Kids Christmas Presents

Fizzy

Silver Member
What do you do if your little one asks for something you can't afford, do you tell them (from Santa) or make excuses or what?

Depends on how little.

If it's an under 5, I'd probably just say "Is that what you would like:cool:?"

End of subject. Have acknowledged and understood what they are telling me they want, without promising anything from anyone

Probably be all forgotten about by tomorrow morning anyway.

It is good for kids to learn that they can't always get everything they want just because they have asked, even at christmas.

What do you do if your little one asks for something you can't afford, do you tell them (from Santa) or make excuses or what?

I always told mine that I had to pay Santa :rolleyes: and that all the boys and girls in the world were asking for pressies...so Santa had lots to go round.....

Debz x

Shes 6 and doesn't change her mind as her Christmas list is a very thought out thing. I don't normally get everything on her list (leave off a couple of little things) as its just a suggestion to Santa (and want her to know its not a list of demands), but can I not get her a main present that shes asked for?

How realistic is it that you could save up for it and get it for her? If you can manage to get it without it causing much more than a small belt tighten then I would say get it. Even if you are still paying for it in January it would be worth it for the joy it would bring her if it is something she really really wants

Im not sure Taz, we live on a budget anyway. I have texted her dad and asked about a contribution, not sure how that will go down as he doesn't see her. Im going to see if I can sell some stuff on ebay too and shes given me some toys that are too young for her to sell to help with the bills (how cute is that).

I really think at that age what she wants in September is not going to be what she wants by Christmas, especially once the TV ads start in earnest. Just hold fire for awhile, put aside what you can and see what the situation is nearer the time......it's WAY TOO EARLY to be talking about Christmas!!

When my 2 sons were small, every toy advert that came on the telly they would say that they would love that for xmas, what we used to do was tell them that we bought the presents and sent them to Santa who would deliver them with an extra present from him, so to pick things that they really wanted and they would get a good selection of them. It helped them understand that they couldn't always get everything they wanted and they really do appreciate things even now and they are 19 and 15 years of age. xxx

my daughter shes 5 , everything she sees on the adverts she says I want that , I say well you will have to see what you get . They just don't understand lol ... Say make a list and put down the things you really want , but you may not get all of them , then that way he or she knows

I also look on USA websites, you can find that stuff over there is really cheap and even with shipping is very good. A lot of my stuff is coming from there

I also look on USA websites, you can find that stuff over there is really cheap and even with shipping is very good. A lot of my stuff is coming from there
You have to be very careful as I have done that before and you hink you have paid for everything then an tax bill arrives. It can make it more expensive than paying full price over here

Back