Just been diagnosed with Gallstones due to Rapid Weight Lose

Erinyes

Hey Girlies
I thought I would let you all know that after months and months of severe stomach cramps, vomiting etc I was diagnosed with Gallstones.
The Doctor thinks that the weight lose of 4stone in 6 months is the likely cause. I explained that I only eat a low fat, extremely healthy diet thanks to Slimming world but apparently that is not a concern and the fact that I lost so much so quickly seems to be the cause.

Thought I would share incase anyone else has similar symptoms.

Waiting now to find out when I can have my gallbladder removed. :sigh:

Sorry to hear that. My niece has just been diagnosed with the same. She also lost weight rapidly, 5 stone in 6 months!

She looks great, but her poor body has suffered as she basically lived on 800 cals a day (slimfast.)

ruby

If it's any consolation my cousin had gallstones and had her gall bladder removed last week. She's never been overweight in her life let alone had a weight loss so it can happen to anyone :) x

I think the only thing I would do different is try to slow the weight lose down to 1-1.5 lbs a week, but my average was 2.5-4lbs a week so I think if it hadn't been so quick it may not have happened.

It's strange as you eat so healthy on slimmiing world you don't suppose the troubles are realted to the weight lose.
I thought it might help though anyone else who has similar symptons as for a long time I was misdiaginosed with Gastritis and Lactose intollerance.

Gall stones have many, many causes and yes, strange though it seems rapid weight loss is one of them. However it is rare.

How many times have we seen it happen here.? I have been a member for 6 or 7 months and this is the first time I have seen it mentioned.

Will you have key hole surgery or the conventional kind of operation.? With key hole surgery the recovery rate is impressive.

A few causes.............

Weight. A large clinical study showed that being even moderately overweight increases the risk for developing gallstones. The most likely reason is that the amount of bile salts in bile is reduced, resulting in more cholesterol. Increased cholesterol reduces gallbladder emptying. Obesity is a major risk factor for gallstones, especially in women.
Diet. Diets high in fat and cholesterol and low in fiber increase the risk of gallstones due to increased cholesterol in the bile and reduced gallbladder emptying.
Rapid weight loss. As the body metabolizes fat during prolonged fasting and rapid weight loss—such as “crash diets”—the liver secretes extra cholesterol into bile, which can cause gallstones. In addition, the gallbladder does not empty properly

Looks like we can not win......we get them if we are overweight and we get them if we diet !!!

Hey Girlies
I thought I would let you all know that after months and months of severe stomach cramps, vomiting etc I was diagnosed with Gallstones.
The Doctor thinks that the weight lose of 4stone in 6 months is the likely cause. I explained that I only eat a low fat, extremely healthy diet thanks to Slimming world but apparently that is not a concern and the fact that I lost so much so quickly seems to be the cause.

Thought I would share incase anyone else has similar symptoms.

Waiting now to find out when I can have my gallbladder removed. :sigh:

I have had gastric problems for 3 weeks now. The first 2 weeks were severe but this last week its been on and off. No vomitting, just diarhea, cramps and feeling completely knackered. I have pondered if it could be something more serious - my doc has given me a sample bottle to take to the hospital but I have not done it yet as timing has not been right (have to go to work as dont get sick pay). I've lost 4 stone since the end of March so I dont think that was particularly fast - although the first 3 stone went in 4 months. However, I have been wondering if the weight loss has anything to do with it as I've never had this sort of problem before and I am now eating healthier than ever. It doesn't make sense.

PS. *TMI alert here* but was your poo yellow?

I've not really had much problems with my poo being yellow but it was a lot lighter than it should be.

Defiinitely get it checked out at the hospital sounds alot like IBS though.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Back