Lean mince???

jodidi

Silver Member
I have some lean mince, I think its less than 20% fat. My SWC said if I cook it and drain off the fat it would be free on original. What do you think?

Yeah of course and on EE if you do that. I quite often have lean mince free either as cottage pie, make burgers or Spaghetti bolognaise.

All meat is free on original and EE so long as all fat is removed....pork chops, steak, bacon etc. With chicken and turkey you have to remove the skin as that is the most fattening on poultry.

I had this discussion with my consultant about how in my food optimising book it says it has to be extra lean and that lean mince has syns. She said the syn value would be so low that it shouldn't make any difference. It hasn't to me so I wouldn't worry too much. i've even used full fat mince before and just boiled it and drained the fat off.

Same here... extra lean is har to find, and very expensive, so I usually cook it off, then leave it in a sieve for 5 mins while I cook my onion to drain off, then use it as normal.

It hasn't affected my losses yet!

When it comes to mince I can only ever find normal and lean anyway, I don't think I've ever seen extra lean.
I wish more places would do pork mince. I have to go into Lincoln to find that and as for lean pork mince....forget it.:rolleyes:

Really? I agree it's a bit more pricey but since the weight is all meat, and no fat, I think it's worth it. I don't have any trouble getting extra lean mince (we have the choice of Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons).

Extra lean pork is a little more tricky to find, but I can get it in Sainsbury's (BGTY green label) and Tesco (Healthy Living range) without any problem at all...

At least you can freeze these things so maybe a trip to a big supermarket is in order?

Really? I agree it's a bit more pricey but since the weight is all meat, and no fat, I think it's worth it. I don't have any trouble getting extra lean mince (we have the choice of Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons).

Extra lean pork is a little more tricky to find, but I can get it in Sainsbury's (BGTY green label) and Tesco (Healthy Living range) without any problem at all...

At least you can freeze these things so maybe a trip to a big supermarket is in order?

Every now and then I do a trip to the larger supermarkets, it's annoying that my local ones don't do it though. I like pork mince to make Pork and apple burgers with.

I use ordinary mince and fry it off and then push it really hard against a fine sieve so it almost ends up dry and you a can full of fat. I actually don't like mince that hasn't had the fat removed now. We don't buy extra lean as its quite expensive but if you drain the fat off you'll be ok.

I've never tried pok mince though so will give that a go

extra lean is very difficult to find in places like morrisons etc, but garenteed bigger tesco places always have it as thier 'healthy living' range includes extra lean, and all thier other meats have the fat cut off too!! .. i always use extra lean.. i dont think lean has loads of syns, but isnt free.. x

- Also, for those who make burgers and meatballs etc.. extra lean steak sticks together better!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks everyone. I've been considering doing some red days for a while but was worried it would effect my losses so I was a bit concerned about the mince. Thinking about it I'm sure it says on the syns on line that if you remove all visible fat, meat etc would be free on a red day.

Here's what I do, put mince in pan, pour enough water on to cover, bring to the boil for about 5 mins. Empty into sieve and reserve water. Leave to cool and then when the fat solidifies you can put the meat back in pan and run the water through the sieve and the fat stays behind. That way you still get the meat juices, only suitable for bolgonese or chilli of course. Wouldn't recommend for burgers.

I've always used lean mince, infact it used to be free & I didn't realise until recently it had changed!!

Did try the extra lean once though & I still ad to drain it, so I thought it was a bit of a con.....so wouldn't bother with it again!!

How would I get rid of the fat if I'm making meatballs or burgers?

Back