Kindle or Sony ereader?

Okay I'm still debating whether to get one or not.

Can someone explain the benefits of going for the more expensive 3G version? Is it only that you can download books pretty much anywhere?

Also, for the standard kindle do you need a wireless router at home to download books - the literature seems to suggest this. Or is there another way to download ebooks?

Id personally say theres no benefit going for the 3g one. Ive seen people say its great you can download books on the go but seriously when are you likely to need to download a book so urgently you cant wait til you go home.

You can download books online and put them straight onto your Kindle. I think though if you get any from Amazon youd need to be connected via wi fi somewhere. Though if you buy them on Amazon theyre sent instantly to your Kindle, if the wi fi isnt on it just holds it til the next time it is.

Hi Circes,

I have the standard one- you can download the books wirelessly or you can go to the amazon website, download the books using Internet explored and the next time you are are connected to the Internet wirelessly the books will be downloaded on to your kindle for you to read.

That's the thing - I don't have wireless broadband at home. Can I still use a Kindle?

Circes said:
That's the thing - I don't have wireless broadband at home. Can I still use a Kindle?

Yeah, just plug your kindle into your computer and it will do the same.

I have kindle on my phone, I love it, I can read while at work without being disturbed, if I take a book to work, I spend my break being asked what I am reading... Because everyone thinks I'm on Facebook or texting no one interrupts... I read a lot, both on my kindle or 'normal' books, so I am never without one on my phone or at home...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Well just public places with WiFi.

I've been browsing on the Kindle Support pages on Amazon and it does say that you can download archived content from amazon.co.uk to the Kindle via the USB

Can I ask one last, possibly daft , question? Is the screen black and white or colour? I ask because I would probably use it for pdf files a lot - but the ones I use need to be viewed in colour. it would be a great benefit to be able to download a stack of pdfs for when I am away from home but only if I can see them in colour.

That's a shame about the screen - I would have definitely got one otherwise but now I'm in two minds again :sigh:

Thanks for everyone's advice - gotta love Minimins!

Yes, that's why I got the 3G one as well. It works abroad too. I checked where I usually go on holiday and there is excellent 3G coverage there - normally it costs me quite a bit to access the internet when I am there, so it will eventually pay for itself.

Circes said:
Well just public places with WiFi.

I've been browsing on the Kindle Support pages on Amazon and it does say that you can download archived content from amazon.co.uk to the Kindle via the USB

Can I ask one last, possibly daft , question? Is the screen black and white or colour? I ask because I would probably use it for pdf files a lot - but the ones I use need to be viewed in colour. it would be a great benefit to be able to download a stack of pdfs for when I am away from home but only if I can see them in colour.

I think you would be better off with an iPad if your budget can stretch to one.

There is an ereader that would let you view things in colour, it is called a Nook colour, but it is only available in US at the moment.

Nah the iPad isn't like the kindle.. I can read forever on the kindle but my eyes start to hurt after a while on the iPad..too much glare from the ipad.

I got one in John Lewis today and it is charging as we speak - will let you know how I get on!

I did check prices before I bought mine, and I didn't find them cheaper anywhere. Everyone seems to sell them at the same price, so it was easier to go to our local John Lewis.

Back