Looking for a healthy curry recipe

Might sound strange but I've recently discovered curried bananas after looking up recipes when I needed to use some up and if you like fruity savoury it's truly delicious! I always do mine with onions and mushrooms on brown rice or cous cous.

4 chicken breasts chopped into small pieces.
Marinate them in Pataks tikka masala paste. (not sauce)

Using a table spoon of oil fry the following,
3 medium onions
bunch of coriander chopped small
thumb sized piece of grated ginger
3 medium red chillis (seeds removed)

As the stuff is frying, instead of adding more oil, add water make it into a sloppy soup like consistancy until it is all soft. Put this into a blender until it is a paste.

Add the chicken.

Pour in a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of coconut milk.
Bring to the boil, then simmer until chicken is cook, approx 1 hour.

ive made this loads of times and it always goes down a treat.

you will need

1 onions
a few cloves of garlic (anywhere from 1-4 depending on how much you like garlic!:) )
a drop of orange juice
a tablespoon of honey
some curry powder (i use a teaspoon)
some chilli (i use just under half a teaspoon)
cube vegtable/ chicken stock
1 tin of tomatoes
teaspoon of coriander

firstly grate the onion and the garlic beforehand

right in a pan put some 1 cup of hot water
add some vegtable stock and let it dissolve
next add the onion and garlic
stir this
then add the orange juice, the chilli and the curry powder
stir in the chopped tomotoes and let everything simmer for a few minutes
before finishing stir in a spoon of honey
add the coriander and simmer for a few more minutes

you can add veg/ meat or both in and serve with rice.

i love it, and its a fairly rough recipe so you dont have to be too precise,if you want it spicy add more spices etc and if you dont like it too sweet reduce the honey and orange juice. you should get two to three servings from the above recipe. also im not too sure on the water amount as its been a while since i made it but you should know yourself with the consistency if you need to add more.

sometimes whats nice also is when youve it all made with veg and all, when serving, put a spoon of natural yogurt on top of your dish(i dont mix it in to the sauce) it goes really well

hope you enjoy x

I often make tomato based curry - but use a small amount of curry paste, and more dried herbs and spices to cut down on the fat.

If I'm feeling particularly good, I have it with Quorn "chisken" and low carb cauliflower "rice". Can have a good tasting curry for under 400 cals and less than 15 grams of carbs.

There's an excellent biryani recipe in the Slimming World Curry Feast cookbook, available from all good amazon.co.uk's :)

May say strange but don't knock it till you've tried it.

This is enough for me and my boyfriend:

1 x chicken breast
tin of mushy peas
tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x onion
1 x tablespoon of curry powder.

Fry onions in fry light until translucent and add the chicken and cook till browned or just seared if you prefer, the goes in the tinned tomatoes curry powder and stir in the mushy peas. I cook it on a low heat for around 15 mins and carry on stirring. It's really quite tasty and filling!

Well I've been watching Gordon's (Ramsay) Great Escape where he goes to India and tries to make proper Indian food and it's so great. I'm a real fan of his and Indian food's probably my favourite. Anyway, if you go on www.4od.com you can watch the episodes but there's also recipes such as butter chicken and all the other good ones. He usually makes really sensible food and if there's something you can't have then you can replace it with something else. It's bound to be delicious and flavourful :)

This is for four but I just halved it.
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
400g frozen raw peeled prawns defrosted (I just used normal king prawns and they were fine)
2tbsp Korma curry paste
3tbsp ground almonds
Handful fresh coriander
Boiled rice, to serve

Head oil in frying pan, fry onions until lightly coloured, add prawns and stir in curry paste.
add 1/4 pint water and ground almonds. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
Scatter with coriander and serve with rice

Yum :)

Per serving 188 calories, protien 21g, Carbs 4g, Fat 10g, Sat Fat 1g, Fibre 1g, Sugar 2g, Salt 0.8g

Some great ideas.

How does the curried banana go? I love the sound of that and have heaps of coucous I need to find uses for.

I do a chickpea and spinach moroccan thingy. And i usually serve that with rice. I love it because it's all storecupboard ingredients.

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
0.5tsp cumin
0.25tsp ground ginger
0.25tsp ground coriander (add some fresh as well if you have it)
1 can chickpeas
150g spinach (I use the frozen stuff that comes in blocks, and it's usually about 6 blocks)

Fry the onion in a tiny bit of oil, or in a bit of water, just to soften it.
Add the cumin and garlic and cook for 1 min
Add the rest of the spices and mix well.
Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas (drained) and spinach.
Season, and simmer for 20mins.
If it seems a little dry, add up to 150ml veg stock (but I find it too watery when i do this).

It's great served with rice or couscous.

Back