Just Recipes!

Ok - DH has been experimenting. Note these are NOT induction friendly:D

Low carb tart tatin (makes 3-4 servings)

Pastry:
Carbalose flour 100g
Butter 80g
1 egg yolk

Topping:
1 eating apple
Squeeze of lemon juice
Joseph low carb maple syrup

Make the pastry - mix flour and butter to breadcrumb consistency, add egg yolk and knead until ready. Put in fridge for 1-2 hours
Slice apple and cover with lemon juice

Heat oven to 250
Put layer of sliced apple in bottom of pan (we used 3 silicone mini loaf tins so wouldnt stick!)
Bake for 10 mins
While baking grate the pastry into little bits
Turn oven down to 190
Put one tablespoon lc maple syrup over the apples in each dish
Then add grated pastry to about 0.5 inch thick (we used about 3/4 pastry for 3 tarts)
Bake for 10-20 mins until pastry golden brown

Turn out each tarte onto dish and serve with cream
Approx 7g net carbs and 250 cals for each one (actually you could probably share one...we didnt;) )

Yummy:D

Attachments

• image-4215253639.jpg
    image-4215253639.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 134
This is tragic, I just made and ate a peach tart tatin last week!! To think i could have eaten this instead! Does anyone know if carbalose flour contains wheat or gluten, i'm intolerant (not that it would stop me)

Bug X

Got an email from LCM the other day and carbquik is back in stock. I remember making some yummy scones with them. I'm wheat intolerant too, but think I'll get some for emergency sweet fix.

Thanks Katie:)

I would recommend the carbalose flour over carbquik which is the baking mix. You can make anything with the flour but the baking mix already has extra salt (yuk) and fat - found it ruined my pizza bases!

I made this twice last week - yummy!!!

29March2011018.jpg

29March2011016.jpg

Crispy Coconut Chicken

1 C. dessicated coconut
1 Tablespoon Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch strips
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 C. butter or margarine, melted

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix coconut, salt, pepper, splenda (if desired) and garlic powder in medium bowl. Dip chicken strips into egg, then coat with coconut mixture.

Deep fry in hot oil until golden and crispy. Or, place in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake 25 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through, turning once.

Makes about 2 dozen.

I drizzled a bit of soy sauce on mine, but you could have them with a mayo dip as well. They are so yummy! I noticed how dessicated coconut had a pretty low carb count (I think it was 3g / 100g) and it comes up all crispy and crunchy.

(I'm allergic to almonds, so nut flours haven't been an option for me... but this I LOVE!)

* the white stuff in the pictures is Splenda, as I forgot to put it in the recipe when I was making it. The little bit of sweetness really works well with the coconut.

Any suggestions of what you could serve up with these that's still low carb?

I would recommend veggies - spinach, broccoll, caulifloweri etc. if you want something more potato like you can try celeriac mash or celeriac chips - yummy:)

Spinach and prawn curry with cauli rice, yum yum :)

Attachments

• image-95409530.jpg
    image-95409530.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 130
Quick fix low carb cookies!

Just blatantly stole this from a low carb recipe site -

3 tblsp ground flax
2 tblsp Da Vinci sugar free syrup
1 tsp cocoa

Mix together, then flatten out into a cookie shape on a saucer and zap in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Flip over with a slice thingie and zap again for the same time.

Leave for a minute and it will go a bit hard/crispy - experiment with the times to get it the way you like.

I used the orange Da Vinci but omg what about peanut butter?!! :)

And here's a great idea for taco shells - also stolen from a blog on Mark's Daily Apple :)

"I take parmesan cheese, shred it finely in a food processor and make a few small piles of it on a buttered cookie sheet.. broil it for 3 or 4 minutes until it’s brown on top and pull them out. Take them off the pan promptly and drape over a bowl. As they cool, they harden.. becoming cheese taco shells =) =) =) crunchy on the outside and gooey and warm inside. Nommm"

And here's a great idea for taco shells - also stolen from a blog on Mark's Daily Apple :)

"I take parmesan cheese, shred it finely in a food processor and make a few small piles of it on a buttered cookie sheet.. broil it for 3 or 4 minutes until it’s brown on top and pull them out. Take them off the pan promptly and drape over a bowl. As they cool, they harden.. becoming cheese taco shells =) =) =) crunchy on the outside and gooey and warm inside. Nommm"

This is an amazing idea! I'm totally trying this next time I make Mexican for DH!

Ok, SCOTCH EGGS!!!!!

You need
Boiled eggs
2 Debbie and Andrew garden herb sausages (0:3 carbs each sausage) per egg

Method
Hard boil eggs and cool down then peel
Take 2 sausages out of the skins
Put water on your hands and press sausage meat out, then around the egg
Place eggs on a greased dish
Bake in oven for approx 30/40 mins on 180

Can be eaten hot or delicious cold with salad and mayo!!!!

Scotch egg 0:6 carbs eat!! :)

Mmmmmmmm!!!! They sound good!! I think if you then rolled them in flax with salt n pepper it may give it that breadcrumby texture also, just a thought?

J x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Let me know how that crumb coating works please :)
Defo fantastic as they are but always looking for alternatives!!!!
Thought maybe a babybel instead of the egg for a cheesey snack.... Packup lunch with salad and mayo perhaps :)

Omg! I just made these cinnamon pork rinds and they were sooo good! I get a bit bored with pork scratchings / crunch, but I used to have a bad addiction to crisps and this is the next best thing.

These made a nice change from the normal pork rinds and made for a nice, sweetish treat.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cinnamon_crispy_porkrinds.html

Ps. These aren't made with pork scratchings, they're the puffier, airier "pork crunch" type.

Back