Losing weight and giving up smoking

JezVonSavage

Lost in the Supermarket
What a week to do this!!

I am, technically, only a social smoker so I've not been too bad since Xmas day but I'm going to a party later on and even though I KNOW I can refuse the food, will I be able to refuse all the cool kids* outside having a fag?? :eek:

I'm not planning on even drinking, as I know if I have one drink that will be it.

I don't tend to use any giving up aids. Last time I quit it was for 6 months- that also coincided with not drinking, but then the first party I went to I caved. Maybe I should give up drinking as well?? Oh God!!

*joke

How did you do it??

I actually hate it as a habit. I don't enjoy it, which I think is why I find it so easy to quit when I'm sober. My other half won't let me smoke in the house so with this weather I have no desire to go outside, I hate spending the money and I hate the smell. When I wake up with a hangover and I stink of ciggies I just think "why the hell have I done this!!" but then as soon as I've got a hangover I end up buying a packet. Also prone to smoking when I'm stressed- so not entirely a social smoker but nearly.

I've just hit that constant heartburn stage :cry:

I quit without any 'stop-smoking' aids a couple of years ago. There were a couple of tips that really saw me through..

1) If you feel desperate for a ciggie, tell yourself you'll allow yourself to have one once your hands have dried NATURALLY after washing them. It takes longer for the drying to happen than cravings last.

2) Breathe in and out slowly and thoughtfully (like you used to when you smoked) to feel more in control.

3) Use the Why Quit site to understand what's going on chemically / physically when you stop smoking. Knowledge is power and all that. WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource

Good luck. It'll be worth it in the end xx

Thanks for the great tips- I like the sound of that hands drying naturally one.

Unfortunately I was a bit naughty last night and had a couple of cheeky cigs, but I haven't smoked today so I'm claiming that as a minor victory :wave_cry:

Back