Low-carb, high-protein diets increase risk of heart disease!

sarafvrm

Gold Member
Or so says the front page of the Express today. I don't read the Express but noticed this on the newspaper stand in the supermarket this morning. I haven't had time to find out what research this statement is based on - has anybody else? It's obviously of special interest to me as I have heart problems anyway.

I'd be grateful for any light anyone can shed.

You really have to take these studies with a pinch of salt (pardon the pun!). If you want to read it in full, here it is in the British Medical Journal (it's a long read) Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: prospective cohort study | BMJ

And then once you read all of this, look at the conclusion:

"they draw attention to the potential for considerable adverse effects on cardiovascular health of these diets"

And their added note:

"In a large cohort of women in Sweden, compelling evidence shows that low carbohydrate-high protein diets may increase cardiovascular risk"

Potential...May cause...nothing definitive there!

Plus carrying around excess weight, lack of exercise, a high fat/sugar diet is surely 10 times more likely to impact on our cardiovascular health.

But, if you are concerned, maybe have a chat with your GP.

well said, everything can be a risk, but obviously we do worry if something could be a potential problem. Hope you're mind it put to rest.

Thank you very much to the people who have taken the trouble to reply to my original post. I totally agree that being very overweight and unfit is likely to present a higher risk to cardiovascular health than eating a low-carb, high-protein diet, so have no problem 'cruising' to tw. I guess the real issue is where to go from there. And despite the fact this diet is supposed to tackle the lapse rate by including a consolidation phase and a stabilisation phase, people do seem to struggle after cruise. There just seem to be so many 'healthy-eating' bandwagons you can jump on - and I don't want to live my life like some crank! it would be good to be able to eat normal foods without developing huge cravings or, on the other side of the coin, phobias of certain food-types.

I think thats a problem with most of us though, we have put the weight on because of cravings for foods etc, my parents are in Stabilisation now and doing well. I think that once we get there its a case of making sure that we don't overindulge, ther is the chance to have snacks etc., but by then hopefully we will have re-conditioned our brains. I have about 5 stone to lose which it says will take me to January, then I've got a full year and half of consolidation before stabilisation, its a long time. But I figured that its taken me twenty years to try and lose weight with lots of bumps along the way, so a year and a half isnothing, esp if I actually lose the weight within the next 7 months,

There just seem to be so many 'healthy-eating' bandwagons you can jump on - and I don't want to live my life like some crank! it would be good to be able to eat normal foods without developing huge cravings or, on the other side of the coin, phobias of certain food-types.

I kept quiet on the original question (so unusual for me, I know!), because I know nothing... but, as you say here, how to get back to normal after Dukan!

Well... I'm trying! Your mention of phobias made me smile too because when my other half brought me out a handful of cherries the other evening, I was horrified! CHERRIES?! (They were delicious! and the scales stayed on their downward trend!) I definitely have a phobia of bananas and cherries... thanks Dukan!!

Back