just read this, worth reading x

time2go

Gold Member
I remember seeing on TV a while back a programe explaining this... Imagine a disposable ice cube bag with its little pockets.. this is what our fat looks like inside and when we lose the fat it sometimes fills it with liquid instead because it's unsure if the fats are gone for good or coming back (hence why we stay on the same number) after a little while it's like our body decides the fat is gone for good and releases the liquid, then you will notice a drop in weight again :)

Thank you for that makes sense x

That's part of the whoosh effect we talk about. It's that one day of heavy urination after a stall or no weight loss followed by a permanent and sometimes quite dramatic scale drop, so it's not dehydration.

One of the theories is that since fat cells also hold three parts water, when the fat cells have been emptied of stored triglyceride, they will temporarily refill with water (glycerol attracts water, which might be part of the mechanism, that and glycogen is stored in water). So there would be no immediate change in size, body weight or appearance. Then, after some time the water will be expelled and the fat cells will shrink. Something stimulates them to let it go all at one time, hence the heavy urination and sudden scale drop. The retention of water is greater during pregnancy and TOM, so that explains that phenomenon.

I can't explain easily the trigger cos I have never found a study into it... If I ever go back for the PhD I may look into it. Someone has to!

Back