Low carb eating (keto) and fasting

Yesterday was an egg mayo and omelette sort of day. Today started well - egg mayo - but deteriorated when I chose to eat one of Mr Aligal's bakewell tart and 4 pieces of higher carb dark choc when I came back from Lidl.

Madness. No excuses. They were nice but no that nice. Not delicious and definitely worth it.

I also had some Greek cheese. Which was good.

So a higher carb day. Definitely above 20. Probably below 50 carbs - so not a disaster. Just must not get in the habit of eating Mr AG's sweet things!

Tomorrow is another day and we'll have roast chicken. That will be delicious!

Bakewell tarts are so good though! I've not had one for years! I miss my travels home to stock up!

The thing is I could make a low carb bakewell. I don't make a lot of sweet treats because I want to use the fat I'm wearing - so lower calories are better than more calories.

I am not counting calories or keto macros. Mostly, I just keep to vegetables grown above ground, protein - meat, cheese and sardines. Occasional below ground veg. Some tomatoes and avocado. Olive & coconut oil. Butter. No corn or seed oil - except occasional sesame oil in the stir fry.

It's a shame as I love salmon! I have a tin of wild salmon in the store cupboard for a special day....

So today, I have eaten roasted aubergine and 2 eggs. This afternoon, I had some more roasted veg - asparagus, celery - and some below ground veg - carrot and onion & a couple of the chocs made. I was going to roast a chicken - but I 'm not hungry enough - so will roast it tomorrow.

Now I have to decide if I'm eating more protein/fats tonight.

Edited to add: slice of edam, 2 slices of salami and the last 3 chocs.

Last edited:
The thing is I could make a low carb bakewell. I don't make a lot of sweet treats because I want to use the fat I'm wearing - so lower calories are better than more calories.

I am not counting calories or keto macros. Mostly, I just keep to vegetables grown above ground, protein - meat, cheese and sardines. Occasional below ground veg. Some tomatoes and avocado. Olive & coconut oil. Butter. No corn or seed oil - except occasional sesame oil in the stir fry.

It's a shame as I love salmon! I have a tin of wild salmon in the store cupboard for a special day....

So today, I have eaten roasted aubergine and 2 eggs. This afternoon, I had some more roasted veg - asparagus, celery - and some below ground veg - carrot and onion & a couple of the chocs made. I was going to roast a chicken - but I 'm not hungry enough - so will roast it tomorrow.

Now I have to decide if I'm eating more protein/fats tonight.

Edited to add: slice of edam, 2 slices of salami and the last 3 chocs.
Sounds wonderful. Great you home cook as it does make it much easier to vary the recipes. I used to eat salmon on keto and remained in keto. Adding to that I would use heavy cream. I used an awful lot of cheese too, I just love it, but had to reduce it down to keep the weight loss going.

Yesterday - veg ommlette. 4 pieces of chocolate and a couple of brazil nuts, roast chicken 2 small new pots and a bit of onion.

Today: ham and an egg 3 brazil nuts. More to follow.

I was trying to figure out what was in the new pots you had, a pot of what? 😂

New potatoes! Jersey royals....

Yep, I'd figured it out, but only after wondering what was in the pots and why you had two of them🤣.

Not been keeping up with daily logs - so I can't remember.

Wednesday: Omlette with peppers, egg mayo salad plus who knows.....

Thursday: aubergine korma & egg curry and other stuff!!

Yesterday, some brazil nuts. Salad - iceberg, cucumber tomato and vinagrette. Later brazil nuts and burger, with mayo and high carb ketchup. 3 mushrooms. I made some parmesan wafers and some almond biscuits. And then ate some!! II also put some of the almond cookie dough in the freezer.

Today: Broke fast this am with an almond biscuit and coffee. Later homemade turkish beef kofte and another biscuit. S3 parmesan crisps. Steak and mushrooms. Biscuit.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a round trip to London to meet some friends at Speakers' Corner. Knowing I was going to weigh in today helped me break the really bad habit of buying chocolate and snacks when on a long journey. I was rewarded with nearly 2 1/2lbs down this week - and definitely into the 200s again..

So I had some cans of zero pop n the car. There are some calories but I am losing weight despite having Lidl zero max cola most days.

Some people are sensitive to the sweeteners - and get blood sugar spikes. I don't know if my blood sugar spies on artificial sweeteners - but as it doesn't make me want to snack, I am not tackling that bad habit yet! Thanks to Mark at Keto Fitness Club £10 keto starter session on zoom (Facebook and youtube) for that advice.

I broke my fast around 3pm on my way home. Double bacon cheeseburger and the lettuce - no bun, no sauce or onion (raw onion - yuk!) and cheese melts. I order without the bun, rather than deconstruct the burger. That way, I am not tempted to eat the bread. Edited to add, I had a low cal shot of hazelnut syrup on a latte half way through my journey. I usually don't have milk - just cream. Higher fats and lower carb.

In the evening, I had leek & steak in cream sauce. There had been a box of bakewell tarts on the table. I was glad when Mr AG took them away as they were calling to me! I wasn't hungry - just compelled by the idea of almonds, the feel of pastry and that white iciing and cherry on top!!

Today, I will probably clean the Airbnb before I eat. I get up a sweat while cleaning and will be very hungry by the time I eat. I can't wait that long if I'm not really busy. Before I started keto, I rarely allowed myself to feel physical hunger. Now I consciously wait until I am hungry to break my fats. Sometimes I eat around midday or 1pm, occasionally earlier. often I don't eat until 2 or 3pm. On cleaning days, it is often 4pm or so.

So my fasting pattern is most often 14:8 and more often more 18:6 ie I don't eat overnight, only break fast (breakfast) when hungry - not just because I got up & it's the habit. I'm eating two meals within 8 or 6 hours. I eat well and avoid snacking. If I start snacking, I think about eating more at my meals.

Last edited:
Well done on the weight loss! That is awesome! Your food always sounds soo good! Creamy leek, mmmmmmm. x

Yesterday - piece of cheese b4 cleaning the airbnb - and a bacon salad, 4 hazelnuts and 1/2 piece of dark choc afterwards plus almond biscuits.

Yesterday I had chili chicken & chicken skin while crispy, an a little bit of high carb polenta, peppers and tomatoes and a bit of onion. I was cleaning the Airbnb - so just had the one meal, followed by a bit of choc.

I am 1.4lbs down this morning for the week. That's really good as I had a close encounter with a chocolate bar on Tuesday. Usually I eat a square or two of 70-85% dark choc- but this was a bit lower at 56% & sweeter and I found it compelling! Bar eaten. Memo to self - only by 70% dark choc to avoid compulsion.

I also had a few drinks, the first alcohol in months, on Saturday. I bought several 75 calorie gin in a can drinks from Lidl - so gin in moderation with the girls on a zoom call.

So week 9 and 23lbs down - over a stone and a half My BMI is below 50 at 47.8.. Checking in on Monday has , for the past 2 weeks, been helpful in dissuading me in making bad choices over the weekend.

Out of 21 stone and into the 20s next week?

This lunchtime I've broken fast with a great stir fry - chicken, bean sprouts, peppers, bit of onion with soy sauce, chilli, fish sauce and a bit of sweetener. I added noodles and sweet chilli sauce to Mr AG's stir fry.

Busy here - so not been posting daily. Yesterday was a two meal day. First mean - 2 egg mayo salad after cleaning the airbnb.

l nearly broke fast late morning before l started. l took a decision not to eat and to clean first. Part way through l nearly stopped to eat - then decided to finish. lt took a bit longer than usual as there was a laundry issue and some carpet cleaning. lt was a good lesson that when l'm physically busy, it's easer to delay eating for longer.

Second meal beef/pork mince stir fry - really good with pak choi, broccoli, red peppers and onion. l probably eat more onion than most low carbers (many exclude them) because l like the taste and am still losing weight including them in my diet. l used sesame seeds, fish sauce, soy sauce and chilli sauce. l added some sweet chilli sauce and noodles for Mr AG's meal. i also had a piece of dark choc.

Thursday was some brazil nuts, an egg salad and a piece of choc. Wednesday 2 meals - chicken salad and steak with cream sauce, piece of choc.

Tuesday - in the car - McD sausage and egg no bun - and a hash brown. Asparagus and charcuterie, strawberries and cream with my bro in law and mum. Cheese burger no bun 5pm and 9pm on way home.

Excellent read - do you still find the electrolyte drinks helpful?

I had been doing ACV/lemon juice but slacked off (lazy). I also have some MCT oil, so might start that again for bulletproof coffees, etc.

And what sort of dark chocolate do you buy?

If I've been sweating a lot, I may have an electrolyte drink - maybe a couple of times a month. It was really useful the first 2 or 3 weeks for warding off headaches. I don't add ACV as I think it's a bit too acid on top of lemon for my teeth. I buy a dark choc in Lidl - 75% or more. it is so sharp I can't eat more than one or 2 squares - 4-8 carbs. Occasionally I'll have a raspberry one - higher carb.

I've not been using the MCT oil I have. I shall start again tomorrow.

I buy the dark choc in lidl too, I love a square of it just before bed. I !just look out for those gin cans, it would be good to have pre measured drinks and know exactly the call, carb and sugar value rather than have "just one glass of wine" that's filled to overspilling🤭

The gin cans were good. I've bought some little tonic water cans - and will use the remaining gin bottle when I next have a drink. It's a rare day now that I drink. I want slinky slim more than a lush time.

1.6lbs down this week despite a hickup with a loaf of white bread. 25.2lbs lost in 83 days - 1 stone 11.2lbs - 7.9% & half way to shedding 50lbs by Xmas. https://www.minimins.com/threads/get-to-slinky-again-and-staying-there.368008/post-8085076

I had slipped off daily posting - so will start that agaiin.

It is 11.44am - and no breakfast yet. I wait until I am hungry and never eat cereal. Occasionally it's bacon and an egg. Often an egg mayo salad or hot meat and veggie meal.

Breaking fast 12.40pm - a keto scone and bacon. Very breakfasty!

5.50pm 3 egg omlet with cheese. Dark chocolate.

Last edited:
Thats a nice long fast. At weekends i only est when i am hungry and often its one brunch style mesl at about 12pm. But tied to both break times and having to have prepared meals on work days

Back