Ketostix - colours

flowey

Silver Member
Hi all,
Quick question. I have read quite a few people saying they have pink/purple results on ketostix when in Ketosis.

Apart from my 1st pee in Am I always show - nil, no trace. Am not cheating or picking. I do have 200ml of skimmed milk with coffee's a day but take 3 shakes (half way between ss and ss+)

What do you think, am I in Ketosis or not? Should I quit the milk?

Your ketostix experience would be helpful to me. Thankyou all.

Hi Flowey

I found this post from 2007 from a CDC called JustJo

"Milk contains 5g of carbs per 100ml. Cambridge is calculated to be just under the ketosis level for most people. As has been said, everyone's ketosis levels are different - therefore, some people can get away with adding more carbs to their diet, whereas some can't. As sim says, if you're particularly sensitive the cottage cheese and/or milk on 790 can take you out of ketosis. Even having the higher-carb bars can take some unfortunate souls out of ketosis!"

I dont know if this helps....You are still losing!

My sticks are dark, I am not drinking anything apart from water, black coffee and black tea....

Let us know how you get on

Kirsty

as i am led to believe as long as the stick isnt coming up BEIGE (the end one on the chart) you are in ketosis.....if it is too dark you need more liquids x

You don't actually need to be in ketosis for CD to work. So in a way, it doesn't matter.

The thing about being in ketosis is that it keeps hunger pangs at bay. Are you feeling particularly hungry? That's more of a guide to go by than what the keto-stick says, IMHO. Because the diet doesn't work any faster just because you're in ketosis.

Given that your first stick of the day is showing ketones, I'd say that there's nothing to worry about. The fact that there's no trace for the rest of the day is probably a good sign - that you're drinking enough water. Keep enjoying your milk. :D

Thanks all for that.
I gues lilly is right. It probably doesn't matter wether it shows or not. I do get a little hungry in the mornings though when i drink most of the milk, so may try and cut down if can't stop altogther, I'll let you know the results.
I'm being stupid really as I did a short burst of 5 weeks before a holiday (which got me hooked as here I am again). I never tested in my first 5 weeks as didn't know you could. I lost weight then, so why its so important now I'll never know.
Warning - ketostix may get you over obsessed with pee and the pink/purple colour.
I guess when you want something badly enough, you just sometimes need to check your going in the right direction. My pee was probably not the right test meduim, I am loosing like lilly says!

P.S Lilly you are so brave a strong to weigh monthly. I would never be strong or brave enough to do that. I've only just stopped weighing myself and having my one weigh a week. Well done you, I'm in awe!

Thanks all for that.
I gues lilly is right. It probably doesn't matter wether it shows or not. I do get a little hungry in the mornings though when i drink most of the milk, so may try and cut down if can't stop altogther, I'll let you know the results.
I'm being stupid really as I did a short burst of 5 weeks before a holiday (which got me hooked as here I am again). I never tested in my first 5 weeks as didn't know you could. I lost weight then, so why its so important now I'll never know.
Warning - ketostix may get you over obsessed with pee and the pink/purple colour.
I guess when you want something badly enough, you just sometimes need to check your going in the right direction. My pee was probably not the right test meduim, I am loosing like lilly says!

Just so you know, the further down the chart you are, the more dehydrated you are, not necessarily the more in ketosis you are.

Therefore it is actually better to be higher up the chart :) xx

Luci-de-milo, ooo thanks for that. I must be being saintly then hee hee.
I'm actually thinking that everyone must be different as I drink the same as a friend on cd. She was put to the challenge to drink and dilute her purple (was on good water before) and she struggled. Me, I drink plenty but not ltrs and ltrs and I'm buff if mild pink.
I'm going to not have skim milk tommorow and pee all day and record my findings, just out of curiosity.
Am not over worried about it now, if I plateau I may.

I have been on CD for 6 weeks and have only ever had the buff or very pale pink result in the morning too, but I am losing weight each week, sometimes I am hungry, but being slim means more to me than eating at the moment so I get through it. I stopped having the bars to try and help, but that hasn't helped either, although I have started losing more weight again since not having the bars...

Just so you know, the further down the chart you are, the more dehydrated you are, not necessarily the more in ketosis you are.

Therefore it is actually better to be higher up the chart :) xx

Or it could be that your body is dumping ketones as you are producing so much of them it has loads, so is flushing out the spare :)

Or its dumping ketones because you've eaten and now has an alternative fuel source too. :)

Its not always clear if ketones are a source of dehydration. I know the stock answer on CD is the darker the more dehydrated but its not always the case.

To be perfectly honest - you don't need the sticks, if you are losing weight, if you feel good then the diets working. Focus on yourself and the diet and don't worry about the sticks.

Back