Kindle or kobo?

Safia

Gold Member
Hiya everyone i am thinking of getting a e reader and cant decide whether to get a kindle or kobo. From online reviews kobo is more appealing but when i went on their website some of the books i am likely to read are not available to read so not sure which one to get now x

I have a kindle and love it,loads of cheap books but on the downside sometimes books are cheaper in asfa,tesco but it is excellent when you go on hols,no heavy handluggage x

i have a kindle and absolutely love it! i have had it for a year this month, and i have only spent £1.94 on books for it since. there are thousands of free books available for it on amazon, and some have been excellent! and they often have sales where loads of books are 20p, even big name authors.

Kindle for me too. I rarely pay anything for books now because there are so many free ones on Amazon.

I was swaying to the kobo for that reason jezzi because of its open format but i did a quick search for catherine cookson books and the only ones they had were in another language and i wouldnt know where to look to find some that i could read. Lol its such a hard decision x

gettingfit said:
I got the fifty shades of grey in PDF and used Calibre to convert them to MOBI so I could read them on my Kindle as I find reading PDF's difficult on Kindle.

I use calibre too but can only use it for files that aren't locked by DRM (I have a Sony ereader and didn't want to confuse the issue by giving my views but also have kindle on iPad and iPhone). So it will change formats of files and can do it really quickly. Lots more files are being sold locked and I believe there is a way of unlocking them but I haven't explored that yet. Can understand why they do lock them but it is really annoying if you actually buy the book but you have more than one format that you may want to read it on. I bought a book for my OH which I could get from amazon but wanted to put it on my ereader (wasn't available in Sony store) but couldn't convert. It's all such a racket now with digital stuff. We apparently don't even own these things according to apple if you use them, they just lend them to us. If things were less costly and there were less greedy folk taking a cut of the artist's earnings there would be less piracy. Sorry rant over. Don't know where that came from!

I have a kobo and I adore it, it may sound shallow but my kobo is pretty haha it is white with a lilac back that is what swayed my choice lol

I have the kobo, the only thing that made me chose that was the fact it was 50 quid! Couldn't argue with that!!

I got a Sony for hubby a couple of years ago, he loved it until he bought me a Kindle last Crimbo. .He uses 'BooksOnBoard' for most of his downloads but laments he can only get a fraction of the books I can get. .Embarrasingly, neither of us has the 'tech gene' so all this 'sync' and 'Calibre' jargon just goes over our heads :ashamed0005:. .As as a bog-standard user .. . . . . kindle wins in our house. .I've got the basic model (£89 last year but pretty sure it's avail for £69 now) and am getting hubby one from this Crimbo - not sure if I'll get the same as mine or the touch version. .Not bothering with the Fire as I can't see either of us using it for anyting other than reading so no need for colour etc.

Oh, don't know about Kobo but consumables might be something else to perhaps take into account. His Sony came with a stylus for turning pages that broke quite easily and when I searched, is not easily or cheaply available! .It's not actually required if truth be told but if it was . . . . . . .

I love my Kindle, even though I am on my 2nd as the first broke! Thankfully Amazon claimed it was still under the 12 month warranty even though I'd had it for about 18 months, so they sent me a new one free of charge.... result!

When I first bought my Kindle I did pay to download books, purely for those I would have bought in hard copy anyway. But these days I just tend to download the free ones from Amazon. I have also bought a couple of dvd/cd roms from eBay, one of which had 11,000 books on it and the other a few hundred... paid about £3 for each disc and am able to replace about half of my hard copy library from the 2 discs! OK, granted, there are lots of books on each disc I am not really interested in reading but I've had way over my money's worth from each disc for those I do want to read!

I love my kindle, I am on my 2nd one as I had the kindle keyboard and my dog jumped on it and the screen cracked inside. I now have the kindle touch. I am thinking of upgrading though as the new kindle is out on the 25th October and it looks amazing.
My next door neighbour has a kobo and she has had a bit of trouble ordering books on it but other than that i dont really know much about them x

Lol nettie you just saved my husband, i was going to buy the kindle today and he told me to wait for a few weeks as they might be a new one coming out and the prices of the older ones will come down so i told him if it didnt he would be in big trouble, i was going to give it till around christmas new years time so i guess i'm lucky as i wont be waiting for long and can also see how the new kindle is like even though i dont want to spend a lot x

i have a kindle, the original keyboard one and am wanting to upgrade. i will be buying another kindle but i will be buying the 3g one, as kindle have paid for your internet connection through 3g no matter where you are in the world. so you dont need to pay any costly internet charges when on holiday - BONUS!!

tracy

Oooo will have to look at the 3g one too, lol sorry it was only yesterday i decided i wanted a e reader because i keep on running out of books to read and it not always convenient to get to a library. Thanks to my husband i didnt buy one today so i guess it gives me more time to research which one i really want instead of going in blind because i am so rubbish when it comes to technical things x

I love my Kindle, even though I am on my 2nd as the first broke! Thankfully Amazon claimed it was still under the 12 month warranty even though I'd had it for about 18 months, so they sent me a new one free of charge.... result!

Just to confirm, my first kindle was the Kindle keyboard wifi. When it broke a few weeks ago and they offered to replace it under the (expired!) warranty I was told they no longer did just the wifi version, they only did the 3g version now so they would send me a Kindle keyboard 3g instead, worth more than my original Kindle, even bigger result! It never used to bother me not having 3g previously as I used to download over my home wifi network, but it does come in handy while visiting my parents as they don't have wireless broadband! Not that I don't have enough loaded up on thre to read of course! I usually have at least a hundred books loaded up at any one point in time!

Back