JUDDD Chris's Diary

Well I’ve been lurking in these parts for a long time – about three years in fact! It’s a long but perhaps familiar story…

Back in August 2009 I was 18 stone, and determined to do something about it. I started CD as it seemed to promise quick results. And indeed it did – I dropped from 18 stone to 13 stone 6 in just four months, and felt amazing. It wasn’t easy, I became a social recluse but I had a lot of support from colleagues at work. At Christmas I felt amazing, and after a few drinks on New Year’s Eve I agreed to do a 10k run with my best friend. I followed a training plan and did the 10k in 1 hour 5 mins in May 2010 – without doubt one of my greatest achievements ever. My weight had crept back up to 15 stone by that point, but it didn’t seem to matter. I decided to take a week off from running as a treat. Which became two weeks. And then a month. And I haven’t been running again since that day.

Sadly CD did nothing to help me with my long-term eating issues, which are driven by carbs, beer and giant-sized portions, and compounded by a new job which I love, but where I spend 10 hours in front of a computer, followed by an hours’ commute in each direction. I’m now back at my biggest ever size – 18 stone 6 lb.

This time I want to lose the weight for good. Like many other folks here I watched the Horizon programme about JUDDD, and rushed out to buy the book. The book made sense, and overall it seemed too good to be true; a way of continuing to enjoy food, but maintaining my weight in the long term without fundamentally changing what I love to eat.

The bank holiday weekend was a big party with friends from all over the country. The first DD is tomorrow. I’m currently sat next to an anonymous box containing the starter kit from Slim&Save – it looked like the cheapest way to get started, and had lots of interesting flavours. I’m planning to have three S&S meals a day plus a small bowl of lettuce to make up around 500 calories, and to eat three meals normally on the other day without counting calories, but trying to avoid having both lunch and dinner carb-heavy (I’m prone to eating pasta for lunch and then risotto for dinner!)
So what’s the goal? 13 stone seems sensible – it’s the upper end of the normal healthy weight range for my height. I’d like to get there by my birthday next year, which is the end of March. After Christmas, I’m going to do C25k to get me running again (I’ll kill my joints if I start again now!), and then next summer I want to do a 10k in less than an hour. I’m hoping that like Michael Mosley I’ll be able to do it long-term by having, say, two DD per week.

I guess the final thing I haven’t answered is why I decided to start a diary. Well I guess there are a couple of reasons. The first is that I’m determined that if I do loose the weight, I’m not going to put it back on again. I hope that I can reread it if temptation strikes! Secondly, I know there’s not many guys here, but I’m hoping for few supporting cheers from the sidelines from all of you awesome guys and girls!
Right then, off to make a decent dinner!

Chris x

I started Friday after migrating from slim and save
Good luck x

Hi there

I think the Slim and Save products will probably suit you really well for your DDs - I used them at the start and still have a few in the cupboard for DD emergencies. You know exactly where you are calorie wise and also can be pretty sure of some adequate nutrition as well. Have you sampled any yet? Be prepared for the shock of realising that a 'meal' looks like something a 6 month old baby might eat!

I'm a runner and managed to keep running albeit very slowly, even at my heaviest - 16 stone something. I'm already noticing a huge improvement in my running pace and distance - and most importantly, this diet gives me enough fuel to run!

Good luck!

Wow - thanks for the warm welcome guys!

MissHapp - I haven't braved any of the Slim and Save products yet - I was a little surprised to see they look like spaceman food :eek: I think tomorrow I'll start with one of the porridges for breakfast and a shake for lunch - plastic shaker reserved to collect from Argos at lunchtime! I'll save the baby food for the evening :rolleyes:

I am a newby too - good luck and keep posting. I love reading everyone's stories. I have a similar goal of 13 stone to you. I am just not prepared to set myself a skinny minny goal that I find hard to maintain. Anything I lose is bonus. right? x

Well, I made it to the end of DD 1!

Breakfast was a disaster - the bowl of porridge overflowed in the microwave, and so I had to scrape off the glass plate thingy and I guess I lost about a quarter of it. Lunch was much better as I picked up a shaker from Argos and then made banana milkshake - it turned out nice and thick and not at all lumpy, much better than the CD ones I did a few years ago. It didn't stop me from feeling hungry though, and then I suddenly realised I hadn't drunk anything all day - I'm going to have to make really sure I drink lots of water on this diet.

Dinner was Macaroni Cheese and a big plate of home-grown lettuce and tomatoes with some balsamic vinegar on it. The pasta seemed not quite cooked even though the sauce was fine - not sure what I did wrong. Off for an early night now I think as I'm still hungry, but strangely the thought of having a nice day tomorrow and still loosing weight is very motivating, especially as my friend has promised to cook me lamb dansak tomorrow night.

When I did CD the whole hunger thing stopped after a few days and so I'm hoping it'll be the same here - how do you guys find your hunger on the DDs changes?

Yay my last post has been moderated was getting worried that I'd done something wrong and been kicked off here! :cry:

So yesterday was my first UD, but inspired by a few people here I kept a food diary with the funky MFP app. I'm horrified. It came to 3,100 calories yesterday - and the scary thing was that it wasn't the meals, but the random munchies I ate between meals - the Crispy Creme doughnut bought for me by a colleague in the morning, followed birthday cake in the afternoon, and a few drinks in the evening added up to 1,350 calories! I'm going to try and keep up the food diary as I'm definitely learning from it. I'm also going to be more careful on my UD if I can to not go crazy. That said, tomorrow is pay-day drinks after work...:rolleyes:

Today was tough, as I was leading a group of 15 people in a workshop, and I'd stupidly agreed to buy them pizza if they worked over lunch! Strangely though it was really busy, and so I didn't miss it too much. Breakfast was a shake which was much easier than the porridges - think I'll save them for weekend breakfasts in future. Lunch was tomato soup which was great - much tastier than the CD one. Think I need to get a small whisk though, as it was a bit lumpy. For dinner I couldn't face another baby food - MissHapp you've got that image stuck in my brain now! Made a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, tuna and green beans with a good splash of balsamic vinegar, which took me to 540 calories for the day - who'd have thought there was so much calories in vinegar!!! Hopefully the hour of badminton I did will cancel it out and the JUDDD gods will forgive me :break_diet:. I'm pleased though as I was worried I wouldn't have energy for badminton but it was fine.

Overall felt much less hungry today than I did on Tuesday, and I'm not now craving tomorrow - this has to be a good sign

JUDDDChris said:
When I did CD the whole hunger thing stopped after a few days and so I'm hoping it'll be the same here - how do you guys find your hunger on the DDs changes?

Remember that on CD you go into ketosis after s few days which stops the hunger, that won't happen with JUDDDD :-( But DDs do get easier - I promise xx

Yay my last post has been moderated was getting worried that I'd done something wrong and been kicked off here! :cry:

So yesterday was my first UD, but inspired by a few people here I kept a food diary with the funky MFP app. I'm horrified. It came to 3,100 calories yesterday - and the scary thing was that it wasn't the meals, but the random munchies I ate between meals - the Crispy Creme doughnut bought for me by a colleague in the morning, followed birthday cake in the afternoon, and a few drinks in the evening added up to 1,350 calories! I'm going to try and keep up the food diary as I'm definitely learning from it. I'm also going to be more careful on my UD if I can to not go crazy. That said, tomorrow is pay-day drinks after work...:rolleyes:

Today was tough, as I was leading a group of 15 people in a workshop, and I'd stupidly agreed to buy them pizza if they worked over lunch! Strangely though it was really busy, and so I didn't miss it too much. Breakfast was a shake which was much easier than the porridges - think I'll save them for weekend breakfasts in future. Lunch was tomato soup which was great - much tastier than the CD one. Think I need to get a small whisk though, as it was a bit lumpy. For dinner I couldn't face another baby food - MissHapp you've got that image stuck in my brain now! Made a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, tuna and green beans with a good splash of balsamic vinegar, which took me to 540 calories for the day - who'd have thought there was so much calories in vinegar!!! Hopefully the hour of badminton I did will cancel it out and the JUDDD gods will forgive me :break_diet:. I'm pleased though as I was worried I wouldn't have energy for badminton but it was fine.

Overall felt much less hungry today than I did on Tuesday, and I'm not now craving tomorrow - this has to be a good sign

I think it's a great idea to track a few UDs to give you an idea of what 2500-3000 cals looks like but make sure you have the odd day where you don't track at all - I reckon avoiding the diet fatigue is important!

Sorry about the baby food image - I did endure that day in, day out for 8 weeks! How on earth people do months and months on vlcds amazes me - all credit to their willpower! I also know what you mean about the macaroni cheese one - the pasta tastes ever so slightly crunchy doesn't it? I just got used to it!

In terms of hunger, I don't experience too much hunger now on DDs but as the others have said it's not quite as switched off as when you're in ketosis. A lot of people on here have experimented with different eating patterns on their DDs to find what works for them best in terms of hunger management! Some try having small meals as you have been doing and some fast all day, saving calories until the evening. At the moment, I don't eat at all until early evening as I find that helps keep hunger at bay. I have an emergency stash of S&S shakes at work just in case I'm really struggling and then I could have one of those.

Keep going!

Back