Loose Skin - How do you deal with it?

Minerva

...we're sinking deeper.
I hate to bring this up! :ashamed0005:

But perhaps, for some of us, who have lost quite a substantial amount of weight in a relatively short period of time (like LL, CD, and other similar diets) - there is an additional problem of loose skin (mine is especially bad around my arms and stomach even though I'm only 22...), and excessive stretchmarks which make everything look so much worse.

If you have similar concerns, how do you deal with yours?

I am also asking because when my boyfriend lost 12 stone, he's always had an 'over-hang' stomach, and it's just turned into a flap that hangs down, and while I like his flappy-belly - it doesn't look like it will ever go down on it's own which makes him a sad panda.

Any advice? :character00238:

Apparently, if you keep up your water intake, use a goos moisturiser and exercise, it shouldn't be too bad.
Just be aware that it takes between a year and eighteen months for skin to shrink back to the size of the new you.

Take care,
Emm

You have youth on your side which is a big help. To be honest I think it differs from person to person, you either get it or you don't and have read somewhere that there's not alot you can do about it. If you were over 40 I would say you were more likely to get it but I think it's a case of wait and see. Sorry not to be more helpful!

hi, im glad someone posted this as i was thinking about this again myself.....thats what i hated the most about last time i lost all my weight was the amount of excess skin on my arms & belly...it was not comfortable at all and i got to the stage where i thought if i put a bit of weight back on then it wouldnt be too bad.....but thats when it went downhill and i ended up putting all the weight back on..what a waste i hear you all say:cry:...but this time im determined that loose/flappy skin or not im going to lose weight and keep it off....i will just have to save for a tummy tuck if it comes to it !!!!

To be honest what I found does help is doing cardiovascular exercise. Maybe it's more of a confidence boost than anything, but I feel like it makes a bit of a difference..
Plus I have to look at myself as how I look at other people. My loose skin is no different to millions of other women out on the High Street. I get all self-conscious about mine and cover up, yet I see women wear tank tops with worse flab than I have! YET - I don't actually think anything of it. IN FACT I often tell myself - They look awesome because they're confident in the way they look. I don't even really see the flab unless I'm looking for it specifically.
Maybe it's a lesson we all have to learn a bit from?

:character00238:We are awesome people but we are too self-critical. :hmm:

Groovychick - don't be ashamed in any way, the fact of the matter is, you did it before, and you can do it again! And maybe this time you can learn to be happy. Who cares if you have some loose skin? It's no worse than anyone else. It's just another one of those obstacles that we as a group need to address and allow ourselves to accept.

:D :D :D :D :D

When I was pregnant I was huge, and my belly got covered in strech marks. It didn't look to bad when I was bigger but know it's starting to look awful.

I use bio oil twice a day, that does help with the strech marks. But I haven't found anything that will help it go down.

My plan is to have a tummy tuck when I have lost all the weight. Then I am going to have a great big tattoo over it so that if I put any weight on the tattoo will look silly and I think that will give me an incentive not to put the weight on.

I lost 4 and a half stone 4 years ago and was left with skin problems on my arms, stomach and thighs so I know how you feel.

I put alot of that weight back on and am worried about it again. I've been doing research and the way to deal with it is to build your muscles so that the skin can cling to it and reduce the effect. I have just bought dumbells to buld my triceps for my arms and I've been doing ab crunches. Don't know how to deal with the thighs though.....any ideas??

I hate to bring this up! :ashamed0005:

But perhaps, for some of us, who have lost quite a substantial amount of weight in a relatively short period of time (like LL, CD, and other similar diets) - there is an additional problem of loose skin (mine is especially bad around my arms and stomach even though I'm only 22...), and excessive stretchmarks which make everything look so much worse.

If you have similar concerns, how do you deal with yours?

I am also asking because when my boyfriend lost 12 stone, he's always had an 'over-hang' stomach, and it's just turned into a flap that hangs down, and while I like his flappy-belly - it doesn't look like it will ever go down on it's own which makes him a sad panda.

Any advice? :character00238:

How many months has this panda had he flap :)

My Former LLC told me it will take 8 months to stretch back, i have also read it takes 2 months per stone to shrink.

Now if he lost about 10 stones or more he may need surgery. But the things he must do now is exercise and try to pull it in.

Ab workouts are not going to do it alone. He must do Squats and Deadlift. He can then go finish off the abs when those two are done as they truly work the abs out.

Hope this helps, dont worry we are all in the same boat

I lost 4 and a half stone 4 years ago and was left with skin problems on my arms, stomach and thighs so I know how you feel.

I put alot of that weight back on and am worried about it again. I've been doing research and the way to deal with it is to build your muscles so that the skin can cling to it and reduce the effect. I have just bought dumbells to buld my triceps for my arms and I've been doing ab crunches. Don't know how to deal with the thighs though.....any ideas??

Perfect :)

How many months has this panda had he flap :)

My Former LLC told me it will take 8 months to stretch back, i have also read it takes 2 months per stone to shrink.

Now if he lost about 10 stones or more he may need surgery. But the things he must do now is exercise and try to pull it in.

Ab workouts are not going to do it alone. He must do Squats and Deadlift. He can then go finish off the abs when those two are done as they truly work the abs out.

Hope this helps, dont worry we are all in the same boat

Thank you for your response! Haha, my "Panda" lost about 12 st, and there is no way in hell he'll ever do exercise regularly! He gained a little bit back so his stomach looks better for it? Not that I mind - to be perfectly honest I much prefer his 'flap' to any muscle, abs what-not... but that's just me.
It's gone down a little though, he finished his RTM around November time... Maybe it's just one of those things he'll have to live with because he's lazy with the regular exercise! :)

*pokes you* :D

Back