Low carb is the way forward!

Dont worry about the chicken too much. Sugarsnap peas not ideal but frankly carbs from green veggies are really not the most evil (i am still waiting for someone to overeat green veg and prove me wrong;) )

Aw spangly, sorry to hear you have been feeling low.

Mistakes happen, and as katie says, don't worry too much. You certainly didn't have a major blow out!

Sending you a virtual hug.

Don't worry, that's still small amounts of sugar.

As a rule of thumb, assume ANYTHING in a packet is going to have either sugar or starch in it; you just wouldn't believe how bad it is out there. Ever hopeful, I'm constantly picking up boxes in supermarkets, reading the nutrition stuff on the back and then throwing them back on the shelf in frustration!

I do understand the terror of putting on weight eating any kind of carb, I feel it too, but I think I'm more scared of developing some kind of carb-phobic eating disorder! Katie's right, green veg ain't going to hurt you, and I am certain a little processed meat won't make you balloon up.

You just keep on keeping on, and it all comes right in the end.

Thanks, guys. I know I was over-reacting, but it's early days for me, and this is such a radical lifestyle change and goes against everything we're indoctrinated with re saturated fat and wholemeal/complex carbohydrates etc. Even though I believe it makes total sense, part of my brain is still unsure if it will work for me... The whole 'too good to be true' feeling... And then a small mistake and I find myself going 'I told you so.' and beating myself up. That's where some of the CBT and TA from lighter life is useful, to keep those unhelpful spiralling thoughts in check...

Well, had an ok night's sleep apart from an hour around 1am where I was wide awake. Feel a bit better today, but no appetite to speak of this morning and then also headachey and nauseous. Thought my stick might be tinged pink today, but no. Oh well! My clothes are a bit looser, so I guess I must be doing something right, eh?

Had a small piece of chicken, some small pieces of ham and a piece of cauliflower for breakfast. Have made up a mega-salad for lunch with red cabbage, cos lettuce, red and yellow peppers, rocket and broccoli. I've got some chicken to have with it, and an avocado for mid-afternoon.

Getting v scared re India! Excited... but also stepping into the unknown is quite an adventure! Eek! I'm travelling out there with a colleague but after a few days she is coming back so I'm doing the second half, internal flight, and return flight to the UK on my own. I've flown back from the US on my own before now, and I like flying... but it's a completely new experience to be in India.

Sounds to me like you might have atkins flu? How many days have you been lc- ing? If so, drink lots of water, take paracetamol for the head if needed, try chicken stock as soup (check carbs on pack). It will go soon - eat when hungry and dont succumb to carbs;)

Good morning Spangly.

Wow, impressive weight loss! Well done!

I understand being stressed about your trip to India. But it's only a week, right? One thing that might help is to go to your local indian restaurant and talk to them about what dishes are Atkins friendly. I did that and was surprised to find that there are lots of dishes that are low carb, many more than one would expect.

Nelle

I was dabbling for a week or so (I know, I know!) and then went off-road at the weekend. Major-bloat-tastic-ness ensued, so I knuckled down on Monday to do this properly. Have been absolutely commited (apart from unintentional wee mistakes) since Monday morning - so only a few days I realise.

Can you tell I'm quite an impatient person... at all?! :rolleyes:

I haven't done a ticker as I am too scared to step on the scales (!) but will do post-India. I know I'm above my goal/ideal weight of 146lb as some of my favourite trousers are impossible to fasten at the moment :sigh:... but I'm still convinced, from everything I've read (on here and in books and elsewhere online) that low carb is the woe for me longer term. Just want to get back into my spangly (!) clothes again. NOW!!

(Well, and rather more practically, one of the suits I was planning to take to India is indecently tight at the moment so I'm dithering about getting bigger trousers at lunchtime today... aaaargh)

If it "is" induction flu, does that mean I will soon feel really brilliant?!

Well I didn't get bigger trousers and tried some on again this evening and, whilst v snug, they're getting better! Phew

I'm fancying raw asparagus for lunch but am not sure if you can eat it uncooked. Any views? (having discovered the joys of raw broccoli recently I do hope so!)

Totally no appetite and nauseous a bit this morning. The big 'K'?! Made two scrambled eggs though and had a cup of tea with unsweetened soya milk. Need to have something green before lunch... Maybe the asparagus?

And I bet it's high in carbs... Like the sugarsnap peas... Please no! I'd best go check...

Asparagus fine in induction - slightly higher end so only one mug a day instead of 2:D

It's fairly tough and fibery so i would recommend cooking - doesnt take long in the microwave with a tsp of water. I like mine al dente - my parents always complaining. Oh and excellent cold after cooking too so ideal for salad.

Enjoy:D

Morning Spangly, I sauté asparagus in butter, yum yum

Greetings from India! :-D

I seem to be managing to stay reasonably low-carb, despite being miles from home and being offered all kinds of delicious temptations. (I LOVE Indian food). Only difficulty has been getting enough protein as I'm trying not to eat too much meat/fish while here as I've been advised to stay veggie as much as possible to avoid tummy upsets.) I've had the most amazing food so far - loads of vegetable curries (cauliflower, green beans, brocolli, coconut) and have avoided the breads and rice (although people keep getting worried I'm not eating enough - I was taken to a restaurant and because I wouldn't have bread or rice they insisted I have something else. In the end I asked for some curried spinach and the chef made it for me specially!!)

Clothes are still fitting ok - I haven't been weighing myself (despite scales in the hotel rooms) as I have enough stress going on just with being over here on my own (my colleague flew back yesterday) and all the meetings I've got.

Water hasn't been a problem as the hotels and offices give you bottled water - I was worried before I came that I wouldn't be able to drink enough as the tap water is unsafe.

So on the whole doing ok. I expect to gain a bit while here but the main thing is this woe really IS do-able!!

I'm going to dinner at the boss's house this evening and hope to be able to report back on lots of delicious low-carb delights. The people here really are amazing - so hospitable and friendly.

Morning spangly, sounds fantastic love. :)

Well done spangly, hope you are having a blast:)

brilliant trip - but happy to be home! :)

Back