Losing weight too quickly

malaika

Lover of Extra Easy
My sister-in-law joined a slimming club.
I can't remember which, but it may be Slim Fast. It's the one where you can only eat and drink the bars and milk shakes.
Anyway, she lost a lot of weight. I think it's 3 stone in 2 1/2 months!
She wasn't huge to begin with and her body looks great, if not a little thin now!
But her face seems to have aged 10 years in the year since I saw her!
I told her I was doing SW and she asked how much I've lost. She said she could'nt do anything so slow and needs immediate results.
Fair enough, each to their own, I guess but I think the sudden weight loss has aged her so much. I don't think it's worth it!
She is now on maintenance, which I think is really harsh. She doesn't eat carbs at all and her portions are tiny.
Quite frankly, I wonder how long it will last. I don't think anything so restrictive can be kept for long.
SW may be slower but it's brilliant and life changing. I also don't think it ages anyone!
It will be interesting to see her in another year.

A girl who i work with did lighter life and started late on in 2007, she lost about 9 stones in around 8 months but she looked awful.

Her hair had become strawlike, her skin sallow and grey, she looked ill. She never did maintainence properly though and just kept on having the shakes so i think she was actually malnourished.

She started on food again and put quite a bit of weight back on, i must admit though she looks 100 times better for it now even if she is a little over weight.

The worrying thing is though she is back on 3 shakes a day and 1 protein based meal. Its like a vicious circle for her, she cant learn how to eat properly so she will probably now end up yoying by putting it back on and then relying on the shakes again to get it off.

I suspect she had an ED as well now, she takes T5's, water tablets and laxitives daily so its like anything she is putting in she is trying to purge but she is still overweight.

I really worry about her and can see her on a path to self destruction. Its each to their own for VLCD's but i think they are unrealistic to manage for the rest of your life.

I agree... the more drastic the diet, the more likely you are to gain it all again.
I did atkins when I was 17, and lost 2 stone in 7 weeks, but then went on to gain 5 stone over the next 6 years!!!
SW is a life changing diet, that develops good eating habits, and that is the reason that I am following the plan still after 31 weeks!
Emma xXx

i have to agree, i have been 'dieting' since i was 12 am 34 this year. and now i do not feel like i am dieting. yes some weeks i 'cheat' but i have learned to bring it back and those are the weeks i stay the same. the slower it comes off this time the more in control i feel to stay the same.

Yep you are all 100% right. I did Lipotrim 2 years ago and lost 3 stone in just over 2 months. Now i managed to keep the weight off, i'd put a few lbs on and lose them again. But i only managed to maintain because i was realistic. I didn't go into the milkshakes thinking it was forever, i knew it would get the weight off and then i'd have to watch what i ate FOREVER haha.

I used to go on the Lipotrim forum on here and it would drive me insane! There used to be one girl who would let rip at anyone even commenting about food! She would lay in to them, tell them that for them to even consider coming off the milkshakes was cheating themselves and they will regret it and nothing is ever going to make you lose weight like that diet. She's tell them they didnt need food, it was all in your head blah blah blah. I wanted to punch her! There were so many people on there who i would consider to be bordering on an eating disorder brought on by that diet!

Don't get me wrong, it was the best thing i did up until joining slimming world because i was the right type of person to handle it afterwards but life is for living, not for starving yourself or messing with your body, not to mention the mood swings and physical side effects!

Ooooo sorry for the rant lol :D xx

The thing is though, food is a part of every day life, hell you need the god damn stuff to survive!

Taking food out of the equation isn't the answer as far as i am concerned as you are only running away from the problem. Food is everywhere and you cant live your life running away from it, avoiding going out for social events where there will be food and excluding yourselves when other people are eating is just daft.

The girl i know clearly has issues with food and the VLCD has not cured that. Although i believe Lighter Life offer councelling as part of their service it clearly doesnt work as they retrain your brain to function without food whilst you are on the shakes and this is totally unrealistic in the real world.

If you want to live in a world where you cant participate in anything where there is food involved then crack on, rather you than me!

Back