Kitchen Essentials

my_girl

Im starting plan on sunday from home and am wondering what kitchen essentials you use that have been a great help? x

Scales and a measuring jug (for your HExs :D)

measuring spoons

Also useful:

A decent non-stick frying pan (or the pan liner you can get from various pound shops)

A handblender (for soups)

A shredding blade for your food processor (for coleslaw)

In addition to wenchie's list, some really good quality sharp knives and something with which to keep them sharp.

a set of good knives

good quality digital weighing scales

measuring cups/spoons

hand blender

good quality non stick pans

grill pan

freezer/fridge containers (handy for storing soups/leftovers etc)

Frylight
Extra light mayo
Seasonings like cajun, steakhouse pepper

I always use an apple corer and a reamer for juicing lemon and limes ... as well as everything else that has been mentioned x

My new kitchen gadget which I adore is a potato ricer. Makes mashed potato really light and fluffy.

I also saw a buger shaper on here the other day so that's my next purchase.

Cupboard essentials
Chicken Stock
Chicken Bovril
Alpen light bars
Herbs & spices
Tinned tomatoes
Mushrooms
Onions

I also buy some of the schwartz or colmans packets like chicken chasseur mix or chicken casserole so if I'm ever stuck for a family meal I can just knock something together

Freezer essentials
Frozen veg
Stew packs
Chicken pieces
Extra lean mince
Peppers

scales, measuring spoons, jugs, a good non stick frying pan, also get some frylight and make sure you have a good aray of herbs and spices, sharp knives basic kitchen stuff and if you go to class I would recommend picking up the recipe books to start you off as there good :D

Remember that spices don't keep for ever and don't buy more than you are going to use. It is easy to get carried away when you are standing in front of all those jars on the supermarket shelf!

Same with herbs. In fact, I never buy dried herbs as I think they always taste dusty. I only buy fresh ones (sometimes I grow them) as and when I need them.

And whatever spices you do get, keep them in the cupboard, in the dark.

My new kitchen gadget which I adore is a potato ricer. Makes mashed potato really light and fluffy.

I also saw a buger shaper on here the other day so that's my next purchase.

Cupboard essentials
Chicken Stock
Chicken Bovril
Alpen light bars
Herbs & spices
Tinned tomatoes
Mushrooms
Onions

I also buy some of the schwartz or colmans packets like chicken chasseur mix or chicken casserole so if I'm ever stuck for a family meal I can just knock something together

Freezer essentials
Frozen veg
Stew packs
Chicken pieces
Extra lean mince
Peppers

Have you got a link or anything for the burger shaper? Think one would be good for summer bbq's! x

Also reorganise your kitchen so that low syn items are easier to get to. and put your fruit bowl on the coffee table.

Same with herbs. In fact, I never buy dried herbs as I think they always taste dusty. I only buy fresh ones (sometimes I grow them) as and when I need them.

If you buy the fresh herbs in plant pots from the supermarket they will keep for ages, just remember to water when dry and don't let them flower. Pick the big leaves first using your thumb & forefinger, except for chives where you use scissors (apologies if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs here)
I've had my basil, mint & chives for 2yrs :D

If you buy the fresh herbs in plant pots from the supermarket they will keep for ages, just remember to water when dry and don't let them flower. Pick the big leaves first using your thumb & forefinger, except for chives where you use scissors (apologies if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs here)
I've had my basil, mint & chives for 2yrs :D

How do you stop them from flowering? I don't know the first thing about growing plants.

Back