Last weigh in at group tomorrow

Clearly, there's some depth of feeling here for and against. I would like to stress the purpose of the thread hasn't been to generalise and say groups are rubbish it was for me to say that personally, I haven't found what I was looking for at my group but I've found it on this site and by utilising it, I feel I can go it alone. Clearly there are lots of excellent groups, which members are very happy with and for them that's great.

I've been to many, many different SW groups in my time and every single one of them has been incredibly boring, following the same old format of clapping, "Ooh, Deidre, how have you done this week?" "I drank a bucket of lager last night and put on a stone" "I'm not eating enough, that's why I've only lost 5lb in 6 months" "Have you tried the scan bran challenge?" etc etc I sometimes want to stick pins in my eyes, it's so tedious. However, if I didn't go to the group, then I wouldn't be able to motivate myself. At least when I reach target, I can be bored rigid for free.

I think there will always be for and against, some groups will be great, some less so, and it will depend on a number of factors. When I decided to restart SW recently I have decided on the do at home way too! My old group didn't finish until 9pm and then putting way etc....may change my mind and go back sometime, but at the mo there is so much on info and support on here it's great and free!

I've been to many, many different SW groups in my time and every single one of them has been incredibly boring, following the same old format of clapping, "Ooh, Deidre, how have you done this week?" "I drank a bucket of lager last night and put on a stone" "I'm not eating enough, that's why I've only lost 5lb in 6 months" "Have you tried the scan bran challenge?" etc etc I sometimes want to stick pins in my eyes, it's so tedious. However, if I didn't go to the group, then I wouldn't be able to motivate myself. At least when I reach target, I can be bored rigid for free.

Oh how this made me laugh! I quit my last group because the clapping and wittering was ENDLESS, and the group started at 6pm, so all I really wanted was to be at home eating dinner! And the group was quite a small one, so there was no real need.

My current group is 3 times the size, but everyone seems to have an understanding that they need to keep things short and sweet, but if someone really needs help, then it is certainly given. Our consultant is amazing, so she makes it all worthwhile with her energy and enthusiasm.

I hope that 'going it alone' works for you, but really if you are here still, you don't have to go it alone at all! xx

I must admit I do get good tips at group and I enjoy listening to others recipe ideas and finding out what they did to do so well.

... What really irritates me is when I've been good and not lost and someone sits there telling me how utterly crap they've been and they've lost. I find this counterproductive and think consultants need to sort this out! X

My consultant has stopped people making lists of what they've eaten wrong if they've lost weight as its not fair on others who have gained or maintained and don't know why.

Peter Kay sketch spring to mind, anyone?!!! x

Kind of know where you are coming from.... i only joined 3 weeks ago..
so far ...we have the long term usual rep retire.. a stand in rep (who came across quite obnoxious with some people).. and i shall see what tonight brings at weigh in....
It's made it difficult to ask any questions... gain advice.....though i have so far managed to lose weight....

Know what you mean I rejoined 5 weeks ago quite a new class with not many in it 10 at the most. I joined with a couple of friends we all loved it nice small friendly group. Now 5 weeks later her group has about 40 in it if this carries on it'll be packed by christmas ! must admit last week did get bored & to be honest it is the same week after week . I think it would be better to do adwards sow etc then the consultant gives a talk whats new different advice. My consultant is very good been with her for years on and off guess thats why she's popular. One thing makes me laugh though she sends me txt messages every week saying she has lots to tell us in group & how to get us motivated but she never does & it's the same every week does make me smile. I like going to see my friends & helps when someone else weighs me but I'm thinking about staying every other week as it dose take ages think I'd rather be out in sun when it arrives ! x

Its definitely up to each individual. Some need to go to group to stay motivated (i did at the start of my sw journey). Others can do it successfully at home.

I went to group for a good while before I figured out it just wasnt for me. It lasted almost two hours and I felt I just wasn't getting anything out of it. I was fed up and starving by the time we were finished. The consultant was lovely and there was a lot of people who loved and needed her group.

I bought all the books, buy the magazine and use this site for receipes and inspiration. It was EUR36 a month for group so I now use that money for my monthly gym membership. Its what works for me :)

So how was your first week on your own?

So how was your first week on your own?

Well I emailed my consultant to let her know I wasn't coming back. I thought this was the fair thing to do rather than just not turn up. I did say if I fail on my own I will be back at her door :eek:, which she was fine about.

I have stuck to plan and still continue to write everything down and feel getting it all on paper is the way to go. I didn't want to weigh myself this morning, as I usually get weighed around teatime, so I'll try my scales at home and let you all know later :) (They don't weigh half pounds though so will be rounding up from now on unless I buy new scales).

I couldn't wait anymore, the suspense was killing me, so this week's official weigh in is 4.5 off, I am so chuffed to bits with that as it means I am now past the one stone mark! :woohoo:

Yay! That's fab, well done. I did similar with my consultant too, at the end of the day they will welcome you back anytime won't they. Here's to another good week xx

Our consultant had to leave due to a family problem and we went through a lot of temporary consultants, some good, some bad.Our old consultant used to weigh-in before time for people who wanted to go home for tea etc but the area manager caught her and she was told to toe the line, also she didn't like the chair layout, this caused a lot of resentment from the members who enjoyed the way the group was run.
Our new consultant is stricter, only starting weigh-in at 7-00pm, the chair layout has been changed and all rules followed, this caused several members to leave to try other groups, I can't see the problem with being weighed-in at a different times as it stops the queue problem.
Slowly the group is increasing with new members and the regulars are now used to it, we split into 2 teams and we fight to win the "cup" each week with the most points for weigh loss, target members & new members on their team!
We have visits from the local butcher with his SW friendly meats, demonstrations, taster nights + all the usual activities.
Chats, help, recipes & great prizes for the raffle, good bags for SOTW and SOTM. I have gone every week since I started 107 weeks ago!
Pete

Our new consultant is stricter, only starting weigh-in at 7-00pm, the chair layout has been changed and all rules followed, this caused several members to leave to try other groups, I can't see the problem with being weighed-in at a different times as it stops the queue problem.
Pete

There are very good reasons why we weigh in at strict times. Believe it or not, the queue isn't a problem. The queue creates atmosphere, chat, the buzz a good group wants.
Weighing in early so people can go home goes against what SW want. We can't run a group without people staying, we want everyone to stay.

Funny how groups are run so differently. You are supposed to be able to go to any group anywhere, and they should all be run to the same format.

Our last visit by "Bob the butcher" plus "food testing!"
20130411_183100 (Small).jpg20130411_183117 (Small).jpg

Weird that your new consultant is there to toe the line yet slimming world don't endorse any butcher as being syn free or as a slimming world butcher :/

Our consultant is amazing, you can go if you need to but lots stay. She practically stalks you by text! Her classes are hilarious and when I moved I tried a different group but had to go back to her.

See, I love my group. My consultant runs 4 groups through the day and we find a lot of people stay at the time I go. We always have weigh in from 5.15 til about 6, then 6-7 we do image therapy. I only started going to the evening group as I was on a 12 week college course. I had every intention of going to the mid-morning group when I finished a couple of weeks ago, but I've got loads of friends at the later group and would miss them! I couldn't go for 2 weeks and when I came back people were saying, "Oh, glad you're back Vicki, you've been missed!" which made me feel really good. I like that I can get there right at the start of weigh-in time, then sit chatting to my friends for a bit before we get down to business.

For me, I need the support of a group, I'd never have got to the point I have on my own (and believe me, I've tried!). I totally get that some people don't enjoy the group experience though, and I'm glad you're continuing to do well on your own :)

Back