Just Recipes!

Sounds lovely, I'm always looking for new ways to cook steak. I don't have any kitchen twine though - do you think a couple of cocktail sticks would hold them shut?

I'm loving ASPARAGUS SEASON but all I ever do with it is steam it and butter it. Which is lovely, but I feel like I should make more of an effort with such an expensive veg. Here's a couple of idead I found on the Guardian food site, I might try the second one this weekend...

Warm asparagus with melted cheese
Serves 2.
12 spears of asparagus, thick and juicy
150g soft, ripe cheese (they suggest Brie, Camembert or gorgonzola)
Cook the asparagus in boiling, lightly salted water till it is tender enough to bend. Lift the spears out with a draining spoon and lower them into a shallow baking dish.
Remove the crust and slice the cheese thinly, then lay it over the asparagus. Place under a hot grill till the cheese melts. Eat immediately.

Baked asparagus with pancetta
Serves 2
Boil a bundle of asparagus until it is just tender. Drain it carefully, then lay the spears in a shallow baking dish. Heat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
Melt a generous slice of butter in a shallow pan and fry a handful of diced pancetta, or mildly smoked bacon, until its fat is golden. Tip it and the butter over the asparagus then sprinkle with a little grated Parmesan and bake for 10 minutes till the cheese has melted.

do you think a couple of cocktail sticks would hold them shut?

I don't see why not, Give it a try.

Sounds great to me. Yum Yum

I'm going to try the flaxseed bread at the weekend! I've bought a bag of linseeds from Holland & Barrett (on offer at half price this week) - that's the same as flaxseed, right? And I just grind them up in my processor's mill attachment? :confused:

There was some discussion about the colour a while back, can't remember where though, but it's important I think.

I'll go and see if I can find it.

LOL, oh well, better luck next time. :)

Last night I took a stab at this low carb southern fried chicken recipe with a few alterations. Once I saw the amount of soy flour I was using, I immediately upped the seasonings to tablespoons instead of teaspoons. And I don't have a deep fat fryer, and am not very confident with pan deep frying, so I just sprayed the coated drumsticks with oil and oven baked them. They came out like this:
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 005ikp.jpg

It was nice but I think it did need a bit of frying first before being finished off in the oven, to crisp it up a bit. And I would like to play around with the seasonings, instead of the chicken seasoning I'd like to add my own amounts of cayenne pepper, paprika and maybe ground up dried sage.

I might try it again but with chicken goujons, I would be more confident with deep frying those.

I appear to still be in ketosis this morning, despite disgracing myself and eating four drumsticks last night... and then another one for good measure! :eek:

LM...... How good do they look!!! MMMmmmm
They are so on my list to try.

Woofy X

The breading crisped up a bit more on reheating.

Low carb 'fried' chicken, celeriac chips, garlic mushrooms (if I can get image to work):
002.jpg

It was tasty but needed more seasoning. Here's the recipe I'm going with next time I try this.
2 cups soya flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp garlic pepper or black pepper
1 tbsp onion granules
1 tbsp ground dried sage
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder

And I'm deffo going to fry it before baking.

Man, I miss my KFC. Can you tell? ;)

I also want to try the breading as a coating for button mushrooms & cook them in garlic butter. Mmmmmm!

Claire's slightly altered and Carb counted -

Makhni Chicken Curry Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Recipe

Makhni (Buttery) skinless bone-less chicken breast is made with butter, cream and yogurt Compare this with Traditional Makhni Chicken . We will not marinate the chicken in this recipe.

Ingredients

1. Cooking oil: ¼ Cup (0.0 carbs)
2. Skinless boneless chicken breasts: 4 (0.0 carbs)
The chicken should be cut into bite size pieces.
3. Finely chopped Onion almost pureed: 100g (7.0 carbs)
4. Salt: ½ teaspoon (0.0 carbs)
5. Ground Cayenne: ¼ teaspoon (0.4 carbs)
3. Minced Garlic: 1 Tablespoon (3.2 carbs)
4. Ginger Chopped: 1 Teaspoon (0.4 carbs)
5. Curry Powder: 2 Teaspoons (2.0 carbs)
6. Full fat natural Yogurt: 75g (4.9 carbs)
7. Tinned Chopped tomatoes: 200g (5.8 carbs)
8. Butter (unsalted): 2 Tablespoons (0.0 carbs)
9. Water: ¼ Cup (0.0 carbs)
9. Garam Masala: 1 teaspoon (2.0 carbs)
10. Double cream: 300ml (4.8 carbs)

Total carbs for whole recipe = 30.5g carbs

Therefore to serve to four people = 7.6g per person

Method

1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Fry chicken pieces till opaque white to light brown. Remove with slotted spoon and put in the crock pot.
3. Add Onions, salt and cayenne to hot oil in the pan. Sauté till onions are translucent and the edges start to turn brown.
4. Add garlic and ginger. Sauté another 2 minutes.
5. Add curry powder, sauté 30 second.
6. Add Yogurt, sauté till almost all the moisture from the yogurt is consumed.
7. Add Tomatoes and butter. Heat till almost bubbly. Transfer to crock pot.
8. Rinse out the pan with water and add water to the crock pot. At this point we are done with the pan.
9. Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Cover the crock pot set at high. Cook for 40 minutes.
10. Turn down cooker to low, cook for additional 5 to six hours. You may cook at high and save about two hours.

Lamb Pasanda recipe for those that like creamy curries

Lamb Pasanda Ingredients
1 1/2 oz Ghee or unsalted butter
6 oz onions peeled and chopped
1lb lean lamb cubed
2 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger grated
150ml natural yoghurt
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 large pinch cayenne
200ml water
150 ml single cream
1oz ground almonds
½ tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
Toasted blanched almonds

Instructions for Lamb Pasanda
Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the onions until just beginning to brown. Add the lamb and cook until browned. Add the garlic, ginger, yoghurt, Turmeric, Coriander, Cumin, Nutmeg, Cayenne Pepper and water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat is tender. Stir in the cream, almonds, salt and Garam Masala. Heat through gently and serve garnished with the toasted almonds.
:D

Tried this recipe yesterday with with chicken instead of lamb. My wife made a homemade Gobi Sag (Cauliflower and spinach) which complimented it beautifully. We had this with a side salad. this was the nicest meal I have had since starting Atkins. Thanks very much Sara P,

Hi captslog, welcome to the Atkins threads. :)

Seems like a lot of ingredients, does anyone know how many it serves please?

Just me Jar. LOL ;)

I know what you mean Jim! lol!

howdy. well i've been asked to add two of my faves on here. carb counts aren't included i'm afraid as it varies.

the first is a successful idea rather than a recipe. i make tacos, but use a large lettuce leaf and fold up my taco insides in a parcel and eat it that way. i have very little salsa and i make up the mince using a taco pack but i use less of the spices. the carb count usually ends up at about 5g for the meal :)

the second is low-carb cottage pie. again. no recipe as such as i do it differently every time. but last night's involved mince, a level tblspn of tomato puree, chopped peppers and mushrooms. cook it all up. whack it in a baking dish. put the desired amount of cauli mash made with butter on top, cheese on top of that and then put in the oven until the cheese browns.

YUMMY!!

abz xx

Sounds yummy abz.

Back