Lots to lose - PCOS

mary84

I was diagnosed with bad PCOS from the age of 15 and suffer quite badly with many cysts causing most of the fat on my body to be central around my ovaries. Since I was diagnosed I hve gradually put on stone after stone and at the beginning of the year I weighed in at 24 stone. Although PCOS itself is partly to blame, I think that living with the knowledge that I may never have children and that I am 'different' has contributed in a major way to my over eating. Since the end of January though I have been following Weight Watchers point programme and have so far lost 1 stone 9 3/4 pounds and I am feeling really positive that I have cracked it. I'l hoping that by Christmas time I could weigh 14 stone and at 5 foot 8, I think that might make me almost healthy. Has anyone got any tips that don't involve medication? I hate taking tablets - they make me feel really horrid. x

Hey,

Well done on the weight loss so far, that's fantastic and so difficult with PCOS, so big congrats to you!

Without going down the meds route the best tips are avoid processed carbs as much as you can, if it ain't wholemeal avoid! And try and increase your exercise.

Also, having PCOS doesn't mean not having kids, lots of women with PCOS successfully get pg without any medical help. Getting your weight down is obviusly the first hurdle which you're tackling beautifully.

All the best and good luck! xxx

Well done on your weightloss so far! Just think of it, if you can lose that much, you can lose more.
I have pcos too and weightloss is not easy but since i've been losing weight i have been feeling better and healthier and i just want to lose more and more!
What i tend to do is look at food and ask myself is this going to make me thin or fat? and if the answer is fat, i won't have it. Just helps me talk myself out of eating the wrong foods!

Good luck with everything! :D

I also have PCOS and have been told that having a baby is still possible, loads of famous women have it also and have their babies just fine, ie Victoria Beckham.
Just bear that in mind!

You're doing so well on the weight loss front, just keep going and focus on making little weekly goals for yourself.

I firmly believe now that having porridge every day for breakfast really really helps.
The oats are so so healthy and good for your digestion and tummy, and it does keep you full of energy till lunch time, and I'm not tempted to just open the fridge and stare as I so often do!
I didn't particularily like it myself either, but sort of got used to the taste now.

please do give up hope i have PCOS im was 26.4 stone i have 7 kids now so it can happen im now 23 stone icant wait for my op for bypass i hate the hair on my fae and hope it gets better but if i have PCOS and i weight a lot and have 7 kids it chould happen to you and i hope it does xxxxxxxx

please dont give up on the hope of having children. I was the same, I have PCOs and was basically told the weight I was was making it impossible for me to have children in the future (im not in the position to try for a family yet) because my periods stopped. one of my main motivators for losing weight was the thought that IF i needed fertitlity treatment i was at the right weight to have it after losing weight, or to get my periods back to greaten the chances of me having children..

Youve done so well so far with the weight loss. It is hard losing iiweight with PCOS and can frustrating at times, but it can be done.

Well done!! You're an inspiration for losing that much!

I have PCOS and blocked tubes so the only way I can have babies is through ivf. But i need to loose at least 4 stone to qualify for it. I've tried so hard to loose weight over the last 7 years but failed miserably until recently when I discovered lighter life and have lost just over a stone through it but the progress is slower for me i've noticed than the rest of my group and often gets me down but then i remind myself that im loosing somthing which is more than i've been able to do over the last 7 years and that keeps me motivated to keep going back every week. So what if it'l take a bit longer and so what if it'l cost more but at least i'l be a little closer to holding that little bundle of life in arms. It would be a dream come true.

good luck all by the way.

heyy im 19 and my mum found out i have pcos at age of 4... although they didnt know the name then, i gt told many times i would never have a baby!! GUESS WHAT im tryin to lose my baby weight :) dont give up hope xxx

had a gynae apt the other day and have been approved for ivf.cos have an ok bmi

Mary well done on your weight loss! I know it is tough as I too have PCOS. Think what you've achieved is fabulous, keep it up :)

I'm a newbie to this site, but already amazed at the success stories and suddenly I dont feel alone with it! I was 23 (12 years ago) when I found out I had PCOS and my key symptom was facial hair. I had to jump through hoops to get help from my doc, but eventually they arranged laser hair removal. I used to eat like a rabbit and work out 5 times a week to stay in shape, which I did, but after a few years it all became a bit unsustainable. I took on greater responsibilities at work, and with that came stress (hello weight-gain!) and I have managed to clock up over 4 stone in the space of 12 years.

Now I look at myself, totally gorgeous hairfree face but my body is lost amongst the pounds i have piled on. I cannot let myself put on more weight, I am concerned about getting diabetes and the fertility issue. I know if I can get down to my optimum weight I am reducing all of those risks.

Subs I see you are at Slimming World...I have decided to go along next week, there is one near me. Would be nice to hear more about slimming groups and PCOS and whether they can help? I could really use group support - I have never been to a group or joined a forum but I am already feeling really motivated :)

Great to hear everyone's success stories, hope i will be one of them soon! xx

fitty wannabe, well done for making the first step and realizing u need to do somthing quick. you will get oodles of support on this forum because every1 is lovely and always there with lots of helpful encouragement and support. good luck in whatever you do. and keep us posted.

subs thank u hun!

My first week of diet and lost half a stone! so happy with that, but just gota keep going now and finding it hard.

x

hi everyone
i too have pcos and only found out fter i had my son. i had been on meds for 5 years for it and it didnt help so i came off them. i tried lots of diets but couldnt really stick to them. at sw i was advised to stick to green days because that is what helps pcos but i had lost 10lb on red days in 4 weeks and couldnt handle the green. all the pasta and stuff. well done on your journey i have started lipotrim tfr now and feel its going good. as for pcos my doctor said its should get better with weight loss and that will help with my fertility as my son is 11 and we have been trying every since for a second one. so fingers crossed and good luck x x x

Thanks Dazzle, your weightloss is indeed dazzling :) Well done everyone who is on here x

:wave_cry:
Hi i'm a newbie to this site, Its good to see so many people in the same position as me as it feels very lonely when people dont understand how i feel.
We have been TTC since 2003 with no luck, I was diagnosed with PCOS about 12 month's ago now. Since then i have been trying v hard to lose weight with not much luck ! My period's are so irregular when it does happen im on for weeks at at a time and have to get tablet's to stop it. I have lost about 1 stone and I have had 3 lots of chlomid which did not work. I was reffered to the assisted conception unit but they can not help until my BMI decreases massively. I joined slimming world yesterday since WW has not worked for me and im giving it my best shot. My greatest wish is to have a baby so hopefully slimming world can help me reach that goal.

Back