Carbs...?

Minerva

...we're sinking deeper.
Carbohydrates are basically sugars and are more readily stored as fat when there's an excess. I'm not a scientist, but I have read research which indicates that which food group your calorie intake comes from is important. The less carbohydrates you have - the more readily your body will turn to other sources of energy. This is why diets such as Atkins work - without necessarily always cutting down on the calories tooooo much.

Roughly 10 percent of the calories you burn each day get burned by the act of digesting your food. But not all foods are created equal: Your body uses more calories to digest protein (20 to 35 calories burned for every 100 calories consumed) than it does to digest fats and carbohydrates (5 to 15 calories burned for every 100 calories consumed). That’s why adding lean, healthy protein to each meal and snack will help you burn more calories. Even better, protein can dull hunger and protect against obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.
Prime Your Metabolism | Eat This, Not That

And have a look here: How the Body Uses Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats | Diabetes Forecast Magazine

These are some basics... I do believe some Paleo writers also make good points in relation to benefits of cleaner, more protein orientated living.

In my opinion there are definitely merits to being low-carb for life, there are less blood-sugar spikes and more even energy distribution throughout the day. Less binges, less addiction. Carbs aren't bad as such - but it just depends on where they come from. Vegetables, fruit and legumes are good sources, but processed food is not.

Personally I stay away from refined sugar (and even natural sugars such as honey) because I feel better that way. I do notice a definite lethargic onset and body bloat when I have bread - but nothing of the sort when I have vegetables/fruit... so I'll be continuing to stay low-carb generally - except for special occasions. :)

Back