Lent Challenge. What are people giving up?

Arctic-BNG

Talks to self!
Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Day.

Pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foodstuffs such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. The liturgical fasting emphasized eating plainer food and refraining from food that would give pleasure: In many cultures, this means no meat, dairy, or eggs.

So, back to the question, what are you giving up for Lent?

Me? I'm going with chocolate and alcohol?

The alcohol maybe trickier than the chocolate! :eek:

Anyone who wants to do a non scale challenge!

Challenge will start on Wed 22nd Feb through to Thur 5th April, which I make 43 days! :eek:

Arctic_bng - chocolate & alcohol - 43 days to go

I'm thinking of giving up my visits to the food van at work, I'd like to say alcohol to but it won't happen! Lol x

Oh dear God dare I say this... wine! :cry: My hiccup at the weekend has definitely spurred me to give up the red stuff for a while. :break_diet:

Here goes!!!

Slinkydawg - chocolate - 43 days to go
Rorah - wine - 43 days to go

I gave up chocolate last year think this year I'll give up crisp! Think I'll have to add biscuits to this as well!

Last edited:
A couple of years ago (yup, been here that long!) we were having the whole 'giving up' discussion. Many of the people who had only just started on SW felt that they had already made enough 'sacrifices' by doing SW!! (Not that they couldn't have chocolate and alcohol within syns - just that they were only getting used to having to alter the amount that they were eating!!)

For those of us that had been here a bit longer, a suggested alternative was for us to be '100% for Lent'. That means NO TWEAKS!!!! Measuring EVERYTHING that needs to be measured. Checking syns BEFORE eating. Making sure that you know the correct syns and measurements with no 'guesstimating'. Having the correct number of syns per day or keeping a proper written tally if having weekly syns (and not doing the 'I'll remember that' and yet conveniently forgetting thing!!).

Other alternatives (for those of us who couldn't stick to plan without the added incentives of chocolate and alcohol) include having Effort Weeks. For example, Week one - make the effort to drink 2 litres of water per day. Week two - make the effort to have a different HEX B per day. Week three - make the effort to achieve the next Body Magic sticker. Week four - make the effort to try a 'new' recipe every day etc.

Oooh, I think I'll do '100% for Lent'. That'll be much harder for me than giving up 1 thing in particular. 43 days strictly on plan... Well, 45 as I'm starting today! Eek, here I go...!! Does that go on this thread or is there one already? Xx

Ill join in and give up wine, not alcohol, just wine. I had 2 bottles this week, ok it was my birthday but it doesnt help using all my syns on it. I never drink anything else at home other than wine but the odd occasion i get out, I drink vodka and im out next weekend, the first time since November, so hence just wine not alcohol.
I actually think this is going to be really hard as i love relaxing with a glass or 2 on a night, but it does encourage me to nibble at the same time, ( slap hand ) bad Vanessa lol
Good luck everybody

I'm really tempted to say I'll give up smoking... but... I'm afraid I'll reach for the snacks then! Argh! I DO want to give up though. This needs some thinking about... I'll get back to you!!

Ok I've thought about this one long and hard and I have gone with giving up bread and crisps!!!! I eat far too much of both

Can you update me please as I'm on my phone xxx

Forgot to add name to list, here goes

Slinkydawg - chocolate - 43 days to go
Rorah - wine - 43 days to go
Vanessal - wine 43 days to go

I need to think about this. I should be giving up vodka but it's what keeps me on plan, it's my blow out on a Monday.

Off to think. Lol.

Can I give up washing up instead?

I will try to give up chocolate, I don't have it often, but when I do I binge. Could someone add me please, as I am on my phone? Thanks

Hmmm, in previous years I have given up chocolate, biscuits, crisps, bacon (yes I'm obssessed) and meat. I dunno what to give up this year though as I have found that I'm naturally not eating much chocolate and no crisps or biscuits for AGES, maybe meat again although the other half does a lot of cooking on the weekend so that may be difficult. Alcohol is an option but with the 6 Nations I think it's too big an ask and, again, is only a once a week thing anyway.

Would like to give the 'no tweaks' thing a go but how does that work if you're guestimating syns on food that has no nutritional info? Does an educated guess equal a tweak?
I dunno, will have to have a think tonight and let you know tomorrow.

I am off on holiday for 2 weeks to Portugal in the middle so dont really wanna give anything up 100% haha. I may do one for 2 litres of water or 5 portions of fruit/veg a day or something?
May help keep me on track a bit on hols!
Decisions!

After careful consideration I have decided to give up caffeine! It's gonna be a tough one but I'm sure after a few hard days I will feel the benefit of it. :gulp:

I'm in! I want to give up "snacks" that aren't a HexB or fruit n veg. So that means no velvet crunch (Like the 2 packs I had today!) or random little jellies or sticks of mikados *drool*

In theory I should be satisfied on 3 meals a day and have both HexA and HexB either incorporated or together to form a meal (eg cheese HexA toasted sandwich - bread HexB). I will limit any fruit to again incorporating into meals.

Sometimes I snack through boredom, sometimes I "think" I'm hungry, other times I just really want a pudding and use syns because I they have been low but really - it's all just additional food that isn't required!

So yes, I'm in :) 43 days of no snacking!

Back