Kids... and weight issues..

i totally agree with you all.. Thanks so much for the input.. i found it really interesting to hear everyones views on it.. thought it was just me who was shocked.. lol..

*big hugs all round*

x x x

My 11 year old son was in tears a few weeks ago as a boy in his year called him "fat".. I asked him if he thought he was fat and he answered no.. I said good because you are not.. I showed him my muffin top and he laughed "that is fat" I told him " but soon mum wont have that as I am eating healthy food and looking after myself. I explained that it was more to do with being healthy than being a particular size.
He decided that if the particular boy continued to make comments he would ask him if he fancied him as he was so interested in his size. I laughed!

I hate children in adults stuff, & for me that is clothes, makeup, nailvarnish & I even dislike ears pierced (I am going to make mine wait a long time but I hate it when you see babies & toddlers with them done - I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me on this one)

Another pet hate is young children drinking fizzy drinks - our eldest (3 1/2) knows these are grown up drinks which she is not allowed, the most she gets is a sip if we are at a party! We went to a childrens birthday party & one Dad poured fizzy (got for parents) for his Daughter which confused all the others no end although I was pleased all the other parents were saying the same as me!

Nicky

ShrinkingNicky, I completely agree!
And I do think all posters made valid points.
It's quite alarming, the distorted perceptions of weight and size in the UK/Ireland at the moment.
There seem to be many more folk at the extreme ends of the scale, I can never recall seeing so many Size 00 or morbidly obese people. Now kids think a size 12 is 'fat', pole-dancing or 'being famous' is a career choice....argh!

or being a wag.. in the article i read.. these two kids.. who were like.. 9 or something.. who both got fake tan.. fake nails.. high neels.. kids "adult clothing".. their aspiration was to be a wag.. i was like.. what the hell??? what happened to kids wanting to be a vet.. or a doctor.. or a ballarina..

x

The fact these kids are not mocking it is good... But my real concern is the amount of vastly over weight young kids and teenagers there days. With all the technology and vast amounts of computer games etc - the majority of kids just don't go out and play any more like they used to when I was little.

My weight gain started about the age of 22, and has been an upward spiral for the last ten years. I really thought that I'd started getting things under control earlier this year and have been determined to get my life and health back.

I've done ok so far ..... considering not long into my "change" (change being permanant life change of food intake rather than a diet) I fell pregnant !

I found out 10 weeks ago I was expecting and so far have only put on 1lb. I'm fairly happy with that and will tackle the rest of the weight I want to lose once the little one arrives.

I'm sure a lot of kids weight related problems are down to the way they are brought up... ie - how they are fed, parents lifestyle in way of fitness etc. Part of that also includes if the parents are badly overweight. I do mean lots overweight and not just a little (parents and kids)

For me, it's even more important now to make sure I control my diet and eat healthily, now and after the baby is born. I don't want my child copying my bad habits and suffering the same consequences.

Now, the food in our cupboards and fridge are so very different than what they were 6 months ago. As a snack after dinner in front of tv - I'd no longer think of reaching for a bar of chocolate. Infact, I don't crave chocolate at all. I'd rather have an apple or some fresh strawberries if I fancy a snack.

I think much of the difference for me will be being more active and out there walking or cycling with a child from a young age - or playing hopskotch,etc.

i remember from the age of between 8-10, not sure where exactly, being told that i had to watch what i ate and that i was overweight. i also remember at 10 being in the school toilets and the girls were measuring everyone's waists. well of course mine was the highest and everybody started whispering about me. all this did was make me feel useless and fat and why should i bother dieting if people think i'm fat anyways. i'm not entirely sure how i managed to become a fat teenager. my mum always fed me healthy food. i probably sneaked them to be honest. once i was old enough and at school. my dad has always struggled with his weight. a battle he generally loses and my mum is slender. guess whose genes i got!!

when i look back at pictures, i wasn't fat. i wasn't skinny. i was just 10. if kids hadn't been saying things to me then, and adults hadn't mentioned it all the time, i probably would have had a much healthier attitude to my diet and not ended up all fat and defiant at 14!!

abz xx

Back