Kitchen essentials

Sculls

Silver Member
Hi all!

I am soon shopping for all things kitchen and wondering if you could recommend what knives are best?
Also I am looking at ovenware and like Le creuset but pro cook is also looking good for the price!?

I love to cook and will be cooking more and more

Thanks

I have Global knives and they are fantastic, but they are very expensive (mine were a gift!). With knives you do pretty much get what you pay for, so get the best you can afford. And get something to sharpen them with and do it regularly. No matter how good the knife, it's useless if it is not sharp.

Before you get Le Creuset - if you mean the cast iron ones, make sure you actually pick them up and see how heavy they are (and imagine getting them out of the oven with the additional weight of food inside). I had a really nice casserole dish of theirs but never used it because I couldn't lift it safely!!

If you have a branch of TKMaxx or Homesense near you, they have very good discounts of quality knives and cookware.

I have Global knives and they are fantastic, but they are very expensive (mine were a gift!). With knives you do pretty much get what you pay for, so get the best you can afford. And get something to sharpen them with and do it regularly. No matter how good the knife, it's useless if it is not sharp.

Before you get Le Creuset - if you mean the cast iron ones, make sure you actually pick them up and see how heavy they are (and imagine getting them out of the oven with the additional weight of food inside). I had a really nice casserole dish of theirs but never used it because I couldn't lift it safely!!

If you have a branch of TKMaxx or Homesense near you, they have very good discounts of quality knives and cookware.

I thought this when I went to look at them the other day! I got some ready Nice pro cook pans so may get their ovenware too x

I have a full set of Le Creuset pans and I love them, but my hands are getting arthritic now and yes they are really heavy. I agree about spending on knives,but I wouldn't get a block, or if you do remember to store them with the cutting edge up. I use a magnetic strip.

We were advised by security assessment that knife blocks are a no-no, all knives should be kept in drawers just in case you disturb a burglar and they grab one!! Terrified me, threw knife block out same day OH was mad it cost him a fortune :) we had le cruset and I found them too heavy.

I recently got a julienne peeler and love it. Its great for courgettes and carrots for stir fries and is much quicker than trying to make little sticks! It would be great for salads too.

I wouldn't be without my mini food processor, I use it to make curry pastes, but then I eat alot of curry! I got it after the Delia "cheat" series and it sat there for a couple of years, but I use it several times a week now.

I have a little one but thinking about investing in a big one soon! I saw a vegetable chopper 50% off in this months SW magazine that I may buy!

Back