Low carb eating (keto) and fasting

Yes - much more. I never have white pepper in the house - but may get some to see if it has a different flavour.

Celery salt: Tesco's mix is Sea Salt (76%), Celery Powder (23%), Anti-caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide).

Wikipedia tells me celery powder can be powdered celery or juice or for apparently a different flavour - celery seeds. Celery powder is sometimes used as "a food preservative in organic meat products." I'd always thought celery salt was always celery seeds - so everyday is a school day!

Best price on amazon for seed powder is just under £7 for 750 grams and a klo of seeds from Just Ingredients on amazon
for £8.50.

I have found out that celery powder can be used as:
  • Marinating mix/rub for jerky
  • Flavouring stocks and stews.
  • Adding to brines for fermented vegetables.
  • Dry rubs for meat and fish.
  • Adding to bread dough.
  • Adding to refrigerator pickles.
  • Adding a pinch to a Bloody Mary cocktail.
Schwartz spices suggest a generous shake of celery salt in macaroni and cheese, prawn cocktails or crispy roast potatoes, stirring celery salt into soups and tomato-based pasta sauces and using in melting lasagne & cauliflower cheese.

DIY recipe: 2/3 seeds 1/3 salt. https://www.thespruceeats.com/diy-recipe-to-make-celery-salt-4150763

Broke fast with meat loaf and cavollo nero, as sort of dark kale, cooked with butter. I bought it at Lidl to decide if I'd like to grow it.

The cavollo nero was Ok - but given the number of pigeons around and seaside winds, I won't grow it, as I'd have to be protecting it with nets. Too much hassle for not enough loveliness. I prefer sprouting broccoli!

Roasted some veg - and had the end of the meatloaf with some roast cabbage and some higher carb root veggies - which will have taken me over 20g of carb today - nearer 30g, I think. Still Ok but not my usual choice.

Last edited:
Celery salt is great on macaroni cheese especially if you top it with sliced tomatoes before sprinkling with cheese, the celery salt on the tomatoes really enhances the whole dish.
That sounds a very tasty day’s food, yes a little higher but some good fibre. I love fibre 😊😆

I love Cavalo Nero and do grow it. It's easier to say than curly kale as the slugs have less places to hide.

Strange day. I woke up around 6am, fell asleep again, woke up and had a pee and finally woke up at 2.30pm! Broke fast with slow carb roasted veg & cabbage cold out of the fridge. Roasted wedges of cabbage taste so good. Sort of sweeter and nuttier.

I will use less oil next time for lower fat input. The Eat like a Bear lady always says if you eat more than you need, then that has to be burned before you can burn fat stores.

No protein. Just didn't add any to the plate and now I'm full. Update: I cooked some back for OH - and had some. It's the cooking bacon pieces - this one has very very thin slices - in depth and width. So cooked 4 slices wasn't a lot. Very tasty, it was!!

Update later. Will probably have chicken thighs.

Last edited:
What a lovely sleep, you obviously needed it and good sleep aids weight loss I’ve heard. I’ve never tried roasted cabbage, how long do you roast for? I used to do a Parmesan and yoghurt crusted roast cauliflower that was very nice, don’t know why I stopped!

Roast cabbage slices or wedges, with oil or brushed with butter, with the core left in for 20-30 mins. If you've left a bit too long you may need to remove some charred leaves. You can add garlic, chilli or herbs, and 5 minutes before taking out, sprinkle with parmesan.

Scrambled eggs early break fast.

Update later.

No update later! A fail on apple crumble. On other food, I can't remember. I think maybe it was just the apple crumble.

Today, I just broke fast with bacon and an egg.

Later - some chicken thigh meat and skins. Not hungry for more.

Last edited:
I broke my fast with a lamb stir fry - red pepper, red cabbage, onion, bit of carrot, garlic, ginger, soy sauce.

Later: bacon and 90 second keto bread (egg, ground almonds, butter and baking powder). Edited to add - a handful of peanuts at time of meal.

Last edited:
Yesterday: Small slice of aged gouda and stir fried red cabbage with a mince meat recipe pan fried which went a bit wrong. It was supposed to be like an eastern european versIon of a keema kebabs without the skewer - but it fell to pieces.

Some pieces of lamb mid afternoon. Later more minced meat. Choc pudding.

Today I broke my fast at nearly midday with a creamy coffee with erythritol - because I'd left some cream out overnight.

Curry chicken mayo with lettuce.

Rib eye steak with celery and an orange pepper. Sauce - water in the pan and some cream. Later, slither of aged gouda. I've had to hide it in the veg drawer so Mr AG doesn't snaffle it!!

Last edited:
Today coronation chicken and iceberg lettuce. Ramekin of chilli cashews and peanuts. Bacon. Slice of aged gouda.

Cabbage, bacon and some cream. Yummy!

Curry egg mayo and lemon cream.

Last edited:
Breaking fast with a coffee - vanilla essence and cream.

Egg curry mayo.

Slither of ham (making a sandwich for OH), one thin polish sausage stick things from Lidls, and 2 beef and pork hamburgers and lemon pudding ramekin.

Onion rings (pre low carb freezer food!) - very odd - they taste so sweet.

More to follow.

Last edited:
I wish I liked coffee any other way but black, I’m always slightly envious of low-carbers coffees as they sound delicious...I just cannot have it white.

I had a shake at midday - as I had to clean the airbnb and needed something that wouldn't sit on my tum. I'm finishing up my store cupboard and freezer. I won't be replacing the shake powder when I finish it. It was Asda - not recommended!

I delayed my next meal until I was feeling hungry (4.30pm) and had 200g of MSC Lidl scallops with some kale, some mixed veggies cooked yesterday (red, yellow and orange peppers, celery, garlic, onion and a bit of carrot), butter and some cream). It was delicious - a treat!

Later (22.15pm) I am having a stick of polish sausage (thinner and less circumference than a pepperoni) and some grated parmesan heated in a pan - so crispy.

Last edited:
Yum scallops! I should be getting some off a neighbour fisherman this week, can’t wait. Your recipe sounds really nice.

It was delicious! I bought 2 boxes so I will have another scallop meal when OH has a pasta meal. Good - but not nearly as nice as fresh scallops from a diver!

Breaking fast at 13.15pm with a mug of gammon broth. I cook a gammon regularly for OH's sandwiches and to have in sauce with his pasta. I sprinkled a few celery seeds in it as I have a kg of celery seeds following my research on chicken herbs for coating. They'll be good until sept 2022 - so plenty of time to add to coleslaw, dressings and more. No macaron cheese in this house - as I'd find that too compelling.

As we have some income coming in again, I've got some erythritol, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. I think I was thinking about keto crackers when I ordered the sunflower seeds. There weren't any in Lidl. Mostly seeds and nuts are cheaper in Lidl than on Amazon so I no longer buy ground almonds on Amazon.

I've boiled some eggs in my little hard boiled egg machine. I wasn't sure it would be good - but I really like not having pans of boiling water and steam everywhere. The eggs peel more easily too. I have my mum's egg slicer (so it's maybe 50 years old - but the wires and plastic are still going strong so far!) - so slice the eggs one way and then turn it round and slice it crossways - which makes my ideal egg mayo. I have some of the curry mayo still good so will be using that for today's egg mayo. I find I need much less mayo than thought. I use half and half mayo and sour cream. sour my own cream using lemon juice.

Egg mayo, parmesan crisps and homemade nut/seed keto bar for lunch (some keto bat batter b4 lunch as I licked out the bowl) and later hot chicken and parmesan crisps and keto bar. Not sure I was sufficiently hungry - not sure I was sufficiently hungry. Eating to the clock is a bad habit.

Last edited:
It’s strange, the not being hungry when you’re very low carb isn’t it - you realise how much our eating is habit/boredom/comfort rather than fuel for hunger.
I do wish I lived nearer to an Aldi or Lidl for seeds etc, I have to use Amazon. Have you tried chia? I bought a batch as really missing porridge (make it daily for children) but I don’t think I’ve nailed my recipe yet.

Back