Kitchen Gadgets?

My most recent "gadgets" are:

Potato chipper/fry maker - does thick-cut chips or thin fry-like chips

Potato ricer - yes you can use a masher, but the ricer allows mega-fine mash and you can also add laughing cow portions for cheesy mash too!

The masher is now used to mash veg in veg soup - saves on a blender - works for me as gives a more "course" cut of veggies.

Digital scales as mentioned are essential.

A good quality glass measuring jug (or two) clearly marked - you can add a few plastic ones as they are pennies at Asda

Not sure if the Tefal Actifry counts as a gadget - more of an indulgence really;)

Potato peeler! - never used one of these as always used a knife. Amazing how much potato I was wasting previously lol.

Freezer bags and containers. SW means bulk cooking and lots of freezing - again cheap as chips at Asda.

Griddle pan - for great steaks.

on my "next to buy" list are:

Magic bullet
single-egg frying pan (Lakeland)
a quality set of kitchen knives.

Oh maximus please don't bother with the bullet!!! I had one and it was good for drunken cocktails and that was it. They're rubbish quality and most of the attachments didn't do what they were supposed to anyway.

A hand blender, of food processor would be so much better.

I have the cheaper version of the bullet...the Hinari Genie and I think it's fab for the size and price! Sorry jennyonaplate :)

I bought it and got rid of my liquidiser and food processor - about 4 years ago pre-SW.

Although it is small it does the job and is handy for a bit of everything and because it's compact it fits nicely in my very small kitchen.

BUT when I want to blend a lot of soup or something it does take a lot of batches to get it all done. But I can't have it all can I?!

If you like pineapple I would DEFINITELY invest in a pineapple corer. I recently got one and how it has changed my life is amazing.

I know I sound really really really sad but I LOVE it! I used to rarely buy pineapple because I hated preparing it but with the corer it really is a doddle and now I use any excuse to buy a pineapple!

Mmmmmmmmmm

I couldnt be with out my hand stick blender ( £5 from ASDA) and my food processor. i also use my electric whisk a lot too for the cake recipes that need egg whites.
Measuring spoons and jugs and cups are all very useful and cheap too from like £land

Tk maxx is excellent for good quality things like saucepans, knives, cake tins, casserole dishes etc.

It's always really cheap too, and nobody cares if it's 'last seasons' or 'end of the line' stuff, because as far as I know there's not really fashion or trends for them anyway!!

My electric pressure cooker. Use it almost daily. A bit pricey (mine was about $89) but better than a slow cooker and faster too! One pot cooking. I put the lid and timer on and walk away! I have a Cuisinart brand. Amazing.

Oh maximus please don't bother with the bullet!!! I had one and it was good for drunken cocktails and that was it. They're rubbish quality and most of the attachments didn't do what they were supposed to anyway.

A hand blender, of food processor would be so much better.

I have the cheaper version of the bullet...the Hinari Genie and I think it's fab for the size and price! Sorry jennyonaplate :)

I bought it and got rid of my liquidiser and food processor - about 4 years ago pre-SW.

Although it is small it does the job and is handy for a bit of everything and because it's compact it fits nicely in my very small kitchen.

BUT when I want to blend a lot of soup or something it does take a lot of batches to get it all done. But I can't have it all can I?!

If you like pineapple I would DEFINITELY invest in a pineapple corer. I recently got one and how it has changed my life is amazing.

I know I sound really really really sad but I LOVE it! I used to rarely buy pineapple because I hated preparing it but with the corer it really is a doddle and now I use any excuse to buy a pineapple!

Mmmmmmmmmm

interesting views, but I have seen one in action and I do like it. Not sure which type you have Jenny, my friends use it and they took my advice and got the actifry.

I use neither a blender or a processor, so the bullet is a nice little gadget, and most of all takes up no space.

Good idea for a thread though

I think that's why I love it so much - because it's a really small and compact compared with a full size gadget.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

I need a new steamer, the timer has gone on mine.. won't tick and countdown anymore.. still works but I have to set a kitchen timer to tell me to go shut it off..
I might get the same one again as then I have 2 sets of baskets for it and spare parts should I need them..
must keep hold of my warantee this time though...

I've got a kenwood mini chopper (made famous by good old delia!)
I do a lot of batch cooking and it's fantastic when you don't want to chop up onions, carrots, garlic, celery etc for your bolognese!
Plus you can chop it as small as you want - great for my hubby who doesn't like chunky veg! It's about £20 and well worth it, easy to wash too.

I second good knives - I've got a sabattier set, cost about £80 but still going strong 7 years later!

Also couldn't live without non-stick pans - circulon are my fave. Just invested in a new small frying pan - only £16

Re. Stick blenders - don't go for the tesco value one. Thought I'd give it a go but it's rubbish!

Re. Stick blenders - don't go for the tesco value one. Thought I'd give it a go but it's rubbish!

I have had a Tesco value one, had it for years and was still going strong till i broke the plastic around the blade.
Now have a ASDA smartprice one. works fab

Hi, My favourite has to be my George foreman. We call him Georgie. I have the larger version with the griddle at the side that you can cook eggs on it as well. I couldnt be without it. Georgie even came on holiday with us.

Back