keto safe mixers for vodka?

I dont think anywhere ANYONE has ever said ONE drink has almost killed them....

Bottom line is were all adults here I think it would be irresponsible not to point out the dangers of drinking... its not just speculation its fact... however IF once armed with all the facts people want to drink then thats their choice. I think its equally irresponsible though for people to come on here and say its fine to drink when youre on a VLCD

Everyone has their own opinions on the matter. some people are happy to do it, personally Im not and I dont feel alcohol is that important in my life that I cant do without it. And if its a special occasion and I AM having it maybe Im just a big feartie but wont stay in ketosis lol But that said Im not someone who believes ketosis is the be all and end all in this diet the way some people do, but I guess thats a whole other thread ;)

So long as people are aware of the dangers ultimately what they do is down to them.

Last edited:
Paragee said:
I agree. It's about recognising that you can't drink the same amount that you did before you started this diet - your ratios of water:fat in your body compartments has altered, you've not got enough "padding" in the form of food in your gut to soak up alcohol, and your cells are using a different method of energy production.

...One drink is not going to kill you, but it may give you the worst hangover you've ever had because your body is working a different way at the moment, and you throwing alcohol into the mix might not be appreciated.

...When I've gone through periods where I've stopped drinking alcohol previously (such as during exam revision or when commuting a long distance so always needing to be safe to drive), I'd lose a stone in a month without any other changes to my diet, no problem.

...Alcohol is a bad idea on diets because it's empty calories, it weakens resolve and lends to people falling off the diet wagon, and it does cause hypoglycaemia (which is why diabetics on insulin shouldn't drink to excess). There is no advantage to you in drinking it (lots of disadvantages in fact), but by the same measure if you want a drink, it's not going to kill you. But stop at one drink, don't drink to get drunk, and drink because you want to, not because you think that you should.

Please remember that alcohol kills all by itself, without even bringing what diet you're on into it (in fact, people who are completely alcohol dependant do not eat food - they gain the calories they need to live from what they drink.) It is an incredibly dangerous drug, and should be treated with far more respect than it actually is, which is why your average A&E on a Friday/Saturday night is a version of hell on earth.

Paragee said:
...That said, someone asked a not unreasonable question to the board, and everyone immediately jumped down her throat telling her how awful the concept was; I felt it only fair that I point out that potentially it wasn't necessarily an awful idea, but only as long as you were sensible about it. I'm not going to list my qualifications as to how I have come to make that judgement, but then, no one else has listed their qualifications to be able to authoritatively assert doom and gloom either.

Ultimately, if a 12yr old told you they were thinking about having sex, your immediate reaction would be "For the love of God, no, that's a hideous idea." But if you don't follow that up with a quick tutorial about the concept of condoms, then it will inevitably end badly. People are always going to do things that are bad for them, but since prohibition doesn't work the next best thing is telling them how to do it as safely as possible.

Thus I repeat my assertions:

1) Alcohol kills, no matter what diet you're on, if you don't respect it
2) If you're going to do it: Stop at one drink, don't drink to get drunk, and drink because you want to, not because you think that you should

I have to say I agree. Well said Paragee!

At the end of the day both sides of the argument have been stated and it's up to the individual to make the choice as they see fit. It's good for all of us to see well reasoned debate on this forum for those not in the know because saying something is bad for you won't necessarily stop you from doing it. Most of us on here already know what that is like but with food. i.e. I became overweight because i overate even though I knew it was bad for me.

(Sent from my iPhone) The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

Last edited:
I for one wouldn't risk drinking on a vlcd and have been very grateful for the so called scaremongering offered by members of this forum. I am glad the dangers were pointed out by others who cared about my health so I could make an informed decision. Just my opinion.

Is it worth it for just one occasion? There will be many times when you could drink after.

Keep the reason why you're doing this diet in mind. You've got the will power. Go for it. It's not for ever and your 1st treat drink when you've finished the diet will be even better.

I've been tested in the past few weeks and I'm really pleased for myself that I haven't succumbed. I used to have eat/drink anything I wanted and that's the reason why I'm doing Exante TS and I'm so happy I can control things.

Good luck though with what ever you choose

Tom

Back