Leaving for awhile to support husband's diet

Seraphine

Hi all

I'm going away for awhile - my husband is starting his weight loss journey, and has settled on Slimming World. As an act of support and solidarity, I'm going to join him for a bit and see how things go. He's lost weight on Atkins before, but he LOVES fruit and has such a hard time being away from it (whereas, I'm not bothered about fruit in the slightest and don't miss it at all). He has a long way to go, while I'm at about my half-way point.

I know it means venturing away from certain principles of a low-carb diet, but I'll be trying to take some Atkins ideas with me (focus on protein and veg... less of everything else). Cooking and eating the same things will help us as a family - it's hard when everyone eats something different.

THANK YOU for all your support, and I'll certainly be back if things go badly over in SW-land. Take care, and good luck on your journeys! :wave_cry:

Good luck Seraphine and I hope your hubby and you do well.

good luck hun, you can still pop in here if you want xxx

Don't worry Jim - I'm still here, with no intentions of going low-fat again!

I can't get over how much better I feel these days. I'm eating low-carb, lots of meat, green veg, eggs... using lots of olive oil, and real cheese. I'm losing weight, inches, and just feeling good. I'm not obsessing over every blessed calorie, and I'm not hungry. If I want to pig out, there's lots of things for me to eat that I enjoy as much as carbs.

I read about the Dukan Diet last month, and I understand it's primarily protein and water. Okay, that might work, but think about this: how long can you live on it? Do you really think lean meat will be palatable without using oil or butter to cook it? Dry eggs? No sauces? I can only think of boring old chicken breasts and pork loin chops with the fat trimmed off... yuck. If I wanted to eat like that again, I'd go back to Weight Watchers, et al, and at least then I could have salad with it.

:hide: :ignore:

Ha ha ha...

I hardly would compare SW with Dukan! The idea of eating lots of meat only, with no fat to cook it in, yuck. That's not what I'll be doing.

I will cut my fat intake down for a while (no more huge slices of belly pork... I was eating too much of that!) but will be quite happy to keep my olive oil in my diet! But I'm trying to avoid all that bread, and not start any chocolate binges. Atkins is great in helping me keep my blood sugar in check and my appetites for "naughty" things down... now, let's see if I can up the ante a little. Let's see if a wheetabix once and a while is going to send me down the road to Sugar Hell!

I'll still be eating "lots of meat, green veg, eggs" (all of which are unlimited on SW), but I will try to vary my diet a bit more than I have been. My portion control with Atkins isn't great - I tend to pig out more than I should, and I know I don't eat enough vegetables. I had a several-pounds loss a few weeks ago that got me down to 178, but I've been hovering around that mark and 180, and the inches are staying the same. I needed a bit of tweaking in any case.

In ten days, I'll be travelling to my very LC-unfriendly parents' house, and will be there for two weeks. So for the next month, I'm just going to try eating lots of whole foods (as little of "frankenfood" as possible!) and watch my portions.

My husband and I love to cook together, and already he's trying to hard to get on top of this. We've dieted before together, and when we do it together, it's a success. We did WW in 1999, and Atkins in 2002. Over the past few years of a crazy travel schedule for his work, and my two pregnancies and a serious illness, our weights have gotten out of control. He's seen how much better I feel doing Atkins again, but he's so much more limited than me with the travel issue, and like I said, can't give up fruit. But doing it together will make it much more fun!

I'm okay about giving SW a fair shot for marital harmony, but am happy to come back to Atkins if I find it either doesn't work or I don't feel good. I still see this as different than leaving because I think the next new thing I've read about in Heat Magazine is going to work better or faster. SW might not work for me (it has for many of my friends), but I am certainly happy to try it out.

I don't think I'm a traitor, despite popular opinion. ;) I'm just trying to fit my needs and the needs of my family together.

Jim - I still think you're fabulous, and a great role model for the board!

LOL, fabulous. LMAO. Thanks Seraphine.

Back