London to Brighton Bike Ride - BHF

Lumps

Hi All, I have just had a moment of madness and signed up to join a team at work to do the London to Brighton Cycle ride for the British Heart Foundation. It's 54 miles and I'm already worried I've made a mistake!!
Next step is to buy a decent bike as the one I have is really cheap, heavy and rubbish!

Anyone else thinking or planning to do this? Some kind of a training support group would be great!

Hi Lumps
Well done for signing up for this challenge & a fabulous charity.
I started cycling last year & was well into when I had to stop.....I was up to doing a 60 mile charity bike ride as well......started in the April & charity bike ride was in July, so approx 3 months to get to that stage. I would normally go out 5 days a week, anywhere from 45 mins - 3 hours a ride, depending on my work schedule. We live in Dorset, so there was plenty of hill training, which I would recommend.
Just start off slowly, maybe 30 mins & then build up to longer rides......not only will your muscles ache, but apply Vaseline to your 'delicate' areas pre ride & I found Sudocrem helped post ride!!!
More importantly stay hydrated pre, during & post ride & once you are into longer rides, have some porridge before you go & take some 'energy bars'/carb drink with you.....believe me if you hit 'the wall' & have no food with you, it hurts!
Also, you will need to invest in a decent road bike & all the safety gear....there's fabulous ones on the market ranging from £300 - £10,000 +!!!
I hope that little bit of advice helps. Im slowly getting back to it (Im post op) & getting the 'buzz' for it again! My DH is a great cyclist & is training to ride with my nephew from Lands End to John 'a' Groats in July, with a few us as support crew!

Hi All, I have just had a moment of madness and signed up to join a team at work to do the London to Brighton Cycle ride for the British Heart Foundation. It's 54 miles and I'm already worried I've made a mistake!!
Next step is to buy a decent bike as the one I have is really cheap, heavy and rubbish!

Anyone else thinking or planning to do this? Some kind of a training support group would be great!

Just wanted to wish you luck on the bike ride such a great charity, I have a heart condition myself and have got alot of support from BHF in the past so I have so much support for people who raise funds for this charity.

Let us know how you get on after the event. :D

Hi Lumps
Well done for signing up for this challenge & a fabulous charity.
I started cycling last year & was well into when I had to stop.....I was up to doing a 60 mile charity bike ride as well......started in the April & charity bike ride was in July, so approx 3 months to get to that stage. I would normally go out 5 days a week, anywhere from 45 mins - 3 hours a ride, depending on my work schedule. We live in Dorset, so there was plenty of hill training, which I would recommend.
Just start off slowly, maybe 30 mins & then build up to longer rides......not only will your muscles ache, but apply Vaseline to your 'delicate' areas pre ride & I found Sudocrem helped post ride!!!
More importantly stay hydrated pre, during & post ride & once you are into longer rides, have some porridge before you go & take some 'energy bars'/carb drink with you.....believe me if you hit 'the wall' & have no food with you, it hurts!
Also, you will need to invest in a decent road bike & all the safety gear....there's fabulous ones on the market ranging from £300 - £10,000 +!!!
I hope that little bit of advice helps. Im slowly getting back to it (Im post op) & getting the 'buzz' for it again! My DH is a great cyclist & is training to ride with my nephew from Lands End to John 'a' Groats in July, with a few us as support crew!

Thanks for the tips. Does seem a bit daunting at the moment, but like you say, I will start slowly and build up. Hill Training...:eek: There is a big hill right at the end coming into Brighton which is nice, so I definitely need to be prepared for that!
I trained for a 10k run a couple of years ago and managed to run it in under an hour which I was really pleased with, but I never enjoyed my training sessions and didn't get the 'running bug' - I still hate running and think I always will. Cycling on the other hand I am hoping I will actually enjoy doing it!
I am planning on buying a hybrid bike as I go out mountain-biking with my boyfriend occasionally.
Good luck with your renewed training!
Also, is your bike saddle comfortable?

Just wanted to wish you luck on the bike ride such a great charity, I have a heart condition myself and have got alot of support from BHF in the past so I have so much support for people who raise funds for this charity.

Let us know how you get on after the event. :D

Thanks so much for the support, I will def let you know how I get on. Actually the more I think about it the more excited I am getting about it. Just hope it's not a rainy day!!

Thanks for the tips. Does seem a bit daunting at the moment, but like you say, I will start slowly and build up. Hill Training...:eek: There is a big hill right at the end coming into Brighton which is nice, so I definitely need to be prepared for that!
I trained for a 10k run a couple of years ago and managed to run it in under an hour which I was really pleased with, but I never enjoyed my training sessions and didn't get the 'running bug' - I still hate running and think I always will. Cycling on the other hand I am hoping I will actually enjoy doing it!
I am planning on buying a hybrid bike as I go out mountain-biking with my boyfriend occasionally.
Good luck with your renewed training!
Also, is your bike saddle comfortable?

Haha......I used to do a lot of running, but as the years creep on & after 2 knee surgeries, which Im sure were from running, Ive opted for a sport that has less impact on the knees! Im sure once you start you will also get the 'cycling bug'!
Thanks, the re-newed training has started & am just back from an 80 minute ride.....pretty windy, not a cyclists friend!
Yes, my saddle is comfy, but as I mentioned its not when you first start out! You will need to toughen up your 'undercarriage' & the only way to do that is put in the miles/time on the saddle Im afraid & Vaseline up!
Good luck & keep us posted :)

Back