Extra Easy Days Last chance saloon!

channeil

Hi, I'm starting SW again for the last time and I would love some help as my Dr has said if I don't lose the weight I need a gastric band op. I really don't want the op, but I can't seem to get back on track. Maybe it's because I have a lot of stress at the moment because of my mom's health.

This s a bit of background info,
My mom s diabetic and she's losing her eyesight and you'd think that would motivate me to lose weight as I'm heavier than her, but it seems I have lost the will to do anything.

Sorry for offloading, but I need some buddies who can help me achieve what I know I can because I lost over five stone a few yrs ago, so I know it works.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice and thank you to the people who are willing to take the time to help me. :)

Hi, I'm in the same boat, my husband and I have been going through the motions to get ready for gastric surgery but neither of us want to do that so SW is our last chance and we've done ok (started mid October).

this place is great for support and motivation, if you are feeling like you can't do it, take a look at some of the inspirational pictures of members that have done it, it works for me and spurs me on.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely have a look around at peoples stories. I think I was just having a down day and needed to vent out some problems, I've had a good sleep and feel so much more positive. Again thank you for your help.

Good luck with it. I too am in the same boat, the truth about me is that I am a serial excuse maker and tend to give up on things. I need a bit of self hard love, the amount of times I have looked in he mirror and called myself names, pulled up of going out as nothing fitted, for me weight loss has got to be easier than that.

Good luck with your weightloss journey. My mom is also diabetic and losing her sight and has had numerous treatments to try and halt it. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy so I know that I am at a higher risk of developing diabetes. My mom and a lot of my relatives developed diabetes when they were in their mid 30's. I have just turned 30 and it was like a lightbulb went off that I didn't want to end up with the same problems and even if I have a bad meal/day my motivation is so strong that I'm straight back on plan. I have found this forum to be really helpful for recipes and the inspiration photos are always good to look.

Thanks everyone for the support, but again I have majorly gone off track. I too keep making excuses and is in need of some hard love, but it seems like I'm destined to become diabetic because I seriously cannot keep on track. I don't know what it is because SW is the easiest plan I've ever followed and I know it inside out, but still I keep on failing even though yesterday my mom had laser treatment one her eyes and she's got to have it next week, then the week after it's injections in her eyes for the next however many months. I think the problem might be that even though me and my mom want to lose the weight, we sabotage each other and we don't know how to stop. Maybe we are destined to be fat forever, even though I know deep down that's not true, our motivation and willpower is hidden under our mounds of flab trying to get out and we shut it up with whatever we can get our hands on.

Sorry for making everyone depressed, it's just that I don't have anyone to whinge to as I'm my mom's full time carer as she has numerous health problems and cannot be left on her own to look after my 14 yr old sister or herself.

I feel like such a sap now lol, thanks for everyone's support and advice.
Again sorry for moaning.

First of all good luck with your journey.

This is my third time on slimming world so up till now I've lost weight but then lost motivation and its all gone down the drain. This time I'm trying to look at it differently. Instead of seeing it as a diet I see it as a way of life. I'm also not saying anything is off limits because it makes me want it more. So if I'm offered a chocolate bar I can weigh it up in my head. Well I could have the chocolate bar, however, is it really worth it? Is it worth that 4 seconds of chocolaty goodness rather than being slimmer and healthier? And the answer so far has generally come up as no. When you look at it as a chore it will become one.

The best advice is to remove temptation. Make some massive dishes of low or syn free foods and freeze some of it. Have low or syn free snacks to hand and that way when you just cant be bothered or are just peckish instead of reaching for the cookie jar you have something SW friendly there and waiting.

Thanks, you would've thought that I would've thought of that seeing as I've done SW before, but I think your right, I'm seeing SW as a diet and not a way of life. I think that I need to stop all the whinging and tackle it head on and start to look at all the benefits I had when I first started SW a few years ago, the only person holding me back is myself and seeing as I'm the one who does all the cooking/shopping in the house, that means that it's me who has to take back control from the food and not let it control me! I can't believe how nice everyone has been and I want to thank everyone who has given me the push I have sorely needed.

Tomorrow is a new day and the beginning of the rest of my slimmer, healthier and happy life! :D

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your mum.

I don't know if it'll help, but a friend of mine (she doesn't follow SW) has photographed everything she's eaten to help her keep on track - she said it really works so I'm going to try it out :)

Good luck x

That sounds like a really good idea, I think I might try that. It'll be good to see how much I'm eating because I don't think I really see what I eat, if you know what I mean. Hopefully the treatment my mom's receiving will help her.

I have tried and failed at many diets slimming world is the only one I've actually stuck at ..... When I was heavier I just did small bursts of light excercise and lost weight well
As someone said they need tough love ...."your only hurting yourself by making excuses" and I whole heartedly believe that I used to make so many excuses and reasons for cheating AND THERE ARE NONE... If I went off track at every holiday birthday works doo etc etc I would be a damn sight heavier than I am now ..... Also you can eat out and lose weight its easy on extra easy steak and jackets butterflied chicken with rice etc etc I'm a real foodie and love to cook I love the challenge of swapping recipes i make syn free gravy made with oxo water and blitzed up with mushrooms reduced down its so tasty and mash a raw egg into hot cooked potato to make creamy mash its all about changing the way you cook and reducing your portions and bulking back up with veg xxxx hope I've given you some ideas and motivation to help you stay on track ....you can do this ..... A band or bypass is not the road you want to be taking..... Firstly the op won't help you deal with food and eating issues and you will NEVER be able to eat normally again ....I know this because my friends mum has had a bypass xxxx

Yeah, that's what scares me the most! I've been feeling sorry for myself and thought a couple of days ago that it would be the easiest option, till I did some proper research on it and found out alot of info. I sat up last night and did a list of all the pros and cons for the bypass and SW and shocked myself at how many pros there was for SW, I really can't believe how many cons the bypass had. It has really spurred on and made me think, like I said before I know SW works because I did it before and lost just over 5 stone in just under 6 months, so I know that I can do it again. I think I was just making excuses because I am worried about my mom's eyesight and when something bad happens I always feel sorry for myself and turn to food (always the naughty things). I can tell you right now I want to be able to eat normally, so the bypass is out the window and I don't want to die which is what the Dr said if I don't have the bypass, I think I should prove him and everyone else wrong by sticking to SW and losing the weight in a healthy way.

Thanks everyone for giving me such brilliant advice and helping me stop feeling sorry for myself and for looking at all the positives for sticking to SW. This group truly is so warmhearted, friendly and so supportive, I don't think I would have made a fresh start on life if it wasn't for you guys :) I really do appreciate everything people have said to help keep me sane and on track.

Yeah, that's what scares me the most! I've been feeling sorry for myself and thought a couple of days ago that it would be the easiest option, till I did some proper research on it and found out alot of info. I sat up last night and did a list of all the pros and cons for the bypass and SW and shocked myself at how many pros there was for SW, I really can't believe how many cons the bypass had. It has really spurred on and made me think, like I said before I know SW works because I did it before and lost just over 5 stone in just under 6 months, so I know that I can do it again. I think I was just making excuses because I am worried about my mom's eyesight and when something bad happens I always feel sorry for myself and turn to food (always the naughty things). I can tell you right now I want to be able to eat normally, so the bypass is out the window and I don't want to die which is what the Dr said if I don't have the bypass, I think I should prove him and everyone else wrong by sticking to SW and losing the weight in a healthy way.

Thanks everyone for giving me such brilliant advice and helping me stop feeling sorry for myself and for looking at all the positives for sticking to SW. This group truly is so warmhearted, friendly and so supportive, I don't think I would have made a fresh start on life if it wasn't for you guys :) I really do appreciate everything people have said to help keep me sane and on track.

Hi, I've read this post with real interest. As with many (or most) people on this forum this is not my first visit. Having kept 2 stone if for nearly 2 yrs I had a bout of depression and put 1st 10lbs back on in 3 months.

I note your comments on the sabotaging relationship you have with your Mum and how you feel the stress affects your eating habits. Has your GP offered any counselling or CBT? A gastric band as you have discovered solves some health issues but brings others - and it won't solve your relationship with food or how you and your mum interact.

If your GP isn't happy to help there are often low cost counsellors and worth asking your GP or contacting your local mental health service. Or even google!

Just a suggesting for another route of support and help- I have found it invaluable.

Good luck!

Hi (waving) sorry to hear about all your problems. You hit the nail on the head though when you said to look at it not so much a diet as a complete way of life. My story is that I got to target last year in November having lost 2.5stone. No one and I mean no one liked cake and puds more than me! Since I had been on S W I have completely changed not only my diet but my craving for fatty and sugary foods. I have been at target now for over 12 months and this is my way of life. I go shopping and automatically pick up fresh fruit, veg, low fat yoghurts, lean meat and fish and loads of chicken. And I have porridge made with water and just a little dash of skimmed milk. I snack on fruit all the time, but with S W yes you can have that glass of wine, or the odd choc bar so long as its limited. A litttle of what you fancy and all that. I wish you every success you will do this, you have the support of everyone on here. You will do this :)

Hi (waving) sorry to hear about all your problems. You hit the nail on the head though when you said to look at it not so much a diet as a complete way of life. My story is that I got to target last year in November having lost 2.5stone. No one and I mean no one liked cake and puds more than me! Since I had been on S W I have completely changed not only my diet but my craving for fatty and sugary foods. I have been at target now for over 12 months and this is my way of life. I go shopping and automatically pick up fresh fruit, veg, low fat yoghurts, lean meat and fish and loads of chicken. And I have porridge made with water and just a little dash of skimmed milk. I snack on fruit all the time, but with S W yes you can have that glass of wine, or the odd choc bar so long as its limited. A litttle of what you fancy and all that. I wish you every success you will do this, you have the support of everyone on here. You will do this :)

Well said! x

I do think counseling will work and I already have an appointment with the Dr for next week. I am feeling a bit more positive and even took the little sister to German Market and I didn't even feel tempted to go off track and eat the food there, so I'm hoping things are changing for the better. I'm just going to take at one day at a time and see how it goes.

Thanks I feel so much better, my Dr appointment is to day and I've done some shopping so I can start and cook some low syn/free meals in bulk for the freezer and lots of fruit and veg to fill up on. :)

Back