Kalima does Keto

I did a blood glucose reading this morning 5.3, thats actually less than it needs to be (5.6). Incredible, im getting non diabetic readings now

The electrician arrived before 9am and got my new hob fitted and working, very pleased with it although i dont have much use for it currently.
I seem to be eating out all the time, tonight it was another meal out with friends that are visitng. My plan was to have a house salad or something similar, but where we ended up salads were relegated to appetisers. I plumped for the cucumber salad which was served on a platter thinly sliced and drizzled with olive oil and some chopped parsley, and a half grilled chicken. To be fair it was delicious, the chicken was served with a whole grilled tomato and a small grilled green pepper, typical canarian style. I had no other sauces bread or potatoes so the meal was pretty low carb. I did have my usual glass of red wine though and bottled water. For the rest of the day i had had 1 meal replacement vanilla shake and a cup of my spinach soup.

Finally my exante order turned up! Less 10 sachets which will be god knows where knowing the spanish postal system. The missing shakes were 10 raspberry and white choc which sound lovely. I will be sad if they are gone forever. So i now have 55 sachets of exante shakes and the possibility 10 more might turn up.

My groupon Exante order also turned up in the uk, that comprises 144 shakes so i pretty much have 3 months supply. There is a groupon offer on again that im very tempted by as it has some interesting flavour shakes and they are very cheap, 47p a sachet. I could get that shipped to my sister for my uk trip in august.

I saw Kate today, she was clearly surprised at my weight loss and it may have spurred her on to get back on the wagon. She rang me from the supermarket wanting to know where their own brand of meal replacement shakes were and my recipe for my spinach and watercress soup. She later sent me a pic of the murky green soup, she had added a whole lot of other veg to it but good for her, maybe she will get back on it after all.

Last edited:
Hi great posts
I have done exante a few times but only managed a week and lose weight and start eating
Watched TV programme wed evening and started Thursday morning as had products at home from last time I tried
Started 15s 9 Thurs morning done 2 days and in ketosis this morning by ketostix but I know Saturdays will be my fall down so heres to day 3 for me and I would like to read your posts to keep me motivated x

Well today i decided to try out the 6 hour eating window. Basically its an 18 hour fast and 6 hours in which you have all your food. The fasting helps regulate blood glucose levels , it gives your liver and pancreas a rest.

So i decided my 6 hour window is 3pm to 9pm because i want to have a choc shake before bedtime as it ensures i dont go to bed hungry. Getting to 3pm for my first shake was a bit of a struggle but i made it. I dont like eating too early anyway. At 5pm i had some spinach soup, went out for a walk at 6pm and got home about 7.20pm when i had a salad with some cured salmon (gravlax) which was delicious. Now its 9pm and having the choc shake. Actually its chocolate orange which i ordered by mistake. I dont dislike them but would have prefered chocolate.

I really like this because once i got to 3pm ive felt full for 6 hours. Its great!

Saw Kate today, she seems a bit more upbeat about losing weight but still isnt making a real effort. She drank half a bottle of wine last night (that she admitted to) and has her parents over for dinner this evening. She talks diet but im not convinced she is doing diet. She doesnt want to get weighed either. She still claims to have lost 2 kilos. I hope she gets it together.

Last edited:
Got a phone call at 3.30am from my son Rob. His bedroom door is jammed and he cant open it. His girlfriend went up to bed and the door lock jammed when she closed the door. He had to get a ladder to climb through the bedroom window. They are stuck. Fortunately they have an ensuite bathroom.

So he rings me for a solution. Im 2000 miles away from him, besides im no good with a screwdriver anyway. I tell him to go to bed and sort it out in the morning.

At 10am I ring my other son Richard who is a carpenter, to find if he went round and sorted It. I just assumed Rob would have phoned him. They live in the same street, im 2000 bloody miles away!!! No, he had not heard from him and in any case he was just about to get in a taxi to go the airport. He is off to Greece on holiday. So i ring Rob, did you get the door opened? No i was asleep. sigh.........

Got a phone call at 3.30am from my son Rob. His bedroom door is jammed and he cant open it. His girlfriend went up to bed and the door lock jammed when she closed the door. He had to get a ladder to climb through the bedroom window. They are stuck. Fortunately they have an ensuite bathroom.

So he rings me for a solution. Im 2000 miles away from him, besides im no good with a screwdriver anyway. I tell him to go to bed and sort it out in the morning.

At 10am I ring my other son Richard who is a carpenter, to find if he went round and sorted It. I just assumed Rob would have phoned him. They live in the same street, im 2000 bloody miles away!!! No, he had not heard from him and in any case he was just about to get in a taxi to go the airport. He is off to Greece on holiday. So i ring Rob, did you get the door opened? No i was asleep. sigh.........
I hope that it's not Rob who is bringing your packets out to you....will he get out in time?!? 😄
Glad you've made contact with Kate, it's good to have a friend, but starting off I would guess you don't need any negativity to make you fall off the wagon.
Did you get your hob sorted? Even doing three packets a day, I wouldn't want the hassle of having to sort something like that!
I watched both episodes of the Fast Fix yesterday, certainly made for interesting viewing. I also watched The Truth About Carbs on BBC iPlayer; that was really interesting too. End of my week 2 on Friday so I'm hoping to hang in there until then. Got a busy week coming up so I'll see how it rolls. 😊

Hi Pigletville yes Rob is in charge of bringing me my order lol. He did eventually escape the bedroom but the door frame is now damaged.

I got my shiny new hob fitted, so im full swing back into spinach soup production. That and boiled eggs are pretty much the only thing i cook now lol.

Weigh in day today, 5.6 kilos lost in 2 weeks

I booked a cruise! We go 18th January so i have plenty of time to lose weight for it. Its a Thomson cruise around the Canary Islands Madeira and Morocco. It starts and finishes in Santa Cruz in Tenerife where we live so getting to the ship will be easy. We have done quite a few cruises before, mostly starting and finishing in Barcelona which meant hotels and flights. So not having to travel far to the ship is a bonus.

The diet is just starting to get easier. Doing a 6 hour eating window works so well for me and by 9pm i feel really full. I still feel hungry a bit in the morning but i can cope quite happily with that, its being hungry in the evening that defeats me.

Im reading The Diabetes Code which is interesting and scary in that it describes how totally devastating and damaging diabetes is. To be fair, i know a lot of what the book dscribes but i choose to push it to the back of my mind. I know my body is starting to crumble under the strain.

My first sign of the disease progressing was a small ulcer on my shin that would not heal. These persistent ulcers can turn very nasty and can eventually lead to amputation. I was aware i had it last December and it just would not heal. Ive been treating it bykeeping it clean and using antibiotic and antiseptic cream. 2 weeks on this diet and it has finally healed! New skin is growing over. I think there will be a scar but thank goodness its gone.

My blood glucose remains low although i forgot to test this morning. I want to have a bodyscan to identify my internal fat, especially liver and pancreas as those are key factors in diabetes. Im back in the uk in August and there is a company in london that will do a full bodyscan and follow up consultation for £159. Im going to do it, if i can see the damage it will help strengthen my resolve. Hopefully by August my results will not be too bad if last weeks program is anything to go by.

Im going back to the UK early August for 3 weeks. Im going to a wedding on the 8th, my brothers 50th birthday on the 18th, a weekend away with my brothers and sisters on the 11th, plus i have to fit in 2 diabetic clinic appointments. A lot going on! Plus in all of this i plan to keep to my diet, or at least a low carb version of it.

I will be staying with my sister and i have already arranged for a delivery of exante products to be sent to her. For the wedding i have an outfit in mind, i have a lovely cocktail dress which i bought 2 years ago that ive worn maybe twice. It was always snug on me so to get into it i have to diet. I tried it on today to see how much i have to lose to wear it. Shockingly it fits! So much so that it wont be any good for the wedding as it will be too big! Im going to have to find a reason to wear it soon before that happens. So its going to be a new dress for the wedding. Hopefully something that will do for my brothers party as well. Im not ditching the dress though, i love it, its a very flattering bodycon style dress so i will find a dressmaker locally to take it in for my cruise in January.

The diabetic clinic appointments will be interesting and i hope for good news , certainly my daily readings continue to be low even though i have now cut my metformin dose in half.

Ive had a shitty day today, i dont know why i get these bad diet days where i crave every carbohydrate known to man. I woke with headache, and felt shaky all day until this evening. Feeling much better now though and hopefully tomorrow will be good.

When i finally got my exante order last week there were 10 sachets of white chocolate and rasberry shakes missing. I just assumed they had got lost in the spanish postal system somewhere and would never be seen again. I was quite sad about that as i was looking for to that one. Today they turned up! And just 10 minutes before i was due to have my first shake, so i tucked into one of those and it was lovely!

Ive decided i really dont like the choc orange ones so i will take those back to the uk and sell them on ebay. I ordered those by mistake anyway i wanted just chocolate which is really nice.

I weighed this morning and have now lost 7kg or 1st 1.5lbs. Im so pleased with that

Yes I like the raspberry and white chocolate shakes. The equivalent biscuit is a bit dense. I tried a Dahl pot today, needed some chilli. I find the meals/ sachets that need cooking much more satisfying. The shakes I can finish in a couple of mouthfuls, at least the hot ones take longer to gulp down!.
Well done on the loss so far. How long have you been going now?

Wow its been a while since i posted here last. Been very busy with family staying and other events but nothing has deterred me from my diet. I started Exante on June 4th at 99.5kg and this morning im 90.6kg so pretty much 9kg or 19.8lb in 5 weeks. But overall since January i have now lost 30lb

The biggest issue ive had over the past couple of weeks is my blood glucose going way too low even on the half dose i had cut it down to. I had 2 hypos that had me collapsing in a heap so I stopped my diabetic meds entirely for a week but the bg was creeping up. It never went over 7 though. Im back on it now, a quarter dose (500g metformin from 2000g) and my bg seems to be holding steady at 5.5.

I am evolving my diet more towards ketogenic. I have discovered fat coffee and love it! Cant start my day now without one.

I was on keto for a few months before exante, I hit a plateau so switched to exante. I think switching between the two will work for me. I love keto coffee! I do miss it on exante, but find a coffee mixed with a vanilla or coconut able kind of fills the gap 😀

Wow such amazing determination and loss! Well done!

17th July weight now 88.7kg. I wanted to lose 10kg by Aug 6th for my diabetic clinic but ive done that already with a loss of pretty much 11kg.

I go back to the uk 2 weeks on Thursday and my diabetic review is on 6th Aug in just under 3 weeks. I reckon i might lose another 3 kilo by then, ideally now i would like to be 85kg in fact i need to be to get into this damn dress for the wedding on the 8th Aug. It goes on but tight across my stomach, i hate lumpy stomach under a too tight dress. Why do women do that, who are they fooling. I want to wear this dress but i dont want to look ridiculous in it. What will be will be, there is nothing more diet wise that i can do that im not already doing.

I saw Kate today. I dont know what to say, i know she has been avoiding me, she only turned up today because she needed something. The day we were both weighed by the Herbalife rep i was 99.5kg and she was 92.5kg. I know these were the figures, ive always known these were the figures. She now claims she was heavier than that! To make her losses look better. She says she is now 88.5kg which makes us weigh about the same, then she says she might have put weight on in the last 2 weeks because of family commitments, which involve drinking quantities of vodka apparently and a bottle of wine a night. Sigh... ok Kate lets drop the subject. If she isnt ready then she isnt ready, ive done my best to encourage her. I didn’t want to be the only one succeeding at this, i really wanted it for her too.

Great to read your posts - and that you may cut your metformin. Congratulation on yr progress.

17th July weight now 88.7kg. I wanted to lose 10kg by Aug 6th for my diabetic clinic but ive done that already with a loss of pretty much 11kg.

I go back to the uk 2 weeks on Thursday and my diabetic review is on 6th Aug in just under 3 weeks. I reckon i might lose another 3 kilo by then, ideally now i would like to be 85kg in fact i need to be to get into this damn dress for the wedding on the 8th Aug. It goes on but tight across my stomach, i hate lumpy stomach under a too tight dress. Why do women do that, who are they fooling. I want to wear this dress but i dont want to look ridiculous in it. What will be will be, there is nothing more diet wise that i can do that im not already doing.

I saw Kate today. I dont know what to say, i know she has been avoiding me, she only turned up today because she needed something. The day we were both weighed by the Herbalife rep i was 99.5kg and she was 92.5kg. I know these were the figures, ive always known these were the figures. She now claims she was heavier than that! To make her losses look better. She says she is now 88.5kg which makes us weigh about the same, then she says she might have put weight on in the last 2 weeks because of family commitments, which involve drinking quantities of vodka apparently and a bottle of wine a night. Sigh... ok Kate lets drop the subject. If she isnt ready then she isnt ready, ive done my best to encourage her. I didn’t want to be the only one succeeding at this, i really wanted it for her too.
Shame Kate's not with you on your super successful journey, but you aren't alone, you have the power of the Minimins forum behind you and all your online chums here.
😁

2nd of September! Its been a while since i posted last. Im now pretty much 50lb down. My A1c blood test in August put me in non diabetic range and im off all my meds!

Im no longer doing Exante, in fact i was only on it a few weeks then I discovered Keto and havnt looked back. I eat once a day and do a fat fast once every 4 days. I dont get hungry and i dont get cravings. I feel fit and healthy and look better than i have done in years! My entire wardrobe has been completely revamped but i STILL have too many clothes lol. The local charity are benefiting from my now regular turn outs and the local boutiques are benefiting from the increased income haha. My husband loves my new look and tolerates how much it is costing. I still have about 20lb to lose so im not finished buying clothes yet.

Inspiring!

Wow, the last time i posted was Sept 2nd, so much progress since then. I hit my goal weight of 11st 5lb in December and am down now to around 10st 12lb. Ive lost a total of around 77lb. Im still keto (actually zero carb since end of Jan) and still fasting for 36 to 48 hours on a weekly basis. The fasting ensures no weight regain and keeps my blood glucose low.

Since going zerocarb the whole way of eating became so much easier, i mainly eat fish, chicken, eggs and bacon cream and butter. Trying to limit cheese but it is my one remaining vice. Also i now make kefir daily as a drink and as cheese which is so delicious , even my husband likes it.

Im probably healthier now than for many many years, good energy for my age (64) and comfortably slim for the first time in my life, and the big bonus is that my weight is stable. Im an expert at losing weight, im an expert at gaining weight, but staying the SAME weight has always eluded me till now. Still, its early days still. Ive been steady at 10.12 for some weeks now and very comfortable with my way of eating.

Back