just found this on another site (long thread!!)

Dont nutritionist make a living from telling people what to eat? So, obviously they wont like VLCDs cos it takes 'food' out of the equation....they would much rather have you paying thru the nose to go see them for years so they can tell you wat to do.....just my opinion...

I stopped looking on the internet after a while cos apart from minimims most things written about VLCDs make me really scared I'm harming myself. A girl at work the other day said to me 'oh that Cambridge Diet wrecks your insides' as well!! Having said that, we are constantly reminded that being overweight is not good for you either so I figured a few months doing this can't be that bad. TBH though, it does really worry me and at the moment I am looking forward to moving up from 1000 on Friday and feeling more 'normal'.

The moment I started maintenance my metabolism went into high speed my weight loss actually accelerated at first and I had to adjust the maintenance plans to add more calories to stabilse. Ended up nearly a stone under target.
I have always excercised and worked long hours before during and since CD. I might just be lucky but I was able to Swim 1300 yards at pace with no problems anytime during the diet and as I lost the weight I got quicker.
Another thing just because someone has letters after their name does not mean they are right.
Some of us don't choose to use ours. Its a load O ole Bolloxs

J R Delf MRIPH
(Member of The Royal Institute of Public Health)

I am still bloody Angry any one fancy giving my tense hard muscular(not depleted) shoulders a good Rub I need relaxing.
Hey J!

When I read it I actually thought she may have apoint about the slowing of the metabolism....i believed that after all ss'ing our bods are in starvation mode and therefore cling onto any solids.....please put me straight...the fact that you say your M is faster than ever is fabby....what did you do or did it just happen!
:eek:
RN...RIGHT NUTTER OR REAL NIGHTMARE!

OK I've avoided this thread so far cos it made me cross - just like all the other times that people have dragged out spurious arguments against vlcds.

The facts are these - as I understand them-

* vlcds were designed and extensively researched by doctors over 30 years ago. They have been constantly refined and improved since then in impartial medical trials.

* they are not dangerous to your health (provided you have no underlying, contra-indcated medical condition) as if they were they would not be legal! They would be banned by the government, instead of receiving approving reports that state that they are safe. The government is apparently looking into funding their own NHS version at some point, to counteract the huge explosion in obesity.

* so long as you follow the company's guidelines, you will not do any damage to your body ie you have regular medical checks on LL and have AAM on CD for eg. You must have all of your packs every day, avoid alcohol and drink plenty of water to avoid constipation etc.

* You cannot damage your metabollic rate - it merely lowers as your weight reduces. A ten stone, naturally thin person uses up the same cals as a ten stone, previously fat person.

* vlcds are not designed to be used for years on end - it is a short term solution to those of us who have food addictions. And it works! So long as you don't go back to your old eating habits, you can keep the weight off (and to be honest - I've had phases when I've eaten for England and put a few lbs back on - but nowhere near as bad as I used to be - and that's got to be a good thing!!)

There's loads more points to make but you get the gist! lol

sorry guys for getting you in bad moods, felt sorry for the poorgirl on site who was getting a hard time, we know cambridge diet or LL works for us and its far healthier then yo yo dieting all the time.

Ninaxx:)

sorry guys for getting you in bad moods, felt sorry for the poorgirl on site who was getting a hard time, we know cambridge diet or LL works for us and its far healthier then yo yo dieting all the time.

LOL No probs, Nina - it happens all the time!

Perhaps you should tell the poor girl to come over here where she'll get some support! :) :)

It nothing new hun;) ....a big part of the reason I havent told anyone I am actually doing CD is because I have no intentions of having to defend it to people who read the scaremongering but not the actual facts and success stories!

Like everyone else, I didn't embark on a VLCD lightly (no pun intended). I researched it and decided that the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. How bad is it to be 6 stone overweight?? A lot worse for your health long term than perhaps a year on a VLCD.

All I can say is it works for me. My migraines have disappeared - after the first week when I had a 4 day migraine I adjusted the diet and now split my packs. From suffering almost weekly with migraines I've not had one in 6 weeks. No indigestion, no sleeping problems, my face redness has cleared up (almost! - much improved anyway) and I just feel more energetic. Does that happen if you're 'damaging' your insides??

No-one has the complete answer. My GP could only offer me a diet sheet and/or medication. No good to me - I knew how to eat properly I just couldn't stick to it. Until its more recognised that eating problems are as much psychological as physical then we'll have to find our own solutions.

All I know is I felt a complete dieting failure until I found one that worked for me - Cambridge. Bu**er what anyone else says, I'm not giving this up! I seriously considered surgery before I found VCLD's. Not any more:D

I think the damage that obesity cause, physically and mentally, is far worse than any diet can cause a person. I was sooo miserable and unhappy, I had a huge inferiority-complex because of my weight and physically weak when I was obese, I feel like I regained mylife back, and I dont believe that VLCD is bad for you. The damages this person is talking about could be valid for all forms of dieting, not only VLCD, but the benefits far exceed the damages.

I went for a colonic irrigation after 7 months on SS, supplementing with psylliums husks.
The therapist found it hard to believe I hadn't "eaten" for that length of time, she said my bowel was "entirely healthy, with good function"
Ann

I really dont see the problem of losing muscle. My calves are HUGE from having to carry around all this weight. It makes complete sense to me that if I lose weight and my body is not under so much strain I will lose some muscle-but surely that is a good thing. It seems natural that a smaller body will need less muscle to move it. Am I being too simplistic?

Superb Attitude Go for it. I love hearing these positive peolple, with comments like that you can inspire all the people who are struggling.
Well done and keep Pos

All I know is I felt a complete dieting failure until I found one that worked for me - Cambridge. Bu**er what anyone else says, I'm not giving this up! I seriously considered surgery before I found VCLD's. Not any more:D

if these type of diets was so bad for you the doctors wouldn't have recommended it ( the lipotrim diet), they have all the goodness your body needs but without the crap!!. ok,so people who go on lent and all the kinda stuff, they go without eating too, they are fine and healthy, as long as your body is getting all the goodness it needs you can live and thats the main thing!!. being overweight can cause alot of serious health issues, for a good example, i had an ectopic pregnancy, i had to have baby and tube removed...i crashed,not once but 3 times because my heart couldn't take it, why???,because i'm overweight. sod the letters after the name!!... i'll put mine lipotrimhereicome.s.i.u.y.a does that mean anything??? no!!, they are letters!!.... girls, keep up the good work, your all doing brilliantly, don't let it get to you and KEEP IT UP...XX

Cant be arsed with stuff like this - if these diets were so dangerous blah blah blah they would be banned.

Hasnt put me off at all.

Good Lord, a six-year-old thread (as in, the original was posted in 2006). Gotta hand it to you, Dolli, great find. :)

Interesting to see how nutritional thinking has moved on during the last few years!

And yet some doctors still think it's a bad diet, whereas others agree it's great-we can't win .Luckily mine is very supportive and has no problem with me doing a vlcd :D My mum on the other hand has always been against it but after my latest blood pressure reading has given up :D

Back