JUDDDering all the way

Pollocmc

Hi,

First off I'm a bloke but hope you won't think any less of me :)

I started on this like many after watching the horizon program. It really struck a chord about how I used to eat as a teenager often skipping meals then eating mountains at other times. I was probably about 10st and looked like a stick. Fast forward to just before my fortieth and I was feeling pretty rubbish about myself. So I started doing true alternate days - no matter what day it landed. To cheer me along I went out with my mates for my birthday and had a great time until I was heading home. I was standing outside a chinese waiting for the rest and a young woman shouted over about me and about how I should give the Chinese a miss as I was fat enough!! Even though I was a bit worse for wear it still cut like a knife. Even more so that I wasnt having the Chinese food!!!

Anyhoo it certainly strengthened my resolve.

I've read a few of the books on this way of eating and I'm doing it the hardcore way I suppose, UD eat pretty much what I want, DD is a day of abstinence. Tbh I've not had any problems with doing it that way and I feel a sense of relief not thinking what will I have next and how bad it might be for me. I just get up and know this is an UD or a DD and nothing else really matters.

Heading out now but I'll update more on my progress after two whole weeks. :D

Last edited:
And we certainly won't shout at you for eating Chinese. In fact it's positively encouraged!

Hello and welcome! My other half is doing this with me so would be great to read some posts from a fella's point of view. X good luck

Welcome and enjoy! My hubby is doing 2 DDs at the moment - he is a healthy weight but wants to lose some lbs to run faster! It's great to have a bloke's POV around. :D Oh, and we will all be jealous of you when you lose weight quickly like blokes do ;-)

UD for me today but trying not to go mad as This is my weekend with the kids and got loads of food in the fridge. Managed to go to the cinema and not eat all my daughters popcorn! Doing well but not going to get too excited about losses as I reckon quite a lot is water at the start. I had promised myself I wouldn't weigh myself and just go by body changes. However I changed my mind last week just so that I'd have a start weight to compare against to prove to myself it is working. I had a figure in my head of the heaviest I could possibly be. Turns out I'm a stone heavier :eek:

I think my biggest problem is probably fitness. I won't go swimming as paranoid at exposing myself. Ive joined a gym and one of my mates has promised to join with me once he's back his holidays so hopefully we can motivate each other.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their Saturday whether it's a DD or UD

Hi glad you are still with us and remember you are not on a diet on an UP day they are meant to be enjoyed and I would imagine as a man and your height your UP day allowance is quite generous? It has also been proven that the weight you lose on an alternate day diet is fat not water or muscle, I posted an interesting article about it, its on here somewhere I will post a link if you want me too just let me know. So you get as carried away as you like xx

I agree that I'm allowed to not calorie count but everything I read including doc johnsons book was about eating healthy too. My calorie allowance is 2700. I've eaten what I've wanted and when today and will struggle to get near that. I've no hankering for anything (I don't see the logic in forcing myself to eat more to reach a calorie target any more than denying myself something). Soft drinks is my vice, it's got me to where I am now. I've bought diet drinks (even though I prefer full fat versions!) I dont think it's too big a sacrifice. I'm quite a focused person when I put my mind to it.

Totally agree about healthy eating in the main but not all healthy foods are low cal foods , obviously don't stuff yourself but you should aim for your allowance x

Bajoleth, what is your diary page called I really could do with seeing your food diaries I'm struggling abit and seen as you really know what your doing I figured you are the best person to ask! I'm really struggling to eat my allowance on my up days which is 425 for DD and UP 1547 but recently I've been lucky if I have hit 1000 :(

Hi my Diary is called Jo's Juddd Diary, I am not brill at healthy eating though I do try at the monment my Diary is full of pics of cakes I baked this week lol. But I have to say if your weight stats are still correct your UP day numbers seem very low, I am 12 1 at the mo and 5 2 and my cals were approx 450 2100, but I do 500/2000, well I try to keep to about 2000 but usually end up over especially on weekends. If you are struggling to eat your allowance I would suggest think healthy but don't think low cal, think of your meals in terms of 500 cals breakfast dinner then an evening meal of 700, still leave room for milk allowance (for teas coffees) and snacks.
I generally have special k with berries and wholemeal toast with butter for breakfast, glass of orange juice about 500 cals, lunch bowl of fresh soup with wholemeal roll and a muller and piece of fruit 500 cals, supper Jacket with sweet and sour chicken or new pots and fish and veg etc so its not so difficult really, there is no bad food there but its not a low cal day either x Hope that helps a bit

HO Bajoleth I thought my stats were wrong too, I put my height and weight into the calculator on the website and it said normal days 1535 and dd 435 that's in the 30% I think or 35 can't remember which! I think my problem is that I'm still in ketosis and I've read many of your threads that say its the famine and fast that is the principles of this diet, I do eat healthy on my up days and stick to slim and save or low cal protein on dd but I find I seem to be eating vertically no carbs on up days so that could be my problem, think I'm just frightened of putting on all that water with recently being on a vlcd! Do you think it's worth me buying the actual book to refer to?
Thanks Hun for all your help by the way

I put your stats as listed in the calculator and got 1848/554 for 30% and guessed an age of 35. So I guess 1900/500 would be good round numbers. Unless I've messed up.

500/2000 is a good one size fits all guide (for women that is ) Its not water you have to be concerned about hun its the glycogen stored in the liver that gets depleted when you are in ketosis, when you come out of ketosis the glycogen store get replaced and can weigh an incredible 7lbs, thats why on a vlcd which it ketogenic everyone has such great losses the first week. I came over from a vlcd and still lost 2lbs on my first week of Juddd so a loss can be achieved, if you do gain at least you know its not fat or water so therefore not weight you can see , its just a bodily fluid beibg restored like an extra pint of blood lol, it is harder to eat more cals when low carbing but meats fairly high, lots of chicken fish etc through the day. There is a forum called the low carb forum don't know whether you have heard of it , its American, they have a juddd section and the majority there are doing juddd alongside low carb so maybe a nosy on there might help you x

ohhh them stats are different to mine, ive put in age 30, female, weight 170lbs, height 5.4inches, littel to no exercise, 30% and it comes up with 1535 for normal day and 461 for dd! im totally happy to do 500/ 2000 i think thats what most do! Bajoleth do you have a typical food diary on your diary for both an up day and a down day just so i can get an idea of what you eat, ive ordered the book off amazon i figured it will help me! i will never ever go back to a vlcd i love this way and its realistic to stick too, plus im hoping to keep this up long term, vlcd's are great with great losses but like me and majority of others the weight always creeps back on and off i go again on another vlcd well not anymore im here for good! i will play around with what works for me as we are all different and it does seem like trial and error, im going to have a look now at the low carb thing! i may carry on doing this till weds wi and see what my results are then take it from there, whether to slowly introduce carbs almost like a refeed kindof :) thank you for all your help honestly i really do appreciate it! i sooooo want this to work and it will i just have to play around with it and experiment plus get ideas off everyone else! x

I rarely log my UP day food on here but a general day would be about 2000-2300 cals , always wholemeal toast thick sliced with butter for breakfast and some sp[ecial K about 500 cals, lunch would be pittas filled with chicken breast and salad and salad cream and probably a kit kat approx 600 cals, supper is usually new pots with butter and veg and spicy chicken breast, jacket pot with chilli, curry and rice that sort of thing usually around 700 cals, plus my skimmed milk for tea coffee 150 cals plus the odd biscuit, piece of fruit and maybe a pudding some days. My DD s are really boring, you should check out Monicas Diary she gets fab food for her cals (Juddd do it Mon is her diary title x) I always keep 150 cals for my milk as I find tea and coffee a lifesaver on a DD , so then I usually have 2 150 cal 'meals@ a batchelors Pasta pot (166 cals) or crispbreads and low fat philli, or Baxters minestrone soup 140 cals but really filling. That sort of thing x

From past experiences with slimmingworld and weight watchers if i ate too many carbs mainly pasta and bread i would gain and my stomach would swell up so for a while now ive been low carbing before restarting s&s again before finding JUDDD! after reading this i have decided to up my calories with protein and fat rather than carbs, so basically 500 on dd's will be vertually carb free, ive been having an atkins bar then low carb/cals snacks! on my ud's ive certainly not been eating enough, so ive pinched some meal and how to up calories with avoiding carbs off the atkins site! since i started on weds ive been alternating the days so today should be a dd but i feel i should try a ud having said that i need to have aa dd on tuesday so i can weigh weds so i'll stick to a dd day today :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah ive looked at Monicas diaries before she makes some lush stuff there was pancakes on there the other day they looked lovely, i was practically drooling haha! i have just realsied that i havent been including my milk allowance into my daily intake so that will up things abit i havent been having 500cals on my down days usually around 400 or less so thats good at least i now know i will ahve been having around that amount but still need to up my up days so here goes! im off to asda to buy shed loads of oily fish, meat, cheese, butter, peanut butter (yum), celery sticks and other low carb veggies :)

Wee update.

Ive still been doing alternate day fasting. 3 1/2 weeks now. I've lost 10 1/2 lbs so far. :D

I guess it's typical of these things that in the cold light of day it's going really well but it feels never quite fast enough.

Im trying to keep in mind something I got told about dieting a while back (who knows where from). Imagine you are an onion and when you lose some weight it's a layer of onion peeled off. When it's a big onion one layer looks like nothing you're still a big onion. But as each subsequent layer comes off it gets progressively more noticeable. It works for me anyway!!

I think at the moment I've peeled the outer brown skin off :p

Back