Krazi's Food Facts

KraziKayzi

Silver Member
I thought I would start a thread where I will feature a food and list some interesting facts, the benefits and the drawbacks to these foods and other bits of information that you may be interested in!
Well I hope you are interested in my Food Fact Thread and I hope to post each day on here!
I am not saying I am an expert of food, neither am I a dietition, I just enjoy reading up about food facts, so thought I would share my findings​

Apples

apples_grocery_store_antioxidants.jpg

Benefits
Good source of vitamic C, depending on the variety
Good sorce of bioflavonoids
High in Soluble fibre
May help in the treatment of constipation and diarrhoea

A fresh apple is the ideal, healthy snack. Some varieties are a good sorce of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and helps to maintain the immune system. Apples are also relitively low in calories and contain a high proportion of fructose, a simple sugar that is sweeter than sucrose (table sugar) and metabolised more slowly - helping to control blood sugar levels. Bioflavonoids in apples may protect against lung disease and be helpful to smokers.
In herbal medicine, ripe, uncooked apples have traditionally be used as a treatment for constipation, while the stewed fruit can be eaten for diarrhoea and gastroenteritis. Apples are also used in poultices for soothing skin inflammations.

Last edited:
I've heard that grated apple can stop diarrhoea.
Also an apple eaten 20 minutes before every meal makes you eat less!

Great idea for a thread xx

Beef

beef.jpg

Benefits
Contains a wide range of nutrients, including valuable minerals, particulary iron and zinc

Drawbacks
High intakes are linked to cancer of the colon
Too much beef fatcan contribute to heart disease

Current trends towards vergitarianism and the possible links between eating red meat and heart disease have lead to white meats gradually replacing beef as the major source of animal protein. Nevertheless, the nutritional benefits of beef should not be ignored. With the exception of fibre, beef contains most of the nutrients our bodies need, though some, such as calcium, vitamin C and folate, are present in only small amounts. Beef is also a valuable source of essential minerals such as iodine, manganese, zinc, selenium and chromium - though the quantities of these can vary substantially, depending on the soil which supported the animal's grazing or on the components of the manufactured feed it consumed.
Due to modern breeding techniques and popular demand, beef is much leaner then it used to be. Lean beef contains less than 5% fat, less then half of which is saturated fat, so the risk of beef raising cholestrerol levels have fallen. Nevertheless, there remains an apparent link between the incidence of cancer of the colon and peoples whose diets contain large amounts of red meat.

The Impact of Cooking

How beef is prepared and cooked will substainstially affect the nutrients that it contains. By simply trimming off excessive visible fat before cooking you can reduce the total fat in the finished dish.
Joints should be roasted, raised up on a rack or trivet, so that the fat drips into the pan.
Take care when barbecuing beef, too. Overcooking meat on the barbecue often chars or burns bits of the food, forming substances which have been shown to produce mutations in bacteria and may encourage the production of potential carcinogens (substance capable of causing cancer). This is particulary so in beef products with a high fat-to-meat ratio such as most sausages and burgers.

Last edited:
Pumpkin

pumpkin_in_patch.jpg

Benefits
Good source of beta carotene
Useful source of vitamin E

Widely used in Europe, the USA, Australia, Africa and the Caribbean, but less valued in Britain, pumpkin and other winter squash are a good source of beta carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A.

Pumpkins and the many varieties of winter squash, such as acorn and butternut, can play a particulary important role in a vegetarian diet where animal products are not availiable to provide vitamin A.
Beta carotene is also an antioxidant, helping to prevent free-radical damage that might lead to certain types of cancer. Another antioxidant found in useful amounts in pumpkins is vitamin E.

Pumpkins are easily digested and rarely cause allergies, which makes them a excellent weaning food. Their seeds should also be saved as they are an excellent source of iron and phosphorus, and are rich in potassium, magnesium and zinc.
In natural medicine, pumpkin seeds are perscribed as a treatment for intestinal worms, when they must be taken in conjunction with a purgative such as castor oil. They can also be used for prostate and urinary problems.

Back