Lamb stew with dumplings (watched on this morning)

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
Hiya ladies and gents, watched this recipe on This morning and thought it would make a delicious winter warmer dinner. I've changed a few things to make it SW friendly. Its quite low in syns but could be even lower if you use splenda instead of sugar and leave out the flour. I don't like splenda so I would cook it as is. Haven't tried it yet though, will do tomorrow night! :D

LAMB STEW AND DUMPLINGS
Serves 4
6 syns for the whole dish and 1.5 syns per serving

600g Lean lamb, all visible fat removed
1 rounded tbsp flour (4.5 syns)
1 tbsp tomato puree (0.5 syn)
2 tsp sugar (1 syn)
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 pint hot water

Dumplings
1 cup couscous
1.5 cups boiling water
2 eggs (separated)
4 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
1 heaped tsp baking powder

Brown the meat in fry light. Add the chopped onions, chopped carrots, tomato puree, flour and stir well. Add the stock cubes, fresh thyme, worcestershire sauce, sugar and water. Cover and cook in oven for 1.5 hours on 160C

To make the dumplings, soak the couscous in boiling water until thoroughly absorbed. Allow to cool then add the egg yolks, salt, baking powder and parsley. Whisk the egg whites to form peaks and fold into couscous.

After 1.5 hours, scoop spoonfuls of the couscous and arrange on the top of the stew leaving room for it to rise and spread.

Return to the oven and cook, uncovered, for a further 35 - 40 minutes. Serve with steamed veggies!

Wow great way to make healthy dumplings!!! What did they look like once cooked? Do they fluff up nicely?
I make lots of soups and stews and do miss having gorgeous suet dumplings so they are a brilliant alternative!

I haven't made this particular recipe before but I've made SW "dumplings" before, for soups and things and yes they do fluff up nicely! Especially when you stir in whisked egg whites.

Why would you need the sugar in this recipe? I can't think why a lamb stew would need sweetening.

I do like the sound of those dumplings - will definitely try them!

Back