Loose skin after weightloss

I'm soooo convinced that if I lose the weight I need to, I'm going to end up with big flaps of loose skin. I didn't last time I lost the weight & this time I'm a stone heavier than when I last started BUT I had a baby 6 months ago and my whole tummy is completely stretchmarked. My skin feels like all the elasticity has gone. I know that exercise will help but...how much does it really make a difference? Can an ex fatty who's had a badly stretchmarked belly convert it to a toned tummy without surgery?
And when I say toned I don't mean muscly, just not all flappy skin? I have about 6 stone to lose in total! :(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm curious about this too. I have very large arms. Especially at the top. I hope I don't end up with worse flabby looking arms than I do already :(

Losing weight slowly should help more so than anything else, they reckon. It all depends on skin type, age etc., but if you lose at the recommended 1-2lbs a week your skin has a fighting chance to adjust. Exercise won't actually do anything for skin, but will tighten the underlying muscle at least. My skin isn't too bad really, but I've been losing for over two years.

There's a few tips in this article:

http://www.newhealthguide.org/Loose-Skin-After-Weight-Loss.html

Good luck! :) xx

Last edited:
That kind of sucks lol, I tend to lose weight quickly, even without any exercise (I'm not complaining!) I'm always really rigid with calorie counting and rarely slip up. It's keeping the weight off long term that I struggle with as opposed to the actual losing it part but I've got so much fear about my tummy this time. Tbh, I think my tummy is so badly stretchmarked that it probably wouldn't make a bit of difference how slowly the weight comes off it, I think it's destined to be a flapper :(

Rawrrr1987 said:
That kind of sucks lol, I tend to lose weight quickly, even without any exercise (I'm not complaining!) I'm always really rigid with calorie counting and rarely slip up. It's keeping the weight off long term that I struggle with as opposed to the actual losing it part but I've got so much fear about my tummy this time. Tbh, I think my tummy is so badly stretchmarked that it probably wouldn't make a bit of difference how slowly the weight comes off it, I think it's destined to be a flapper :(

Give it time, hon, I was considerably heavier than you when I started and mine's just a bit flabby and wrinkly, but nothing I'm bothered about. Whatever happens, it's much preferable to keeping the weight on! :) xx

I really worried about loose skin too, but to be honest the difference in your health and energy levels out weighs some wibbly skin. My advice would be make sure you do toning exercise as well as cardio, I am a late bloomer to the toning part. Good luck on your journey :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back