Low carb diet

lauuuu10

Hi everyone!

I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS as of yet, however I have a lot of the symptoms so I am seeing the doc next week to see what is going on.

Well, I'm incredibly frustrated with my weight right now. I started a work out and healthy eating regime around 8 weeks ago & have lost half a pound. It's frustrating. :mad:

I have been working out around 40 minutes 6 days a week & eating around 1700 cals a day.

Today I did a bit more research on carbs and found that they're not very good for people who suffer with PCOS. I didn't really know this until today! I have been eating carbs all the time! I love pasta, cereal etc etc so didn't really cut back on them at all.

I am wondering how many grams of carbs is okay every day? I read on one website it's 100 and another it's 80. I am aiming for between 60 - 80 grams but it's difficult. I didn't know how many foods have so many carbs in them!

I am also wondering if anyone has any good ideas for low carb meals? I am finding it difficult to find anything with low carbs in it.

Thanks. :)

I know what you mean - it is difficult to cut down on carbs - there are carbs in loads of things but if you can cut some out you'll find it easier to lose weight, and you may see an improvement in the PCOS (if you have it).

I have PCOS and try to not eat any for most meals, just stick to higher protein foods but I do sneak some carbs in every now and again.

You need to stick to complex carbs - wholewheat pasta, brown rice, brown/wholemeal bread - these are fairly low in calories and small amounts of these will make you feel fuller for longer so you wont be inclined to snack on other stuff. The natural sugar in fruit has quite a lot of carbs in it, so although it sounds like a healthy snack, sugars are a no-go for PCOS so go easy on these too!

I tend to eat a lot of fish and chicken with veg - also make a lot of casseroles and currys and just serve it with a little bit of brown rice.

Low GI diets are recommended for people with PCOS but I just didnt get on with that diet at all. I am currently at Slimming World and seems to be working (10lbs off in 4 weeks so far, fingers crossed it continues). There are some really good ideas for low-carb meals on these boards - try visiting the Slimming World or the Low GI boards and see if you can get some good tips!

Good luck with your journey x

Back