Laser eye treatment

Baby-belle

Gold Member
Hello all,

I was wandering if anyone has had this and if so how did they find it. And where did you have it done I'm considering it but so worried

Sure, I can understand that - I was quite nervous too. Happy to answer any questions you might have if that helps, I can only give my own personal experience of course but it might help? Not sure if you can PM me as not sure I have enough posts yet but happy to do it on here, as might help others too maybe.

I have had it done and it was the best decision I ever made and totally worth it. There are some things that can happen but I took a while to debate the pros and cons of it all. The only problem I had is that 6 months after I had to get a touch up on my righ eye as it has regressed again. However I was expecting that to happen because of my prescription. My fiance also got it done a couple of months after I did and he has had no problems what so ever.

Shimmies said:
I have had it done and it was the best decision I ever made and totally worth it. There are some things that can happen but I took a while to debate the pros and cons of it all. The only problem I had is that 6 months after I had to get a touch up on my righ eye as it has regressed again. However I was expecting that to happen because of my prescription. My fiance also got it done a couple of months after I did and he has had no problems what so ever.

Where did you both have it done?

elle_moon said:
Sure, I can understand that - I was quite nervous too. Happy to answer any questions you might have if that helps, I can only give my own personal experience of course but it might help? Not sure if you can PM me as not sure I have enough posts yet but happy to do it on here, as might help others too maybe.

Did it hurt?

Baby-belle said:
Did it hurt?

No didn't hurt at all. My eyes were pretty bloodshot for about a week after though, and I had to do a presentation to my Managing Director a couple of days after the treatment, so had to explain I'd had my eyes done!
It was a little strange having the consultant so close when he was doing it, as he's literally right in your face, but luckily for me he was a rather fit looking Greek surgeon which helped ;). They have to hold your eyes open of course, but that wasn't painful.
I'd thought about it carefully before doing it and the surgeon wouldn't have operated if he didn't think he could get a good result - I had one eye long sighted and the other short sighted before, and got headaches a lot, the prescription in both was therefore opposite (one a minus, and the other a plus) but neither were really heavy prescriptions. The surgeon said the lesser he prescription to start with the greater chance of a really good result. I think the pricing is higher for a higher prescription as well so mine was about £2.5k in total (NOBODY actually pays the £395 per eye that seems to be advertised on TV - thats why they say 'from' 395 LoL.

He advised me that with my prescription I probably wouldn't get total 20/20 vision as one of my eyes was 'lazy' from childhood and so my left eye will always want to do more work than the right, but it's near enough perfect to me, and I don't need to wear glasses.

I took my Mum with me so we could get a taxi back from the Optical Express clinic together and she could be with me for the afternoon until my hubby got back from work - as for the first few hours you have to put different eye drops in on the hour, and generally rest my eyes. After it was first done it was blurry for about 30 mins. But after that it cleared and started getting gradually clearer and clearer - by next morning my vision was excellent.

I had some night vision issues for the first couple of weeks (streetlights had halos around them) but that got better in time.

I had a holiday booked for 2 weeks after the treatment (booked before I'd booked in for my eyes) so I had to wear big sunglasses and a hat to shade my eyes as the surgeon advised I shouldn't have my eyes in direct hot sunshine (we went to Greece) that soon.

All in all,

Oops pressed send too soon....

Meant t say, all in all I'm really glad I had it done. I will go back for a check up soon to make sure my eyes haven't regressed at all (apparently that does happen sometimes)

elle_moon said:
Oops pressed send too soon....

Meant t say, all in all I'm really glad I had it done. I will go back for a check up soon to make sure my eyes haven't regressed at all (apparently that does happen sometimes)

My eyes are really bad but annoying they are the same in each eye I think I am -1.5 or 2.5 I can't remember but I know I have to wear contacts or glasses (which I forget regularly) as I can't see the tv properly or people's face so having it would be a great help! Thank you for your advice

Did it hurt?

We had our's done at Lasik-MD in St. John's, NL.

Regarding another post if it hurts, no you do not feel a thing because they apply drops that freeze the feeling in your eyes. Actually you don't even see the procedure as the apparatus they put on your eye causes you vision to go momentarily black. The only time you will ever see a blade is if you need to get retouched later down the road.

I had my eyes lasered (lasik) in December 2007 in Japan. (I was short sighted before).

I didn't actually pay for it but it was the best investment EVER!! I have not regretted this move and its been almost 5 years now since I wore specs/contacts and I still appreciate not having to wear them. It gives you a new sense of freedom. Also when I wore contacts I was more likely to get conjunctivitis when I had a cold or a stigh every 2 years but since I've had them lasered I have had no problems at all.

I'm the world most squeamish person when it comes to eye related things that it took me 3 years to be able to wear contacts when I was 15 to 18. It also took me a fair few years to even wear eyeliner or let a friend put mascara on me. (Actually still don't like people giving me a makeovers) yet I lived through the worst horrific nightmare of a surgery for me. The thing is its really quick. The worst bit is having people hold you down while they attach these things to your eyes to stop you blinking. Followed by a laser incision to cut a flap around the coating of the eye (no pain, the numbing eye drops have been inserted at this point). Then literally you stare in to a red/green light for 30 seconds each and that's it. Over.

I fully recommend laser eye surgery to anyone who is just plain short sighted with no other eye issues.

Whatever you do though.... Don't watch Final Destination 5 until after you've done it.

Back