately it wasn't a disaster but a choice. I wanted some chocolate and crisps, I had some, enjoyed them and an back on message.

Dinner out tomorrow night, lunch and dinner out Friday. Going to be a testing week.

Will Spangle later lovelies

Thanks to Katie for pulling me through that one xxxx

MissyJo said:
That makes so much sense Katie. There is definitely something impish and rebellious buried in my psyche....sometimes I kind of wonder if my weight gain was a bit of abusive self denial. Not wanting to be attractive maybe? Blimey, we're deep today.

Anyway....the good news is that I didn't go off the rails any more today.

I ran over 4 miles and am still in Ketosis, bizarrely. Hopefully a lot of the glycogen has been blasted off.

Ultimately it wasn't a disaster but a choice. I wanted some chocolate and crisps, I had some, enjoyed them and an back on message.

Dinner out tomorrow night, lunch and dinner out Friday. Going to be a testing week.

Will Spangle later lovelies

Thanks to Katie for pulling me through that one xxxx

Jo my dear you pull yourself through by writing it down straight after you are acknowledging it and de-briefing it sort to speak. Hopefully you burned away the glycogen running and your ketosis will help you over next dew days. Just remember you are in control of what choices you make on these meals out and have a bar handy incase u can't make a controlled choice. I have every faith in you :) xxx

What's eating you???....

Oh Jo, I hope I didnt set you off. Here is the thing that immediately struck me. What's eating you?...

* Are you just plainly pissed off with all the restriction?
*Do you feel that it's unjust that you have to avoid eating this kind of rubbish?
* Were you eating away some feeling or urge?
* Did you say - Hey I deserve a treat - this is my reward!?

Tell me you didnt think self defeating thoughts like you are unable to keep going because..... you can do it, you CAN do it, you are brilliant, great and powerful beyond your imagination.

You are MISSYJO!

Now dont worry, this is a temporary meander, not a deal breaker and remember this weight loss thing, is really a lifestyle management thing, so what happens next, is you get back on the horse before it bolts out the gate, get those feet in the stirrups, hands on the riens and canter baby.

What's eating you???....

Oh Jo, I hope I didnt set you off. Here is the thing that immediately struck me. What's eating you?...

* Are you just plainly pissed off with all the restriction?
*Do you feel that it's unjust that you have to avoid eating this kind of rubbish?
* Were you eating away some feeling or urge?
* Did you say - Hey I deserve a treat - this is my reward!?

Not at all, Nat. I am just impulsive sometimes. I am coming to see how much my gob gets me into trouble on so many planes.

Sometimes I just want a bit of a distraction I think...from stress, boredom. And I rebel. But I kind of let myself do it. And it was ok. And I don't want to do it again today. Strange.

Maybe my life will be punctuated with such bizarre, impulsive episodes....

I have eaten loads of sugar free mints again. But other than that am in control. Lol.

Deep down I just don't think I am good enough. If you want the truth. Is that the same with you guys to an extent??

Jo my dear you pull yourself through by writing it down straight after you are acknowledging it and de-briefing it sort to speak. Hopefully you burned away the glycogen running and your ketosis will help you over next dew days. Just remember you are in control of what choices you make on these meals out and have a bar handy incase u can't make a controlled choice. I have every faith in you :) xxx

The faith you have in me means so much, girls.

Having this forum to banter on is helping me walk so many ghosts and keep on going.

Thank-you :) xxxx

Not at all, Nat. I am just impulsive sometimes.

I've been exactly like this myself, and Linda Spangle has no solution to it! (that I've seen)

Hope you have a great day Jo xx

I've been exactly like this myself, and Linda Spangle has no solution to it! (that I've seen)

No, but Marisa does - and to save you from having to read the books to find it, I can categorically tell you that you are enough - you've always been enough and you always will be enough.

Repeat it with me: I AM ENOUGH!!

Not good enough omg Jo you are an amazing person and deserve more than life itself so you remember that everyday when you get up and wiggle your slim jim booty in the mirror ok. Rog agrees and says so therefore it mist be FACT lol.
Am off to sniff candles now and pretend it's food mmmm xx

Not at all, Nat. I am just impulsive sometimes. I am coming to see how much my gob gets me into trouble on so many planes.

Oh I know this one too well!!! That said, impulsivity is usually not as impulsive as it sounds, there is normally a trigger there somewhere....

Sometimes I just want a bit of a distraction I think...from stress, boredom. And I rebel. But I kind of let myself do it. And it was ok. And I don't want to do it again today. Strange.

This is the same malaise as us all I am sure...sorry kiddo, you are just like the rest of us :)

Maybe my life will be punctuated with such bizarre, impulsive episodes....

Undoubtedly, but its how we deal with the urges and impulses that count! WE NEED HEALTHY DISTRACTIONS - we need to learn to self soothe without carb-o-coma-tising ourselves.

Forget the mints, whatever gets you through the day is ok! (so long as its not going to knock you out of ketoisis - right?)

No I am not even going to quote the bit you said about not being enough.

We all probably have that in common, we are women, we are force fed ideals, we have F'd up family histories or social backgrounds, we are conflicted, we are challenged, we are put upon, people expect things from us, we all feel at times, we are not GOOD enough.

Here is the thing about that, GOOD and BAD as principles and concepts are really rather limiting and negative, they are subjective to the eye of the beholder. If you were an Ibo nigerian woman for instance, your luscuious and bootyliscious self would be DAMN GOOD!!! If you are a Japanese women, then it's really bad and imply's lack of discipline and self controll...

That Yorkie and those mcCoy's can go and live in the communal experience bin, where my caramac now lives - so what, we had a meander, but we came back, we are on it, and if its what you wanted, then it's A O.K.!

Anyway - are you feeling better today? I have raging PMT, I am leathal, I was at a team meeting (with my colleagues not my subordinate team) and I was like a woman posessed with swearitis. Everything was just and outrage I tell you!

My spangle for the day was around the 2 bites, I am off to read it properly now.

Take it easy MissyJo you Lioness.

Nat

Maybe I have to revisit Marisa Lily. I have her confidence book I haven't started yet. I'm terrible with books though, I'm halfway through a Richard Laymon one & partway through a Jack Ketchum on my Ipod. Terrible. If I read more books maybe my head wouldn't be obsessed with food so much.

Hope you are OK today Jo, a lot of us seem to be a bit wobbly lately. Not in that sense, you know what I mean :p I know you will get through it though.

You inspire me, I want to be MissyJo when I grow up :D

Back