Just starting my 2nd week

mandie35

Hi all

I have just completed my first week on EE. I got weighed on tuesday and lost 3lb. If im honest i was a little disappointed because my scales at home were showing more but i guess 3 is better than none.

I have also given up the cigarettes and am on day 11 so battling with two things. The last couple of days i have felt so tired and hungry. I have started walking 4.5 miles 3 times a week in the hope that it will help with the diet and my overall fitness.

I hope i can stick with it because i am desperate this year to lose the weight that has haunted since i had my daughter 12 years ago :mad:

i am hoping that finding this forum and seeing all the different food diaries will help me this time.

would be nice to be able to speak to people on a daily basis that are struggling and spur each other on.

Mandie

Hi Mandie - I'm the same , just starting the second week :)

I also intend to start fitting in some walking as I am certain that it helps - specially if you are doing 4 and a half miles - thats a fair old trek!

You are doing brilliantly considering you have stopped smoking too - well done! I am going to put a facebook link on my profile (need to suss out how first) but feel free to add me and we can encourage each other on x

Whoohoo! 3lbs is great!
I was dissapointed with only -2 off after Christmas - but remember, a dripping tap still fills a bucket!
You're doing great hun, and well done giving up smoking, good for you! x

Hi Mandie,

Well firstly, well done on taking on 2 big challenges at once!! It can't be easy giving up ciggies AND embarking on a weight loss programme (including quite a bit of exercise) both at the same time, so cut yourself some slack!! Don't put too much pressure on yourself or you'll burn yourself out!

Secondly 3lb is an excellent first loss!! People strive to get massive losses, especially on their first week, but it's not about how much you can lose each week, it's about how long you stick to it and changing your attitude/relationship with food in the long term! I lost 1.5lb in my first week, 1lb in my second week, 2lb in my third week. And I stuck to it religiously! At the time I was disappointed but now 14 months later I'm looking back and proud of my current total loss (although it was 4lb more than that pre-Chrimbo binge!), it averages less than 1lb per week, but the pride comes from knowing that I've changed my ways, enjoyed my food and new lifestyle thoroughly and I see it as a work in progress for life! I have had loads of terrible weeks where I've doubted my ability to do it and eaten all the rubbish under the sun and wondered if I've blown it but you go through these little phases and come out the other end again! It's a matter of just keeping on going and having overall more good days/weeks than bad! I look back at all the people I've seen joining my SW class and here on Minimins with big losses each week for a while only to give it all up! Whilst many people do lose the weight fast and successfully keep it off, there are also those who put huge pressure on themselves in desperation to succeed and then eventually burn themselves out! In my mind, and I'm only talking from personal experience, slow and steady wins the race! What is it someone once said, a dripping tap still fills a bucket!X

Keep a really positive attitude at all times! Maybe keep a diary and write down all the things you're looking forward to about losing weight!X

Last edited:
I've just given up smoking too and it's not easy doing both. I think 3lbs is a marvellous loss - well done you!

Don't be disheartened. I lost 3lb like you in the first week and felt disappointed because other people had massive first week losses, but the second week I lost 5.5lb!!! Sometimes your body takes a while to adjust.

That said, you might turn out to be a person who loses 3lb EVERY week, or a person who the weight comes off slowly for - but as long as it is coming off, the numbers are just that, numbers.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess your right that if it comes off slowly eventually i will get to goal. It just seems so far away at the moment because i have such a lot to lose. Been trying to diet and quit the cigarettes for such a long time but feel really determined this time. Just wish i didnt feel as tired but from what i have read it will all pass and i know im doing it to make me feel better about myself and not be that fat one in the corner !

Julie i cant access your profile because im a new member but im on facebook too so you can search me if you like mandie lilleystone and i will add you.

Think i will start doing a food diary and then at least if im not doing it right people will tell me where i am going wrong.

Thanks to you all and we can all do this and this forum is the place to start .

mandie xxxx

Hi Mandie,

Well firstly, well done on taking on 2 big challenges at once!! It can't be easy giving up ciggies AND embarking on a weight loss programme (including quite a bit of exercise) both at the same time, so cut yourself some slack!! Don't put too much pressure on yourself or you'll burn yourself out!

Secondly 3lb is an excellent first loss!! People strive to get massive losses, especially on their first week, but it's not about how much you can lose each week, it's about how long you stick to it and changing your attitude/relationship with food in the long term! I lost 1.5lb in my first week, 1lb in my second week, 2lb in my third week. And I stuck to it religiously! At the time I was disappointed but now 14 months later I'm looking back and proud of my current total loss (although it was 4lb more than that pre-Chrimbo binge!), it averages less than 1lb per week, but the pride comes from knowing that I've changed my ways, enjoyed my food and new lifestyle thoroughly and I see it as a work in progress for life! I have had loads of terrible weeks where I've doubted my ability to do it and eaten all the rubbish under the sun and wondered if I've blown it but you go through these little phases and come out the other end again! It's a matter of just keeping on going and having overall more good days/weeks than bad! I look back at all the people I've seen joining my SW class and here on Minimins with big losses each week for a while only to give it all up! Whilst many people do lose the weight fast and successfully keep it off, there are also those who put huge pressure on themselves in desperation to succeed and then eventually burn themselves out! In my mind, and I'm only talking from personal experience, slow and steady wins the race! What is it someone once said, a dripping tap still fills a bucket!X

Keep a really positive attitude at all times! Maybe keep a diary and write down all the things you're looking forward to about losing weight!X

Perfectly put! xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mandie,

I am starting Slimming World tonight and am on day 12 of no ciggies. I feel like I have ate twice my own bodyweight in rubbish since New years Day. 3lb is fantastic!! If I have lost 3lb next thursday i WILL BE DELIGHTED. Its so hard isn't it?

My friend is coming with me and she has done slkimming world before so I will have a little bit of help - I usually do WW.

Wish me luck guys!!

Hi Hun
I am also on my second week after rejoining last week. I want to get back to target asap :)
Your scales are bound to be different to sw ones. Try not to weigh in on them as you only feel disheartened. It is hard not to resist though as I have also got home scales lol!
Good luck for your second week. xxxx

Ianrush9! I know how you feel, i feel like i have just eaten and eaten since i quit on 1st Jan. I am finding that i keep looking at the superfree in the book and trying to pick at the lists on there. I also made some pasta up and put lots of the superfree into it like toms, spring onion, peppers etc and picked at that whenever i felt the need to eat. It has to be the hardest thing ever because all you want to do is eat so i completely understand where you are coming from. But i guess if i hadnt joined SW i may well have put 3lb on or even more by reaching for the wrong foods like i usually would. Sending you lots of luck you can do it and i look forward to keeping up to date with you on here.

Mrswilsoncroft....yep its just too tempting to weigh on the scales at home but i really am going to try hard not to this week and hopefully be pleasantly surprised next tuesday when i weigh in. Good luck to you and thanks for replying.

Mandie x

Back