Kitchen gadgets!

Can't think of anymore, but the least used gadget is a rice cooker I got as a present :confused: How anyone can actually 'need' one of those is totally beyond me :D lol

i love my rice cooker! its so easy, rice tastes so much nicer cooked in it, and you can just go out and leave it to cook you dont have to stand over it and make sure it doesnt boil over like if you do it a pan - probably wouldnt be worth it for one person but for a family of four its brilliant xx

My steamer has rice tray Jesca, I've not tried it yet though, but as my steamer is permanently on the worktop I might give it a whirl sometime :D

Oh and puddings?? Do tell please :D

oops I appear to have missed a few pages there! sorry

This is mine - currently on sale in Argos...
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4229409/c_1/1|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|14418476/c_2/3|cat_15701302|Small+kitchen+appliances|14418587.htm?_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:4229409|cat:kitchen+%26+laundry+%3E+small+kitchen+appliances+%3E+steamers

Can't live without my actifry, egg slicer (also good for mushrooms and tomatoes!), and my left-handed paring knife that is 29 years old.
Oh, and also my garlic press

Just have to step in there girls.

Firstly, I got a steamer like that as a freebie off my catalogue! Hehe!

But seriously, steamed puds are as old as the hills. My mum used to do an absolutley delicous chocolate steamed sponge pud. with a choc sauce. real yummy. Or there's a variety of plain sponge puds that you just put a spoonful or so of jam or syrup in the bottom of the bowl before the mixture. And perhaps you've heard of "spotted dick" that's where you just add sultanas or currants to the mix.
As for the potato peeler bit - what's wrong with giving the potato a good scrub and cooking/steaming with the jacket on. It's very good for you.(Must eat the skin too!)
Sorry if I sound a bit preachy but as an oldy just had to add my bit!:D

totally agree emmeline, i often find the 'old' ways are just as easy as using gadgets,and usually less washing up afterwards. Having said that its up to everyone and there are things i couldnt do without !!

I love my steamer - currently on the go now with veg and rice for my curry!

Other kitchen equipment/gadgets I couldn't live without are my kettle, microwave, hand blender, toaster and toastie maker.

Ooh and my coffee maker - nothing like strong fresh coffee on a morning!

So, I have been reading the instruction manual with my new electric steamer and it's got recipes in there, including one which involved steaming chicken wrapped in foil and also cooking a whole chicken in the steamer. I would never have thought of that - has anyone tried it and if so, is it a good way to cook chicken?

i have a couple

my garlic peeler and plate which get used nearly every day. I use it for ginger stems, nutmeg basically anything that is rough. I also use it for lemon / lime rinds just pop them in the freezer for 15mins to harden the skin.

375804381_o.jpg

and my bullet whisk which is simular to a liquidizer but on a smaller scale

I just bought one of these I think it looks great thanks for the info. xxx :D

Back