Lamb - too fatty?

IMetThePieman

I slow-cooked some lamb today while I was at work and came home to a perfectly cooked leg of lamb. It fell off the bone and tasted delicious. As lamb is a bit fattier than other meats, is it a worse meat to eat?

I don't think so, because it is richer you tend to naturally eat less of it. If you cut off all visible fat it is fine.

I would suggest cooking it on some kind of stand to allow the grease to drip off.

Lamb is very very fatty, even when you cut all the visible fat off, but the fat will drip out through cooking.

I would suggest cooking it on some kind of stand to allow the grease to drip off.

Lamb is very very fatty, even when you cut all the visible fat off, but the fat will drip out through cooking.

Good idea. I cooked mine in the slow cooker, but obviously it just sat and cooked in the fat once it had seeped out. Does this add syns? (I lost 10lb in that week, so it can't have had too much of a detrimental effect!!)

Good idea. I cooked mine in the slow cooker, but obviously it just sat and cooked in the fat once it had seeped out. Does this add syns? (I lost 10lb in that week, so it can't have had too much of a detrimental effect!!)

When you have loads to lose you can cheat left right and centre and still get stonking losses. As your weight drops this reduces though. If you cut all visible fat off then that should be enough as far as plan is concerned, but if you hit a brick wall in your losses i would take more effort to fish out the fat. A good way of cooking in the slow cooker is to put the meat on top of something for the first couple of hours, like an upside down soup bowl. Remove what soaks there and then put all your veg etc in.. Most stuff falls off within the first few hours.

Back