Lipotrim & Food Addiction

JoanieK

Silver Member
So While on this diet we have a lot of time to think and what becomes apparent to me is this is similar to say an alcohol addiction (now before I get attacked I have family experience and know there are a lot of differences). However to me the thing about food is we couldn't give it up so had to fight our demons without having the tools.

On LT we are removing the 'drug' and evolving emotionally, but like an alcoholic this is on day at a time every day for the rest of our lives. An alcoholic is always an alcoholic- and they are counselled to accept that just one drink and the alcoholic may be back. In a similar way when we do lose we all need to understand that inside our skinny bodies there will always be a fat person ready to escape. We can't avoid food, but we need to learn to take control and take responsibility for every day what we do and accept that this may be a lifelong battle to keep the fat alter-ego inside. Unlike our naturally skinny friends we can't go of the rails and think the track will be easy to get back on, just like someone with a drink dependency sees their friends in a bar able to drink on a whim and stop when they want.

Now I apologise if I offend anyone with this but it's the closest analogy to me of what we are doing. For anyone starting this this is not just a few weeks that you have to tolerate shakes for but a journey to discover what our triggers are and why we got to the place we did. No more hiding behind things as there is no point in lying to ourselves. Each day you can take a learning and you can find victories in every step you take.

Eventually we will all go back to eating food again, we need to take the most out of this journey mentally to prepare us for the next step of the program. These forums are a godsend- but use them right.

If I can give new people a tip is join in on conversations rather than just posting about yourself on other peoples- that way you build relationships and you will find the support you need. Starting a diary is an excellent way to build a support network, we all need encouragement from time to time.

Remember 'One day at a time' take this step by step and you can and will succeed!

So While on this diet we have a lot of time to think and what becomes apparent to me is this is similar to say an alcohol addiction (now before I get attacked I have family experience and know there are a lot of differences). However to me the thing about food is we couldn't give it up so had to fight our demons without having the tools.

On LT we are removing the 'drug' and evolving emotionally, but like an alcoholic this is on day at a time every day for the rest of our lives. An alcoholic is always an alcoholic- and they are counselled to accept that just one drink and the alcoholic may be back. In a similar way when we do lose we all need to understand that inside our skinny bodies there will always be a fat person ready to escape. We can't avoid food, but we need to learn to take control and take responsibility for every day what we do and accept that this may be a lifelong battle to keep the fat alter-ego inside. Unlike our naturally skinny friends we can't go of the rails and think the track will be easy to get back on, just like someone with a drink dependency sees their friends in a bar able to drink on a whim and stop when they want.

Now I apologise if I offend anyone with this but it's the closest analogy to me of what we are doing. For anyone starting this this is not just a few weeks that you have to tolerate shakes for but a journey to discover what our triggers are and why we got to the place we did. No more hiding behind things as there is no point in lying to ourselves. Each day you can take a learning and you can find victories in every step you take.

Eventually we will all go back to eating food again, we need to take the most out of this journey mentally to prepare us for the next step of the program. These forums are a godsend- but use them right.

If I can give new people a tip is join in on conversations rather than just posting about yourself on other peoples- that way you build relationships and you will find the support you need. Starting a diary is an excellent way to build a support network, we all need encouragement from time to time.

Remember 'One day at a time' take this step by step and you can and will succeed!

I totally agree with this.... I don't think doing the shakes and looking forward to "normal" food is healthy.. But lipotrim gives an unique opportunity to rethink the way you view food and realise we have triggers and how to cope with those triggers once the safety net of shakes is gone.. It's a change for life

Last edited:
Great post Joanie.

The tip for newbies is one point I like - i wish more of them would stick around though. I follow a few diaries outside of the LT forum, some that had a personal likeness to my own journey, one I stopped posting in as they never asked a single thing about me or how I was doing, which would have been nice given I have lots of support and advice.

But i agree with what you say, LT is the perfect opportunity to take the control we apply on it and implement that into our lives after LT. I know it's easy to fall back into old habits but it's silly given anyone who completes a LT journey learns that they can control everything and have the will to succeed.

Great post Joanie.

The tip for newbies is one point I like - i wish more of them would stick around though. I follow a few diaries outside of the LT forum, some that had a personal likeness to my own journey, one I stopped posting in as they never asked a single thing about me or how I was doing, which would have been nice given I have lots of support and advice.

But i agree with what you say, LT is the perfect opportunity to take the control we apply on it and implement that into our lives after LT. I know it's easy to fall back into old habits but it's silly given anyone who completes a LT journey learns that they can control everything and have the will to succeed.

Yeah I don't know if it's because it's a forum but people seem to forget that conversational norms are the same. They best way to build a rapport is to build on conversation- like you don't go up to someone in reality in the middle of a conversation and just say Hi my name is and I do this please drop what you were discussing and give me all your attention? It takes a little time to learn peoples stories and build on it. If I did Hi-jack I would ask if people minded at the start. Maybe it's because the medium is impersonal?

I think the thing is on falling back into habits we forget and think we can live like other skinny people- people understand you watching what you eat when you are overweight and need to lose but they don't when you are healthy weight. To me as I say it's like the alcoholic who thinks after years they can do just one and over time they are off the wagon...

Yeah I don't know if it's because it's a forum but people seem to forget that conversational norms are the same. They best way to build a rapport is to build on conversation- like you don't go up to someone in reality in the middle of a conversation and just say Hi my name is and I do this please drop what you were discussing and give me all your attention? It takes a little time to learn peoples stories and build on it. If I did Hi-jack I would ask if people minded at the start. Maybe it's because the medium is impersonal?

I think the thing is on falling back into habits we forget and think we can live like other skinny people- people understand you watching what you eat when you are overweight and need to lose but they don't when you are healthy weight. To me as I say it's like the alcoholic who thinks after years they can do just one and over time they are off the wagon...

Ha there has been a few that have done that. I like it when people start diaries as that can be all about them then, it's a place to just rant etc. I wish more people did stay though, there is barely any regulars. Maybe it's me, you and curve scaring them off? Lol.

Yeah and I guess when at a goal weight there is that mentality of oh one more won't hurt, or one bad day or week is easily fixable .. I can get a few lbs off in no time. It's that tomorrow thing isn't it but then tomorrow never comes and the bad week has become a bad year and there is stones to lose not lbs. I've been guilty of that the last 10 years. I got big, I dropped a few stone, I put even more back on .. Rinse and repeat. I guess a overweight person losing weight will always be a formally overweight person, like an alcoholic who quits drinking is always a recovering alcoholic. They'll always have to be to stop them becoming their former selves.

Ha there has been a few that have done that. I like it when people start diaries as that can be all about them then, it's a place to just rant etc. I wish more people did stay though, there is barely any regulars. Maybe it's me, you and curve scaring them off? Lol.

Yeah and I guess when at a goal weight there is that mentality of oh one more won't hurt, or one bad day or week is easily fixable .. I can get a few lbs off in no time. It's that tomorrow thing isn't it but then tomorrow never comes and the bad week has become a bad year and there is stones to lose not lbs. I've been guilty of that the last 10 years. I got big, I dropped a few stone, I put even more back on .. Rinse and repeat. I guess a overweight person losing weight will always be a formally overweight person, like an alcoholic who quits drinking is always a recovering alcoholic. They'll always have to be to stop them becoming their former selves.

Yeah I think that's how I see it- I have to remember that we're not cured by any means and we need to stay in control.

Hmm now I think about it we could scare people away... opps

Yeah I think that's how I see it- I have to remember that we're not cured by any means and we need to stay in control.

We are not scary.... Although I have been called weird...

Once again curve flies her freak flag ooh rah

yeah that's what I mean, we'll never be fully cured either I don't think.

We are not scary.... Although I have been called weird...

Once again curve flies her freak flag ooh rah

haha you brighten my day.

Get ya freak on!

Back