Low carb is the way forward!

Morning spangly, yes it's always nice to get home isn't it love.

Could do with a pep talk today as I'm feeling really low :(. Having survived the week away in India without expanding too much I've been silly all week since and can't get in the zone and am gaining weight at a rate of knots. Help!!

How do I get focused before none of my clothes fit anymore? I try each day, manage to do really well until the evening. Then the wine comes out or the g&t and then the munchies. Gah! What's wrong with me?! :cry:

Just don't understand why I'm sabotaging myself like this. I'm cooking fab Atkins-legal meals, and being really creative, but then it all goes to pot in the evening. I expect I'm not being strict enough to get into ketosis, hence the cravings and alcohol obviously isn't sensible as it leads to the munchies etc... and weight gain. Can anyone offer any help/advice/comfort?

Well, i resisted last night - went to bed mega-early, and feel much better for it. Hopefully a few days will get me back into
ketosis and the world will seem a better place!

Morning spangly ... Yes, I go to bed early as one of my tactics if I can't trust myself not to graze! Hopefully you'll get into Ketosis soon and you'll find it lots easier xx

Morning spangly, the only help i can offer is to get your head in the right place. not much help i know, sorry.

I'm trying to, Jim. I know from LL that it's all psychological and getting the right mental attitude is key. Thing is, the first few days trying to low carb and get into ketosis are where your resistance can be lowest and carb cravings kick in... I must be strong. Keep reminding myself that in a few days I will feel SO MUCH BETTER. (chants mantra to self...)

So yesterday I had

B: small bag scratchings (I know, but I wasn't hungry!)
L: cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower salad with 1 boiled egg, 1 cooked sausage (low carb: I checked the label) and some blue cheese
D: roast chicken with spring greens and garlic butter

LOTS of water
1 x coffee w cream
2 x tea w unsweetened soya milk

Today so far:

B: coffee w cream, piece of raw cauliflower from the fridge
(I'm guessing someone - Jim? - is going to come along and tell me to cut the cream and the cheese... and also make sure to eat breakfast!)

Hi there spangly. If you can have a better breakfast it does set you up for the day. You dont need to cut the cream and cheese unless you have tested sticking strictly to induction and then find you stall (officially defined as four weeks with no weight or inch loss) - not everyone does. In fact for me it's really important to keep my fat up - that's when i lose most. I wouldn't have got this far if i'd cut it out:)

I usually do eat breakfast - I agree it's important! - but the past couple of days haven't been hungry. Which is more important: eating at regular intervals to keep your blood sugar/insulin levels steady, or following your hunger?

I also get confused by whether calories matter or not. Seems the more I read the more confused I get! Do I need to worry about calories/carefully control portion sizes?

Morning spangly, I never worried about calories or portion control. i ate when I was hungry and followed KISS principles.

I know - you talk such sense!

Must be doing something right though. Realised I was feeling a bit better today, and nowhere near the same carb cravings. Did a keto stick just now and it was PINK. Hurrah!

Maybe I just need to be patient?

(I think I know the answer to that question!)

Yesterday:

B: coffee w cream and small piece cauliflower
L: cabbage and broccoli salad w blue cheese, 1 sausage and 1 egg
D: Cold roast chicken w spring greens, runner beans and garlic butter

lots of water
2 x tea

Today:

B: Coffee w cream (I KNOW, I KNOW!!! tsk tsk)
L: Cabbage, cauliflower and pepper salad w blue and cheddar cheeses and small quantity of mayonnaise (full-fat)
D: (will be) mackerel and assorted green veg (I haven't decided what yet but probably sprouts among others)

Morning spangly, looks good to me, how's things today? :)

Hi, Jim!

I'm very proud of myself as I actually had breakfast today :)

I made a frittata last night of eggs, green beans, sprouts (leftover veg) and bacon lardons, and had two slices of it this morning. I've got the rest of it with me for lunch. Yummy!

How do I know if I'm eating the right amount? Just not being hungry or overfull? It might sound like a daft question but after years of dieting/overeating/blood sugar swings and cravings etc I've really lost touch with how "comfortably satisfied" feels after meals...

If you're on a diet, you're usually starving, all the time - your self-inflicted "penance" for being overweight. If you're not on a diet, you're either starving from low blood sugars between meals or too full from eating too much of the wrong things too quickly.

Atkins is a revelation. Dare I say I feel "normal"?! (When you lot get to know me better I'm sure you will have no hesitation in contradicting me on this point!! ;))

er... so much for being "normal". Had several g & ts last night. oops! :eek:

(and then the munchies - so some biscuits. DOH!!)

But this is normal, right? I mean I'm only trying to lose a very few pounds... I'm maintaining really? Have to let one's hair down from time to time...

(Justifies it madly to herself ...)

Morning spangly, I never tried to define full really, I probably still eat and drink too much, but because i tend to stick to Atkins friendly, it's no longer a problem

i wouldn't have had the biscuits though, I only allow myself one carby portion a day, either potato/rice/pasta/bread etc.

I know - biscuits are a total no-no. I wish we didn't have them in the house tbh but hubby and my daughters love them. They don't tempt me usually anymore - just after a g&t my resistance is lowered!

Back