Land of the free, home of the weight gain?

I'm halfway through my 3 month holiday in America, land of the free, home of the people who can find a way to put fat and sugar in lettuce. I'm loving it here but I can already see I’ve put on weight the people are so nice and the food is good.
Almost too good, I was so proud of how I looked before going on holiday, but now I’m here it's like I lost all motivation to keep it off.
I have a feeling that when I come back I will need help shedding my holiday baggage, but to make it easier, how do you keep the weight to stay off when you're on such a long holiday?
Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
Pleadingly,
Subtle.

Hi there Subtle,
it would have been better if you'd planned your 'slips' before you went. However The US of A is a brilliant place, so enjoy it. I drove across New York to L.A. and loved the food but there is a price to pay. We both know that you're going to sin but drink lots of water, cut down the carbs and remember portion size (not USA portions!). You are going to put on weight but prepare yourself (positively)for the return. Have a great time.

Robin L

It's all about portion size! Not only are you in the land of the free, you're also in the land of waste, so don't hesitate to chuck half a 'portion' in the bin. Depending on who you're with do lots of sharing. It's quite common (I haven't seen this here much) to ask for extra forks or spoons if you order dessert. And for god's sake, try not to order pasta in a restaurant (it can be 3x the size of a recommended portion!) Stay away from anything fried, or anything that could have been fried. They haven't gotten to the Mars bars yet, but they're not too far off.

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but you could try going vegetarian for a while. It seems there are always problems with portions sizes when it comes to meats, and this would just bypass it. Depending on where you are and how you travel, it might force you to eat more fresh foods. Just don't fall into the bread trap if you do this. (It also works as a great excuse for why you can't have the fried chicken, or that nasty looking dish you can't identify.)

When I travel I avoid public transport, so I'm walking a good couple of hours a day. Unless I have a suitcase behind me, I always take the stairs in my hotel. And unless it's an emergency, (like arriving in town late at night, nothing else open) I avoid fast food. It's the same in every country, so why would I want to have it instead of some local food?

Hope any of this helps!:)
Canada

Oh dear, good luck! My mum put on a stone when she went to America, and that was in 3 weeks! I've heard you can ask for doggy bags over there and not be thought of as a weirdo, so just eat a quarter of the meal and take the rest home, that way nobody will be offended. Ask for dressings on the side. Can you ask for child portions? Tell them you've got a gastric band and can't eat any more!

Ack, holidays can be a pain when it comes to the weight can't they.

I do think it's important to practice maintaining weight when you are on holiday. I think most people who have weight issues see it as a chance to go mad and eat everything in sight (after all...it is the holiday;)), but if you want to get off the dieting bandwagon forever, you need to learn how to maintain whether it's holidays, christmas, whatever.

This is the perfect for you to practice maintenance.

So...smaller portions. Learning how to stop before the meal is finished. Walk places if possible, and above all, see this as a positive challenge...a chance to learn about thinking thin, living like you would do if you were at goal weight IYKWIM.

True maintenance isn't about dieting, nor eating properly when it suits. Nor is it about denying yourself on special occassions. It's about learning to live slim whatever life throws at you.

very best of luck

I tend to ask for starter portions in the US(actually in the Uk too!), they don't bat an eyelid. Also if it's a main meal say no fries with that, just salad no dressing, it's really very acceptable. They are happy for you to order exactly what you want, they just want your order. Drinkwise they almost always serve ice cold water in a jug - stick with that and save some valuable cals! Most important of all - HAVE FUN!

I do think it's important to practice maintaining weight when you are on holiday. I think most people who have weight issues see it as a chance to go mad and eat everything in sight (after all...it is the holiday;)), but if you want to get off the dieting bandwagon forever, you need to learn how to maintain whether it's holidays, christmas, whatever.

So...smaller portions. Learning how to stop before the meal is finished. Walk places if possible, and above all, see this as a positive challenge...a chance to learn about thinking thin, living like you would do if you were at goal weight IYKWIM.

True maintenance isn't about dieting, nor eating properly when it suits. Nor is it about denying yourself on special occassions. It's about learning to live slim whatever life throws at you.

very best of luck

Going to print this off and keep it where I can read it regularly KD!!! Thank You :)

very best of luck

Exactly!!!

It's is eat as much as you like, not as much as you can remember.

And if you like being slim and healthy then why would you want to eat so much you feel bloated and put weight on?

KD is right, whether it is Xmas, holidays, good day, bad day, wednesday, pancake day or mothers day then being healthy and making sensible choices is key to long term slimness!

Mike

Thankyou so much to everuyone you really helped with all these tips,
and now I'm back (and back on the diet) There is a little damage, but overall, it's very slight nothing that can't be worked out in a week or two! I love this place.

Back