Just Recipes!

Thanks Leanne I'm going to give both of these recipes a go later this week!

There are still lots of elderflowers around so have fun picking them. Try not to get too much green in if you can. I put all my flowers in a stocking to make it easier when I take them out of the brew. The mixture will stink to high heaven whilst it is fermenting and maturing so don't worry about the smell when you go to stir it. Once it has matured the smell goes away and you have a beautiful, clear, lovely tasting wine.

or maybe not if you ferment out all the sugar and it's a dry wine Leanne, either way once it's ready to drink, give me a call and I'll come and help ;)

Hi guys/gals,

I'm on LT at the moment but I'm going to move over to Atkins next week and I'm just making some meal plans.
I have a question about the oopsie rolls. What is cream of tartar and where can you buy it?
Thanks

I have no idea what cream of tartar is but you can get it in all supermarkets. It's with the baking ingredients.

Elderberry Wine.

lbs / 1,350 grams fresh elderberries
3 lbs / 1,350 grams sugar
8 pints / 1 gallon water
1 teaspoon citric acid
Wine yeast

Winemaking Method: Elderberry Wine Recipe - Wine Making Guides
Strip and crush the berries and place them in a bucket. Add 1/2 of the boiling water and allow to cool. Dissolve the sugar in the remaining boiling water and strain the berries through a sieve on to the sugar and add the citric acid and the yeast. Pour the liquid into a demijohn and seal with an airlock.

Store the wine in a warm place and allow the fermentation to work itself out. When fermentation has ceased, rack the wine into a clean jar and place in a cooler environment and leave for a further few months. Rack again and leave until the wine is stable. Leave for a further six months and bottle.

Hi all, browsing through the Harcombe site and found this recipe - I'm sure they won't mind me sharing it here! Commentary and pics came from a nice member there. Also posted on the sausages thread.

Home Made Sausages

I made my own sausages this evening using Carluccio's idea of poaching before frying. It worked really well. I used
- 250g each of beef and pork mince
- half an onion, chopped
- 1 huge clove of garlic, skinned and sliced
- parsley & sage leaves

I processed all of the ingredients until it formed a lump.

I then divided it into 8 and rolled these out into sausage shapes.

Wrapped them in foil and twisted them closed like boiled sweets.

Poached in a large pan of boiling water for about 4 minutes (Carluccio says that they should rise to the surface after a couple of minutes but mine didn't sink!)

Take them out of the water and allow to cool enough to unwrap.

Then heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the sausages and brush them with more oil. Turn often until browned on all sides.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Good gracious those sausages look nice! Will have to give that a go one day :D xx

LOL gonna try them on the weekend, will report back on the whole cooking saga that is otherwise known as my kitchen :)

I have a question about the packets of pork scratchings?
So I live in Ireland & can't find them here but bought them online have to say they were vile the smell alone nearly made me hurl. I had a few & felt sick felt like I had eaten a fee spoons of lard.
They are the black packet though.

Are the ones in the White packet different?

Back