Looking For Advice on Aqua Aerobics

rm247

Hi I'm hoping some of you have done Aqua Aerobics in the past, or even are still doing it now. I'm looking at joining a group on Monday. This will be my first exercise group I've ever joined, I've done gyms and swimming before but only on an individual basis. I have a few questions that I hope you can answer for me.

1) Being a mid 20s male will I stand out as being the only male/young person in the group? all the pictures I've seen on articles appear to be of older women.

2) How exactly does one of the classes work? what kind of exercises? and how do we copy someone if they're in the water and we can only make out their head?

3) Do you have to be a very strong swimmer to do these classes?

4) Last question, in a hour long class how much of that is the actual exercise and how much is just time spent in the pool?

Sorry for all the questions, any help will be very appreciated.

1) Being a mid 20s male will I stand out as being the only male/young person in the group? all the pictures I've seen on articles appear to be of older women.
possibly but it's not just older women that do it I have been to a few but there wern't any guys in the 1 I went to thats not to say you shouldn't go tho ;)

2) How exactly does one of the classes work? what kind of exercises? and how do we copy someone if they're in the water and we can only make out their head?
all sorts of excersizes running on the spot jumping about much more vigrous than I thought it would be!! the instructor was out of the pool so easy to copy ;)

seeing as the pool you can stand up in I shouldn't think so the instructor will ask you if you can swim there is abit of swimming involved ;)

4) Last question, in a hour long class how much of that is the actual exercise and how much is just time spent in the pool?
the whole hour is excersize ;)

rm247 said:
Hi I'm hoping some of you have done Aqua Aerobics in the past, or even are still doing it now. I'm looking at joining a group on Monday. This will be my first exercise group I've ever joined, I've done gyms and swimming before but only on an individual basis. I have a few questions that I hope you can answer for me.

Sorry for all the questions, any help will be very appreciated.

I love aqua classes!!

No! There are lots of young people (and older men lol) that do it, it honestly just depends on the date.
At the gym I go to, the classes are on in the day, so I guess it just so happens that more retired people can get there.

You get in the pool... Usually a bunch of others gloating around lol.

Everyone stands at the shallow/middle of the pool so you don't have to treat water or anything.
The instructor stands on the side of the pool and it's pretty much similar to an aerobics class.... But in water!

Side steps, squats, running, lunges etc. lots of splashing. Sometimes using the side for assistance/arms etc.

No, you just have to be able to stand up in the water.
Another reason a lot of older people will attend the class is you can begin at any fitness level what so ever.

You are in the pool the whole time, essentially 'exercising' the whole hour, but it flies and it's not constant or faast paced.

Really hope you try it out, reckon you'll love it once you give it a go.

Thought I'd update the thread with my experiences, in case anyone else is wondering the same as me.

I arrived early for the session which was a mistake as most people arrive bang on time or a few minutes into the session. Whilst waiting for the session to start the pool was still open for free swim, so being a male there by himself did make e feel very self-conscious, this got more so as groups of women started filling to pool to start. the only other male turned up after the session started, however there were a wide range of ages.

The session itself featured a variety of exercises, starting with running on the spot based ones, to line dancing style, stretching, etc. At no point did we actually swim and several of the women there did not even get their hair wet. The session lasted about 50 minutes of the hour, but that's normal, I was worried I'd be paying for a hour and get a 10 minute session with 50 minutes swimming time.

The movements themselves are quite fun, due to being in the water you can't control/move your body as normal so just stepping side to side takes effort. You are slower than normal but use more muscle. Only about 2/3rds of the group finished the session as people got out mid-way through whenever they felt tired.

It was overall an enjoyable experience and i'll go again but time it better.

Back