Ketosis - help from clever people please

IMac

Gold Member
Ok by Friday it will be my third weigh in. I broke the diet from 7 - 10 days ago but since then have been a saint however I can't get into ketosis according to the tests. I bought some ketostix and do as the packet says but i'm on pale pink rather than the dark pink. I drink loads and spread out my food. As yet I've only had one or 2 soups, no flapjacks and all shakes so logic says i should be in ketosis. Somewhere i read that if its pink then you've reached ketosis but i can't find the link again. I'm not hungry and appear to be losing. Can anyone help and tell me am i aiming for dark pink or is any pink ok ?
Thanks J x

Ok by Friday it will be my third weigh in. I broke the diet from 7 - 10 days ago but since then have been a saint however I can't get into ketosis according to the tests. I bought some ketostix and do as the packet says but i'm on pale pink rather than the dark pink. I drink loads and spread out my food. As yet I've only had one or 2 soups, no flapjacks and all shakes so logic says i should be in ketosis. Somewhere i read that if its pink then you've reached ketosis but i can't find the link again. I'm not hungry and appear to be losing. Can anyone help and tell me am i aiming for dark pink or is any pink ok ?
Thanks J x

You don't want dark burgundy - a cxheeky shade of pink is perfect - make sure you check it at the same timr of day, pref first thing in the morning before you start drinking x

Pale pink is fine hunni.. you are in ketosis...if it is dark pink you will be dehydrated ....

here is the info off ketostix xx
teststrips.jpg
While they are in no way necessary to the diet, most of us feel more secure with a way to test to know if we are in ketosis at any given time and at what level. The test strips provide a quick and private way to determine that. Simply dip the reagent end of the strip into a urine specimen (collected in a clean cup) and remove immediately. Or alternatively, (the method most of us prefer)
— wet reagent area of the strip by passing through the urine stream. Tap edge of strip to remove excess liquid and check color within 10-15 seconds against the color chart provided on all test strip brands' bottles.

A beige or cream color indicates NO KETOSIS detected. Any shade of pink/purple indicates some level of ketones in the urine. Some people get very hung up on the fact that their friend's/husband's/daughter's etc strip shows a darker color all the time, etc. We are all different. Some of us lose better (and feel better) at lighter or darker levels. You'll soon learn what feels right for you.

Hi Imac, this is not a smart scientific answer but I honestly wouldn't bother too much with the ketostix. The first couple of weeks I was a bit disappointed that I could only get a 'trace' reading, but now I don't think the degree of ketosis matters only that you are producing ketones and they are registering on the ketostix no matter how little. I've since stopped using them. My pharmacist doesn't check. I think if you're sticking rigidly with the programme, drinking water as required, losing weight and not feeling particularly hungry, then you are in ketosis.

Thank you - I think I was trying desperately to catch up from last week so bought them very cheap from ebay and thought I was aiming for dark purple. Thanks Nic for the pic i'm knocking around the middle and thats this time of night. I'll try in the morning and check then get rid of the pack !

wow middle ... my turns neg after 11 am get drinking lass xx

I'm reckon i'm drinking about 4 litres of water plus about 10 cups of coffee a day - already I pee at least once an hour ...do I aim for more?
ps you look terrific in your pics x

wow...and it still shows mid pink... you are laughing!! No thats fab hun... i must be one of those who pee's less ketones!
10 cups of coffee!!! how do you sleep???

I work both days and nights (and have done for decades) so my body clock is all to pot. I can sleep anytime but need to be awake so its just habit - prior to the diet i drank water and diet coke as well so now i've substituted the coke for coffee and drink constantly.

my ketostix are dark purple in the morning and beige in the afternoon after drinking. so i guess i must get dehydrated at night and drink enough during the day?? i drink about 3 litres and 5 cups of decaf coffee.

as long as i feel ok and am loosing weight i dont really worry too much.

good luck :)

IMac, I also thought the stick was supposed to be dark when I started and worried coz it was only ever mid pink. My pharmacist never checks wee as she says as long as you are losing you must be in ketosis. It was only when I joined here and read everyone else's posts that I realised I was doing fine and now if I check, which is rare, it is usually pale pink and if it is darker I up my water!

x

Back